“What a crappy hole in the wall”

Quality Inn & Suites, Garden of the Gods
Ranked #42 of 105 Hotels in Colorado Springs
New York City, New York
“What a crappy hole in the wall”
Reviewed July 26, 2013

OMG, worst experience of my life. What a waste of good money and no refunds either. Very unclean, and bad odors too. This place is in need of a serious makeover. The pictures on the website dont look anything like the actual hotel does now. Avoid this place, especially if you have children.

Room Tip: Avoid this place. Not worth it at all.
1 Thank ArmyBratt90210
Steve R, Owner at Quality Inn & Suites, Garden of the Gods, responded to this review, July 28, 2013
Unfortunately, you visited us during a problematic time at our hotel. After much research, we finally determined that one of the chemicals being used by our housekeeping staff was creating a unpleasant odor which permeated many of our rooms. We have since removed this chemical and eliminated the problem you referred to. I am sorry that you visited us during this period. Please rest assured that our hotel is back to the award winning status that has gained us five Gold Awards from Choice Hotels for cleanliness the past five years. Please call our General Manager, Richard if you would like to stay with us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Denton, Texas, United States
Reviewed July 23, 2013

When we got in the room it smelled like pee. We went to WalMart to buy air freshner. The tubs wouldn't drain. We took them apart, and it was full of hair. We ask housekeeping for clean sheets, cause the one we had were diry they told us no. Housekeeping was very rude. I will never stay here again.

1 Thank Deanna C
Victoria, Texas
Reviewed July 19, 2013

Greeted by a friendly clerk. Checkin was easy. Clerk very helpful with food suggestions for area.

Room was easy to get to. Really surprised to have 2 bathrooms in our suite. Lighting was a little outdated. Beds had a little sag to them. Place was clean but a little older. Nice having 2 TVs. AC worked well in one room but the fan only operated in auto and would not run nonstop in an on position in other room just in automatic but still cooled nice.

It was a little cool to swim outside in the heated pool. Disappointed there was no hot tub to sit in and enjoy the view of the mountains.

Breakfast was busy. We went down during the last hour it was available and were not able to get biscuits. All the other food options were still available.

Check out was smooth.

Easy to get to off of I-25.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the mountains or a room that opens to the pool
Austin, Texas
Reviewed July 18, 2013

We stayed here on a family trip to visit the US Air Force Academy and Pike's Peak. Both attractions are worth the trip, and I highly recommend them both. The stay would have been all the better had it not been for the hotel. Too bad.

Check-in is 4pm (a little late compared to many other hotels) and when I got there at 4:03pm, there was only one person handling check-in for 4-5 people. He was good, did his best, was professional, courteous, and handled everything perfectly. He just needed someone else. Where were they? He even called for assistance and nobody came. Shame on them.

I reserved a King room but asked if there were any rooms w/2 queens. All they had were suites w/2 queens and if interested, I could upgrade for $20/night. Sounded fine, so I did.

The room was okay, everything was fairly clean. However, there was a dirty towel left from the previous guest hanging on the bathroom door. Also, there were no plastic drinking cups in the bathroom. A bit uncomfortable, but a little slip-up, no big deal. We used the cups provided in the living room bath, but they did not replace those the next day. They don't seem to get the idea of quality-control checks. There was also a badly-patched hole in the bathroom door. Finally, the beds sank, even on the outside. Not good.

We had been traveling in our car with a small cooler, so being able to store things in the refrigerator was great. The thermostat was set to about 5, and having no instructions, I assumed the Housekeeping had set it to normal settings. When we got up the next day, the items next to the freezer unit had frozen. I let them thaw out and placed them back inside, then called the Front Desk. They said 2-3 was normal, and that the temp should have been set to this. I informed them what happened, but thanked them for the info. They offered to have Maintenance come in and check it out, so I said okay. I appreciate them wanting to fix the issue.

When we got back at the end of the day, the same items had frozen again so we had to throw them out. Also, Maintenance had been in, and wrote a short note (left on the bed) that the proper setting should be 2. Gee, thanks. Wish I would have known that before this issue... To top it off, they left a dirty maintenance rag on the bathroom counter. Again, leaving towels/rags in a supposed clean bathroom.

They advertised a "Full Complimentary Breakfast". Except, they did not provide any eggs, sausage, bacon, etc. All they had were biscuits w/gravy, waffles, cereals, muffins, bread, and some fruit. Normal beverages you would expect from a hotel chain of this level. I don't mind a limited amount, but when I asked if they were going to have anything different the next day, they said no, it will be the same. And it was. Too many breads/grains, etc. Would have been nice to have had something other than breads/etc.

Finally, they advertised "hi-speed wi-fi." We logged in fine, but the speed was very slow with many dropped connections. We would have to re-connect 2-3 times/session. We manage internet-based college classes, and while these are not always speed-required, we do need something faster than what they provided. When my wife called to ask about the speed, she was told by the Front Desk that the system was designed to handle email traffic, and really nothing else. We're not YouTube/music streaming people, so needing fast bandwidth is not essential, but it would be nice to not have to re-connect several times. I actually had a stronger signal from the Hyatt Place across the parking lot.

