“A great treat for a steak lover”

Mackenzie's Chophouse
Reserve with OpenTable
Mackenzie's Chophouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #47 of 1,437 Restaurants in Colorado Springs
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Colorado Ave.
Description: We serve only the finest steaks, chops and seafood combined with innovative cuisine in an upscale, nostalgic environment. MacKenzie’s is perfect for a special occasion or casual gathering and features the finest service in the greater Colorado Springs area. Our cutting edge wine list, extensive martini menu and fine array of single malt scotches all add to the Chophouse tradition.
“A great treat for a steak lover”
Reviewed May 10, 2014 via mobile

I happened to be in Colorado Springs for my birthday, which I like to celebrate by having a great steak. I made reservations here for myself and two co-workers who traveled with me, and we were all glad of the choice.

I started with an Ahi appetizer, which was excellent, and a Russian River Petite Syrah. I picked the wine because I was familiar with it, though I'm sure several of the dozens of other wines on their list would have been good, too.

When I explained how I like my steak (very rare, so I can taste the aged beef), they promised to only sear it for 20 seconds on each side. When it arrived, it looked exactly how I wanted it to look, and tasted better than I had imagined.

The only thing I could picture to make this experience complete was a Créme Brûlée for dessert. Lucky me, they had that on the menu, so I was able to properly complete my perfect dining experience (complete with cappuccino). My companions all enjoyed the bottle of wine we shared. While I don't remember what they ordered, I do remember that they enjoyed their meals immensely as well.

We will all be happy to return to this place on our next trips to Colorado Springs.

“Disappointing happy hour”
Reviewed May 4, 2014

First of all, if you get Wendy as your server, you're lucky. She knows her wine and knows how to put customers at ease. My disappointment was in the happy hour food items: only three options were offered and although the menu said "half-price appetizers," nowhere did it say what the actual price would be. Of the three choices (calamari, artichoke dip, nachos), we ordered the Kobe beef nachos. Kobe beef should be a real treat, very flavorful and tender. That's not what we got. Although there was plenty of ground beef on the nachos, it was tough and greasy. And the meat tasted like it had been seasoned with a packet of dry mix from the supermarket. I can do better than this at home. PS. Skip the house cabernet sauvignon; the pinot noir is far superior.

• Visited May 2014
“Bad service and "not so great" food!”
Reviewed April 24, 2014

We went here as we passed thru on our way home from our skiing vacation, and wanted a nice place for dinner to meet a friend of my husbands who lived in the local area. On entering the restaurant first impressions weren't too bad, kind of cozy and very typical "steakhouse". From there on everything went downhill. Firstly, service...... Terrible!!!! We ended up being served on by 3 different people, all of whom were not communicating obviously. Our first server who came to the table we only saw him twice more thru the enter meal. We ordered wine with our entrees and they arrived almost as we had finished our meal (even tho we had repeatedly asked for if). We never received any bread which I thought was really odd until, once again it appeared half way thru the meal. Now the food, far from impressive! I ordered a filet mignon with a peppercorn sauce. The steak was ok but the sauce was just a gelatinous, brown goopy mess. My husbands steak was once again "ok" but certainly not what you would expect from an high end steak house. We did have appetizers but honestly just not worth writing about! It probably would not have been such a bad experience if the service had been on point, which is something I just find inexcusable.

• Visited April 2014
2 Thank Sarah V
“Easter Brunch Review”
Reviewed April 20, 2014

I have taken my wife and friends here several times during the past year and have to say it is a great experience. Nice atmosphere, good food, great location. The Easter brunch on the other hand has 6 of 8 people I just ate with sick and the buffet style food was on par with Golden Corral. Absolutely avoid any buffet style offerings they host. At over $30 per person you will be extremely disappointed and probably spend the rest of your day in the bathroom.

Typical dinner, definitely go for it. Other events, spend your money somewhere else.

• Visited April 2014
“AWESOME”
Reviewed March 20, 2014

Had a family celebration, food was AWESOME and service was AWESOME. We can't wait to return for another celebration.

• Visited March 2014