“Cool bar, mediocre service”
Review of The Golden Bee

The Golden Bee
More attraction details
Owner description: The Golden Bee is famous for freshly prepared pub food, and yards of the finest ales from an extensive collection of English and Irish drafts. Enjoy a hearty selection of snacks, appetizers and the true English tradition of fish and chips, a Reuben sandwich, or a selection of pot pies as lively piano tunes fill the 19th century English Pub. Guests are encouraged to participate in the cheerful atmosphere by joining the nightly Ragtime piano beginning at 7:30 PM and the sing along beginning at 9:30 PM nightly, and proudly wearing their own "Bee's" that change seasonally. Located across from Broadmoor Main, in the back of International Hall at Lake Avenue. Open daily for lunch and dinner. Full menu service daily 11:30 AM to 10 PM, Pub Menu to 12 midnight, beverage service to 1:30 AM. Attire: Bermuda length shorts, dressy denim and collared shirts are required. Seasonal sport coat or blazer suggested. Please no athletic wear, sport wear, shorts, pool attire or gentlemen's hats.
Reviewed December 2, 2013

I've been here a handful of times over the years. The bar is really interesting to look at. I know some reviewers don't like the recent remodel, but I think it's great that they finally have more seating. It's a fun place to sit, people watch, and drink a foot of beer. However, the service is just not great. The servers always seem annoyed that you are taking up their time. They also raised the prices after the remodel, and I think the food is not as good as it once was.

Bottom line: it's worth checking out, just don't expect much as far as food and waitstaff are concerned.

All reviews
"piano player"
in 16 reviews
"english pub"
in 10 reviews
"potato wedges"
"half yard"
in 3 reviews
"authentic fish and chips"
"beer cheese"
in 7 reviews
"broadmoor hotel"
in 7 reviews
"co springs"
in 48 reviews

Reviewed November 25, 2013

We enjoyed the first two days of our visit at the Broadmoor very much. The restaurants were very good. But last night we had a poor experience at the Golden Bee. First, we seem to have gotten lost in the system as we had no waiter for about twenty minutes while folks around us came in later and were served.

Second, the food was mediocre. My son in law ordered Bangers and Mash. The Bangers were tasteless, the highlight of the night was when our waiter took them off the bill for us. My wife and I shared Shephard's Pie, which was average. I have had better but expected better at the restaurant probably because our meals at the other Broadmoor restaurants were very good. My daughter had a hamburger and fries. The fries were OK, but the hamburger had condiments on it even though she had ordered the condiments on the side. She ate most of the burger and was generally not impressed.

Overall our experience was not a good one. We all wished we had gone to another restaurant.

1  Thank Roger20180
Reviewed November 5, 2013

I love the menu, and to find a real pub in the heart of the Rockies...nice! Since they do suggest reservations, do so, I noted many being turned away, and too bad for them. The restaurant has a great history, and a great atmosphere. Even if you weren't staying at the Broadmoor (as it is on the grounds) it would be worth the trip in Colorado Springs.

Reviewed September 18, 2013

We went around 6:00 p.m. after a day driving in the mountains for a cocktail before we went back to our resort to check it out what all the BUZZ was about the Golden Bee. We did get greeted with the famous Bee's thrown at us and the bartenders were nice. I'm sure it would have been more fun if the piano music was playing but instead it was kind of quiet and the drinks were a bit pricey, they did give us the complimentary cheese spread and crackers that was good. It was fun to see the woodwork of the bar and try to figure out how they shipped it overseas and put it back together! I wouldn't say I would rush back but it was fun to see at least once!

1  Thank SherriLindstrom
See more reviews
Reviewed August 14, 2013

The Bee has been our "go to" place for years, but we were disappointed this year. The crackers and cheese offered at the start of the meal were okay but most of the crackers were broken and very little cheese was in the teeny cup. I love their cheese soup, but the taste is way off and not very good at all. I had a cup of it and a half sandwich (Reuben) and only soda to drink as I was driving. We went as a family to celebrate my birthday, but I was just not impressed. The service was nice and the atmosphere was lovely but very few other customers in the restaurant...and I know why. The food is simply not that good at lunch. Perhaps, happy hour with drinks it is more appealing but for us, it was just "so". The Reuben was not very tasty and had something sweet in it that was not good. The potato salad was only okay--not very tasty. Sadly, I suspect that I will not be returning any time soon.