“slightly disappointed”

Hampton Inn & Suites Air Force Academy
Ranked #6 of 105 Hotels in Colorado Springs
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed September 22, 2011

Well, I usually have nothing but nice things to say about a Hampton but for the first time, I do not. This hotel is a bit run down. We had suite and the carpeting was in dire need of replacement and the beds were not the Hampton quality I am used to. I had to switch to the other side of the bed in order to get a half way decent sleep. The ceiling had a huge repair which hopefully was new because they did not even try to paint over the ugly plaster repair.

On top of this, we were directly over the hot tub area where lots of kids congregated. What made it ten times worse was the door. You know kids. They come and go constantly and there was nothing holding the door from slamming repeatedly which sent, what felt like, sonic waves through our room. I did call and ask for another room but they were booked. The gentleman did say he would shut the hot tub area down but I did not feel like being the witch in the tower so I said no and left the room instead. They do not have a limit on the two public computers which some people hog.

The plus side is this. The bathroom is large and clean which after this trip I have come to appreciate in a hotel. The continental breakfast is free and of high quality. All staff was polite. The TV is huge in a suite and great to watch from a distance. The location is great for Air Force events but not much else because it is a slight ways out. Sometimes though, if you don’t want to fight city crowds then a hotel located like this one is a plus. I also did not consider that I would have to go through morning rush hour all the way to the southern end of Colorado Springs to get to my next destination. No, it was not horrendous but something to consider.

Another thing to consider in general is the enormous traffic that clogs up HWY 25 when the academy is having a football game. We hit the tail end of incoming traffic right before the game. Around 1:30 p.m., when the game had started, it was safe to go out again – even to the Air Force Chapel - which we did.

There is a road which parallels HWY 25 that runs behind the hotel. Voyager? It is a nice shortcut for most of HWY 25. It leads to several gas stations, businesses, restaurants and Wal-Mart.

Unless the Air Force academy is your destination, I would try another Hampton in the area.

Room Tip: stay in the front
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank HazelEyesFromTN
HamptonAFA, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Air Force Academy, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2011

Hello, this is Ed, general manager of the Hampton Inn & Suites Air Force Academy. Thank you for staying with us and for your candid feedback both positive and negative as it helps us to become a better hotel. We always want to exceed your expectations, but in this case, we fell short. I'm very sorry about that. Our hotel is generally in excellent condition, however the room you stayed in was in the process of recent repair and we should not have hurried to put it back in inventory due to being sold out. Lesson learned. I hope you give us another try and I will personally insure we exceed your expectations next time.

Reviewed September 19, 2011

Very clean, nice area. Maybe a little too far north for some, but it's just off the interstate.
Comfortable room and bed, friendly, helpful staff.
A very good Hampton Inn.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank llr43
Reviewed September 15, 2011

I was pleasantly surprised by this Hampton Inn. The staff was extremely helpful and friendly (even let me use their front desk computer to print my boarding pass when the printer in the business center wasn't working). Extremely clean and new looking, even duvets are laundered each time, which as a germ freak I normally remove from the bed immediately, but felt I could actually keep this one on. Little things like cookies at check in, an actual living plant in your room, and the desk facing the TV (this is such a pet peeve of mine, most hotel rooms have the desk next to the tv so you can't work and watch tv well at the same time). Small work out room, with a treadmill, elliptical, and bike, some weights, and a view of their indoor pool and jacuzzi. Breakfast is included and was a decent spread. Also a nice feature is their bagged breakfast, which you can grab as you're leaving, and includes an apple, water, cereal bar, etc. I will definitely stay here again when in Colorado Springs.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed September 7, 2011

Hotel is clean. But service is worse. Frontdesk forgot wake-up call. Housekeeper forgot to clean room . It was worse stay ever

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank shea g
Reviewed August 18, 2011

My wife and I stayed here for six nights while attending a family wedding and visiting. The Hampton Inn was clean and quiet. The staff was friendly. The breakfast area was kept clean and the hot food buffet had was small but it was monitored so that nothing was empty. I would stay here again when visiting family.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 16, 2011

When we arrived in Colorado Springs, our daughter was having major ear problems. The front desk staff was very helpful and compassionate about finding an urgent care that we could get into right away. During our stay, they asked our daughter how she was feeling everyday. She was very impressed! It's not easy to get an "impressed" rating from a 16 yr old! We were very appreciative of their customer service. The location of this hotel is perfect for the area.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 15, 2011

My sister and I stayed here on our trip around Colorado. It was wonderful! We enjoyed our suite, outdoor pool and spa. The staff was great and we really enjoy the Hampton Hotels. You can tell the staff here cares about the hotel and the guests. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family