“Beautiful Views... In the right room”

Ranked #19 of 105 Hotels in Colorado Springs
Reviewed June 27, 2009

I have intended to add this review for some time now. Our son is in the USAFA in Colorado Springs, and we visited the city for parents weekend. We had fairly high expectations for Cheyenne Mountain based on their web site. Especially for a 4-Star hotel. It was a little higher and a little farther away from the Academy than we preferred, but decided to splurge and enjoy the weekend. Plus we got a more acceptable rate through an online travel site.

The bell-hops were very friendly and were a good first impression of the resort... in addition to the rustic beauty at the foot of the mountains. The entry, lobby area, and gorgeous mountain and lake view out the panoramic windows opposite the entry was impressive. But that quickly was deflated by the person at the front desk. First the couple in front of us were embarrassed when she shouted for all to hear that if they were going to pay with a debit card they would have to put a hold on their card. The volume and tone didn't set too well. Not sure of the purpose.

When it was our turn, we asked if there were any rooms with a good view of the mountain (we had requested this in advance), and she quickly looked in her computer and checked us in. As we walked into the room, outside entry, on the first floor, the air was very musty and moldy. The view out the window... if you got as far to the left as possible and tried to look around the corner, you could see a glimpse of the mountain. We called the front desk and a young man answered our call.

He quickly apologized and said he would correct the problem... which he did... sorta. He found us a room on the 2nd floor of the same building. The room was cleaner and did not have an odor... but when we opened the curtain.... a view of a tree... blocking the view of the mountain. We almost settled, but we would not have been satisfied.

So we called the front desk again... the original woman answered the phone... in which we quickly asked for the young gentleman. He was not at the front desk at the moment so we asked for him to call us, and he did within minutes. He apologized again and said to give him a few minutes and he would call us back.

It was only a few minutes, and he did call us back. He was actually happy that he was going to place us in a different building (Dove Creek). He stated with a smile in his voice that he felt we would be very pleased with this room. This is the type of service and attitude you would expect at a 4-Star hotel, and he delivered.

This building had inside entry and was located just across the walkway from the main building (lobby, restaurant, etc). It had an elevator to our floor instead of stairs. It was immediately obvious that this building was more up to date. And he was right about the room. We were on the top floor with a beautiful view out the balcony.

We stayed for a few days, and thanks to that young man (I am sorry that I cannot remember his name!) we had a very pleasant stay in a beautiful and comfortable room... a truly 4-Star room. The restaurant was great, BUT you must try the Sunday Brunch if at all possible. From our point of view you get exactly what you pay for. Tremendous options, with every one of them being simply superb.

We are going back to Colorado Springs in Sept for parents weekend, and are considering staying at Cheyenne Mountain again on this trip. Its a little pricey for the casual traveler. But if you search the travel sites, you might find a more acceptable rate to push you over the edge to try a slightly higher scale experience.

Overall... we can recommend this hotel to you as we have done so with our friends and USAFA parents. What started out a disappointment... turned into a very nice stay... thanks to a very valuable employee who saved the day for us. In today's travel... you don't always get the service you expect and deserve. even at at 3.0-4.0 Star hotels. Cheyene Mountain... although it does need updating in some buildings... delivered in a truly 4-Star way. We hope to be back on multiple trips over the next few years.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jmarkw
samiam08, Director of Rooms at Cheyenne Mountain Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2009

Hello jmarkw,

I must say that I am very impressed with the level of detail you have provided in your review. Thank you for taking the time to write all that you did and for providing a full view of your stay from beginning to end.

It is an honor to serve the families of United States Air Force Academy cadets. Over the years we have had the pleasure of serving many for Parents Weekend and Graduation; some have stayed with us each of the four years considering the resort their home in Colorado Springs. Last month we provided complimentary rooms, dinner and breakfast for twenty new cadets the night before they reported to the Academy. I had the pleasure of getting to know some of these exceptional young men and women and was truly impressed by their desire to serve their country. You must be very proud of your cadet. Congratulations!

About the rooms and views, I was glad to here that one of our great staff members rose to the occasion to find the perfect room for you; thank you for singing his praises. Like every hotel and resort each room at Cheyenne Mountain Resort has a different angle to its view, so I thank you for your patience as the perfect one was found; the third time was indeed the charm. And please know we are working with a designer to develop a fresh look for all of our guest rooms; the process has been slowed considerably by these difficult economic times.

Happy to know you had time to enjoy Sunday Brunch. It is a favorite with our guests and neighbors and I recommend you ask for a table on the terrace for the view of the Front Range makes the experience a delight for all the senses.

