“EXCELLENT FOOD, BAD MARGARITAS”

Pueblo Viejo Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #170 of 1,428 Restaurants in Colorado Springs
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“EXCELLENT FOOD, BAD MARGARITAS”
Reviewed January 6, 2012

Great Mexican food but WEAK happy hour drinks regular drinks "MARGARITAS" r usually good

Frankfort, Illinois
“Authentic Food and great service for a good price”
Reviewed December 11, 2011

My husband and I often go to Pueblo Viejo when we are in the mood for Mexican cuisine. We used to go to the location off Academy and now go to their newer location on Powers Blvd.

The price is good, the food comes out quickly, and it is always delicious. The servers are always friendly and helpful. Save room for the warm and gooey sopapillas!

They often have coupons in the local coupon magazines and Valpak for buy 1, get 1 entree half off.

• Visited November 2011
Colorado Springs, CO
“Very good.”
Reviewed June 3, 2011

Contrary to all the negative comments from the previous reviewer, I think this restaurant is good. There are not really any authentic Mexican restaurants in Colorado Springs. Once you get over that fact, this restaurant is more than acceptable.

How can someone complain about the food coming out hot? I typically order simple fare such as a combination of a taco and enchilada and enjoy every bit. The day we were there, the salsa was spicy and delicious.

The menu is overwhelmingly large, but if you are like me, one would zone in on the items that one likes and the size of the menu becomes irrelevant as long as your favorites are there. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone.

• Visited May 2011
2 Thank catgirl398
Florida
“Pueblo Viejo (new Powers location) don't bother”
Reviewed April 18, 2011

I visited the new Pueblo Viejo that recently opened on Powers. I have never been to the other location but when a new restaurant opens, I figure it's usually the best time to go since they are really trying to make sure everything is good, well, it wasn't!

The menu was really overwhelming with 6 pages of choices, and once I saw they had a Hawaiian and Greek salad, there was red flag number one. Why would a Mexican restaurant have this? After 10 minutes and a few questions later, we made our choices.

Out come the chips and salsa, yikes, the chips tasted like the bulk variety that they warmed-up and the salsa was watery, no spice, very little flavor. Our entrees were served by a waitress with oven mitts, warning the plates were hot. NO KIDDING! We had to wait awhile for the food to cool off, poking at it to let the steam out and blowing on it before taking a bite.
Besides the burn hazard of the plate, the presentation was a real turn-off. I hate food covered in sauce, usually a sign they are trying to cover something up. If your taste-buds are alive, no amount of sauce can elevate any meal, period!

I ordered the Pork burrito with chile verde, the server asked if I wanted my chile relleno soft or crispy, I ordered crispy but the sauce made it soggy. I could not distinguish what cheese they used for the filling but it had no taste, the poblano had no heat and as mentioned the crust was a soggy goo. The refried beans seemed to be straight out of a can, topped with a little cheese and garnish. The rice was also bland. The burrito tortilla was so wet from the sauce and heat that it tasted doughy and after three bites into my pork burrito I was stabbed with a searing pain from biting on a piece of bone, in the "boneless" meat, I couldn't eat the rest, the pain was too much! I spit the bite out and told my server, who only said, "oh no" and walked away. I was shocke. When she was about to pass by again, I politely asked for the manager.

The manager offered a new plate, I decided to order the same thing but with the chicken and all the sauce on the side, to go. He also offered dessert so we had the sopapilla honey dessert.
The sopaillas were plated as 6 small triangles laying in their own fried grease and covered with so much honey, you needed a fork to eat it, they were flat as a pancake and undercooked on the inside, which made them super soft and didn't hurt the other side of my mouth, so I was able to get a couple down. What a dissapointment!

As for the food I took home, the chicken tasted like canned chicken in their red sauce, which also tasted like canned tamale/enchilada sauce.

I was really amazed at how everything tasted like it came from a can, bland bland bland, absolutely no flavor. I just can't believe how some of these people stay in business. Perhaps people who eat out all the time are accustomed to a processed tongue? I cook at home 90% of the time, and I rarely find any good eats out there among all those restaurants, but I like to try though because it just validates my culinary progress.

So, although the atmosphere is nice, Pueblo Viejo is a bust for me!!
I don't like biting into bones in "boneless" food and hurting my teeth. I don't like my food covered in sauce. I don't like my food being put together by an assembly-line and baked until the plate is a burn-hazard. Finally, I hate being ripped-off by paying for something that tastes like it came from a can, YUCK! I will NOT be returning to Pueblo Viejo.

My next stop will be the new Three Margaritas that will be opening soon on Powers.

• Visited April 2011
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“So Good”
Reviewed June 11, 2010

If you are visiting Colorado Springs and want to visit a locals favorite, Pueblo Viejo is the place for you. The food is excellent, the service is superb, and the margaritas are tasty and strong. (I recommend the Original or the Pueblo Viejo margaritas.) We eat here regularly and every Pueblo Viejo is the standard we hold all other Mexican restaurants to.