“Trail riding with Brian the horse”

Academy Riding Stables
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: We offer breathtaking horseback rides through the Garden of the Gods. Please go to our website to make online reservations. If you have any questions at all please feel free to call. We can't wait to meet you!
Reviewed September 9, 2011

Went on 2 hour riding trip. Was great, well worth the money. Guides were great. Rusty is "specific" with details LOL. along trail. Sam would follow up. I came out of the saddle but managed to stay with my buddy Brian the horse. Very well organized outfit and variety of sights along the paths makes for a great memory. Thanks ARS

1  Thank Charlie C
"skill level"
"fun experience"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed August 29, 2011

Our family of six had many adventures in and around Colorado Springs during our week-long summer vacation, but the hands-down favorite was the two-hour, 6.5 mile guided horseback tour with Academy Riding Stables. Located on the perimeter of the 1,350-acre natural park, this longstanding horseback operation has professional, friendly cowboys and cowgirls on staff, an extremely efficient process for check-in, and an equally well-organized method for matching up the right horse with each rider-- by weight, age and ability. The red rock formations of Garden of the Gods are beautiful at any light, and any hour, but seeing them from the perspective of the trail and on horseback was unforgettable.

1  Thank Mom_of_Four_Colorado
Reviewed August 25, 2011

My husband and I decided to take a trail ride on a nice summer morning last week. A one hour drive from Denver took us tot the Academy Riding Stables just outside of the Garden of the Gods near Manitou Springs Colorado. What a great decision. Beautiful scenery and beautiful horeses on a perfect Colorado day.

The folks at the stables are knowledgeable and friendly and make everyone feel welcome. The stables themselves are clean and the horses very well cared for.

There is every type of horse available for riders with all levels of expertise. From the moment the wrangler helped us on our horses to the conclusion of the ride we enjoyed ourselves immensly. There are one, two and three hour rides. This is an excellent and accessible way to see some great Colorado scenery while enjoying it on horseback.

Whether you are visiting the state or live an hour away, this experience is a treat for all who take time to enjoy it.

Reviewed August 17, 2011

Had I not flipped off my horse due to my saddle tipping up in the back going down a fairly steep step I probably would have given this attraction a four or five star. The staff was knowledgeable, kind and the scenery was gorgeous. I am an occasional horseback rider and know how to go down steps on a horse. I did everything I was instructed. Unfortunately, when the staff did the 2nd inspection before going down the steps they only visually checked my saddle and clearly it had loosened. Luckily I was wearing a helmet and only incurred some serious muscle damage and no broken bones. Everyone was kind to me getting off the trail. The burn came with the very curt letter I received from them basically stating after they read the report they claim no responsibility for the fall. I have no interest in suing, or anything like that, I just would have liked an apology!
I wouldn't go as far as saying don’t go... it is a sight worth seeing on horseback. Just watch out for that steep step on the two hour ride (next to the Siamese Twins) and make sure they physically check your saddle!

3  Thank caimgo
arsriding, Owner at Academy Riding Stables, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2011

Thank you, Caimgo, for the comments regarding the quality of the ride and our staff. We appreciate those comments very much. Your initial report to us, however, did not mention the saddle slipping or being loose, or the failure to physically check the cinch. Even with a tight cinch, the saddle can rise up slightly in the rear as the horse goes down hill. That's why the riders are instructed to lean back and hold on the the cantle (rear of the seat) when they are about to go down that portion of the trail.
We are sorry that you found the letter you received after your ride to be "curt." It certainly was not meant to be that, nor was it meant to either admit or deny responsibility for the incident. Rather, it was meant to reach out to you; acknowledge that the incident occurred; wish you will in your recovery; give you a point of contact to express any dissatisfaction; and invite you back to the Stables if you are ever back in Colorado Springs. We would love to see you again if you are ever back in the area.