Thank you for your closing comments about Cheyenne Mountain Resort, and I hope you will indeed visit us for years to come. Kindly let me know if I may be of any assistance to you or your young cadet.

Wishing you a Happy Independence Day Weekend,

There are newer reviews for Cheyenne Mountain Resort

Reviewed June 22, 2009

My husband had a business function for four days at Cheyenne Mountain Resort and I tagged along for fun. We added two days to the trip so we could relax and see Colorado Springs. The rooms are outdated with dark furnishings and ugly carpet. However, our bathroom had two sinks; one in the room with the toilet and shower and one outside of that area. AND both sinks had a large vanity area so you could actually put your toiletries on the counter and not worry about them being knocked off into the toilet. The resort has a pool by the main lodge that is a nice place for relaxing. Patrons of the resort can also use the country club that is located there that has an indoor and outdoor pool, workout facilities and golf. We don't golf, I don't swim laps and I exercise in my room with dvd's. But, we did check out the workout facilities for my husband and he wasn't thrilled. Seemed a bit crowded, but I don't like public workout facilities anyway.
The staff was helpful and room service orders always arrived quickly. I inquired about renting a car for a day and the bell staff was extremely helpful. Hertz works with the hotel and brought the car to us and let us drop it off at the airport for no extra charge; all at a very reasonable rate.
The restaurant was wonderful. We had dinner there two nights, breakfast two mornings and I had room service lunch twice. Their spinach watermelon salad is fantastic, the omelettes are above average and the entrees we had for dinner were outstanding. I liked the spinach watermelon salad so much I think I had it at least four times during our stay.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business

Hello rdh13808,

How nice that you could join your husband on his business trip and spend some time with us. I understand your thoughts about our guest rooms; we are currently working with a designer to create a new look, but like most “home improvement” projects this is taking longer than we had anticipated so your understanding is appreciated.

Thank you for mentioning all the recreation we offer, for there is truly something for everyone, and our partners at Hertz will be happy to know you were pleased with their service.

I am sure you will make Chef Brother Luck's day when he learns how much you enjoyed the watermelon salad. It is part of our new Colorado Fusion menu that features fresh Colorado ingredients presented in a southwestern style. Next time you must try the ribs, and my personal favorite, the salmon.

We appreciate your being our guests and when you plan a return visit I hope you will contact me directly.

Wishing you a Happy July 4th!

Reviewed June 20, 2009

The rooms were ok, It is nice to have all the pool, boat, fishing charges included in the resort fee, the resturant is a little overpriced but not to bad. The only complaint was the A/C did not work correctly and I called the main desk but they did not do anything to correct the problem. So for now I don't know if I would recommend it or not, but it was nice enough to possibly give it another try and review it agian later

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank rshkj

Dear rshkj,

Glad to know that you enjoyed the beach, pools and fishing at Cheyenne Mountain Resort they are among the resort's most favorite activities in the summer months. But I was sorry to read that the air conditioning was not repaired to your satisfaction, and I will speak with Front Desk staff about their lack of responding, as that is truly not the level of service you should have experienced.

If you would be so kind to give us a "second chance" please contacts me directly at our toll free number 800-428-8886.

Thank you for taking the time to write about Cheyenne Mountain Resort. We appreciate your choosing to stay with us.

Reviewed June 20, 2009

The champagne brunch was exceptional. The food was seasonal, the atmosphere was sophisticated, but not stuffy. I especially enjoyed the omlet station, as they prepare the omlet right there on the spot, and have a variety of items to choose from. The smoked salmon, eggs benedict, veal stew, ect. were great as well. Some items change to add variety. The best part of this was the view of Cheyene Mountian from our table outside on the terrace.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank chipbj65
samiam08, Director of Rooms at Cheyenne Mountain Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 29, 2009

Dear chipbj65,

Thank you for your nice note about our Sunday Brunch. The culinary staff works very hard on the weekends to ensure that each brunch is full of delicious choices, and I am glad you enjoyed what they prepared.

I agree that the view from Mountain View Restaurant’s terrace is quite spectacular, and on a lovely day it is arguably the best al fresco dining in Colorado Springs, perhaps even all of Colorado.

We look forward to having the pleasure of your company again, and on behalf of the Cheyenne Mountain Resort, thank you for choosing to spend your Sunday with us.