When we checked out, I spoke to the General Manager about these issues. I had written them down and handed the note pad sheets to him. He was quite concerned about each issue, and we spoke about them individually. He assured me he did not condone the problems in any way, and he did not try to tell me I was wrong or misunderstood. He offered a refund of the upgrade and assured me he would address each of these issues.

I have traveled enough to understand things can go wrong, and that isolated, each of these issues would be small enough to not warrant mention. But, when added up, it was just too much. I do appreciate that the GM was not happy with how his property handled the issues, and for the price (upgrade included), it was not a wholly terrible experience. There were just too many little things.

1 Thank cm632000
Silver City, New Mexico
Reviewed July 16, 2013

I booked this hotel for my entire family because it's "award winning." It was much more expensive than other hotels so I was keeping my fingers crossed. First of all, the suite was no bigger than what we usually have in Clarion's. It has an extra bathroom which we do appreciate. The rooms were clean and comfortable and the hotel is at a great location. But one of the bathrooms does not drain and the other stinks badly. The breakfast time was chaotic. The first day we managed to find a place to sit and ate our breakfast. The second day, we simply couldn't find a place to sit. Also, there was a long line of people trying to make waffles because other than that, only biscuits and gravy were available on the hot breakfast menu. We have been to other hotels that are $30-$40 cheaper than Quality Inn & Suites but offer more hot breakfast choices. We booked two nights in advance and were so happy to leave the hotel when it was time to head home.

1 Thank SarahSWalker
Steve R, Owner at Quality Inn & Suites, Garden of the Gods, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
As an owner, I am never happy to hear of a guest who is dissatisfied. The suite you had is one of the largest in town with two bathrooms, two flat screen televisions, a sitting area and separate sleeping room. I wish you had brought to our attention the problem with the drain in the bathroom as we are quick to respond with maintenance fixes. We do rotate our breakfast selections and offer biscuits & gravy on some days while we offer scrambled eggs with either sausage or bacon on other days. We always complement those choices with either pancakes or waffles as well as a full selection of sweet breads, yogurts, and fresh fruit. Again, I am sorry that you did not find full satisfaction with your stay.
Mansfield, TX
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Desk was understaffed and not very helpful. On a Saturday night during peak tourist season (July), there was only one person working the front desk. There were 5 people in line when we arrived so we left for an hour or so to run some errands. When we returned there were 3 people in line and still only one person on the desk.

The wireless network is NOT secure. The internet worked for about 30 minutes and then was down for the rest of the night. The front desk was no help- said to call tech support. Spent about 40 minutes with level 1 and level 2 tech support people before they concluded that the problem was with an access point at the hotel. Again the front desk was no help.

Breakfast was a zoo. Too many people, not enough room. Walked next door to a resturaunt.

Can not get to office or breakfast without walking outside.

Comments about our king room:
Nice large vanity. Mildew stains in the shower. Otherwise the room was okay.

Room Tip: Unless the improve the quantity and quality of the staffing, go elsewhere. If you decide to stay be...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank David S
I am sorry that your check-in to our hotel was not quick and efficient. This is out of the ordinary for us. Yes, during our busy season, breakfast is at times crowded, however, we insure that we will have all of our items available during the entire three hour breakfast period. I hope that you will consider giving us another opportunity to show you fine hotel and service excellence. Please feel free to call me directly and I will make you a special offer to return. Thank you for your feedback.
Missouri
Reviewed July 14, 2013

When we stay at Choice Hotels, we always try to book one with the Gold Medal designation. I'm a bit puzzled how this hotel achieved this status.

The rooms are somewhat dated. The mattresses in our room were sagging in the middle. Even though the room appeared clean the carpet was filthy as evidenced by the black dirt on the bottom of my kids white socks.

I overheard the front desk clerk tell a couple of guests he couldn't go to their rooms to check out their complaint of their room smelling bad. He said he was the only person on duty.

The breakfast was OK, providing the bare minimum and standard fare of cold cereal and waffles. There was nothing outstanding about the breakfast area. It was average.

So, average rooms, average service and average breakfast gets you Gold Medal status in the Choice Hotel line. What a disappointment!

I would encourage Choice Hotels' management to visit this hotel and determine if it is truly representative and deserving of their Gold Medal award

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Steve R, Owner at Quality Inn & Suites, Garden of the Gods, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
I am sorry that you did not find your stay as pleasant as most of our guests. We have prided ourselves on providing extremely high quality service and rooms for the past seven years. Our breakfast is rotated daily with either pancakes or waffles daily along with eggs and either bacon or sausage. Additionally, we provide yogurts, fresh fruit, danish, bagels, muffins and an assortment of fresh breads every morning. Our rooms have received new artwork, drapes, and flat screen televisions this past year. Our beds were newly purchased only four years ago. Furnishings were new as well this year. Please feel free to contact me directly to offer you an opportunity to return and see if we can't 'wow" you with our Gold Award status.