Truly,

Reviewed June 17, 2009

My wife, two teenage daughters and I stayed three nights at the Cheyenne Mountain Resort and had a great time. I had to leave them at the hotel during an entire day while I was working and they had plenty to do. They went to the beach, went swimming, went boating, and ate all without leaving the hotel grounds. The room was clean and the staff was very very friendly and responsive to our needs. If we get a chance to go back, we will.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
samiam08, Director of Rooms at Cheyenne Mountain Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2009

Dear Mr. Rockout7,
I was so glad to read that the time you and your family spent at Cheyenne Mountain Resort was so enjoyable. And I am very happy know that your family took full advantage of the lake, pools and boatis. Perhaps during your next visit you will be able to join them more often and have time to play a round of golf or a set or two of tennis.
Thank you for your kind words about our staff; they all work extremely hard and it will be inspiring for them to know how they have delighted you.
We will look forward to your next visit, and if I may assist you in any way I hope you will contact me directly at the resort. Until then I wish you a Happy Father’s Day and hope you and your family have a wonderful summer.

Truly,

Reviewed June 5, 2009

Staying here for a 5 day conference. I expected something special based on their web site pictures but the resort is very old, near busy streets, in need of a major tune up and not what I would consider at all special or upscale. Below average based on everything I've seen so far. Make sure you view your room before accepting it. I have a "great view" overlooking a parking lot and right next to a very busy street. The Bear Creek Lodge building. Steer clear.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
samiam08, Director of Rooms at Cheyenne Mountain Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2009

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about your recent stay at Cheyenne Mountain Resort. I was sorry to read that you were disappointed with your room and its location.

The east side of Bear Creek Lodge is located next to Club House Drive which is the private road to the Country Club of Colorado at Cheyenne Mountain Resort. With the return of summer weather and beautiful Colorado mornings, we have seen an increase of guests and members using the road to access the golf course, tennis courts, fitness center, swimming pools, splash fountain, beach and lake.

Your thoughts about our room design is very timely as just last week we were in conversation wtih our owner about moving into to the next phase of the room renovations which will bring a new look to all 316 guest rooms. Like any major home improvement project there is a lengthy timeline to completion, but we do take your comments seriously and want you to know that we are in the process of making changes.

If there is anything else you wish to share about your experiences at Cheyenne Mountain Resort I hope that you will contact me perosnlly on the resort's toll free line 1-800-428-8886.

I thank you for your candor and wish you a great day.

Reviewed January 4, 2009

First off a 4star rating is very inaccurate. The rooms need more updating. The two sinks in our room took forever to drain. The heater in the room was very outdated. The bed's seemed to be very old. There was some kind of problem with the air circulation in the room. I started getting sick our first day there, had to keep going in the hall or outside to feel better. Caught a cold virus my first night there in the room. Felt better when out of the room for the day. But everytime back in the room, got more sick. Pretty sad that by the third night had to sleep with sliding door open for air, even with a snow storm going on outside. The staff was rude on check in. The lounge was over priced 5.25 for a beer, what a joke. Very dissapointed with this place.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
samiam08, Director of Rooms at Cheyenne Mountain Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2009

I was sorry to read that this was not a pleasant stay at Cheyenne Mountain Resort, but I am appreciative of the candor in the remarks.

The design of the room is in need of updating, and our owners have recently toured a number of designers with the goal of making a decision about a new look to be unveiled later in the year.

We are very serious about cleanliness and have taken repeated steps to ensure that our practices are effective while not being overbearing to the senses. Without a specific room number it is difficult to provide a more detailed response to the observations made in this review. The slow drain should have been fixed as soon as it was reported, and if our staff did not respond promptly, again I apologize for the shortcoming.

The perception of our staff being rude at check-in concerns me greatly, so I will be sharing this review with the Front Desk as an example of a missed opportunity to make that all important first impression.

Pricing beverages in the lounge always requires finding the right balance between the resort’s costs and the guest’s expectations. I will be sure that the Director of Food and Beverage is aware of this observation so that he can further review the matter as well.

Please know that comments such as these are taken to heart throughout the resort for we realize the more we hear from our guests the more we learn about what is important to them, which in return gives us the opportunity to provide the experience they expect.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Colorado Springs
Garden of the Gods Club and Resort
Garden of the Gods Club and Reso...
#3 of 105 in Colorado Springs
The Mining Exchange A Wyndham Grand Hotel & Spa
The Mining Exchange A Wyndham Gr...
#5 of 105 in Colorado Springs
Colorado Springs Marriott
Colorado Springs Marriott
#29 of 105 in Colorado Springs
Best Western Plus Peak Vista Inn & Suites
Best Western Plus Peak Vista Inn...
#4 of 105 in Colorado Springs

Been to Cheyenne Mountain Resort? Share your experiences!