“Worst service in my 34 years of life.”

Silver Pond Chinese Restaurant
Ranked #840 of 1,486 Restaurants in Colorado Springs
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed April 27, 2010

I took my wife and our 5 and 7 year old here for her birthday on Saturday April 24th 2010. We arrived at about 6:45p. The restaurant was about 3/4 full. We were seated and given menus. A kid was going around filling everyone's water glasses. At about 10 minutes I had a question regarding the family meals (which the verbiage made no sense). There was no waiter so I asked the kid who was filling the water glasses. he said he had no idea but he would ask someone to answer my question. Noone ever came to do that. The waiter arrived at the 20 minute mark. He said: "Have you decided?". Not "hello my name is ________ I will be your server", or "Can I start you off with some drinks.". I tried asking him about the family meals but he was very short with me so I ordered something else. I would have had my kids split one meal rather than getting 2 kids meals but THEY CHARGE $2.50 EXTRA for any split meals. They also only give 2 refills on pop. I ordered an entree for each of them and 1 for myself. My wife wasn't very hungry so she ordered an appetizer and an alcoholic drink for herself. The food was up for my kids after about 15 minutes. They ate and completely finished their meal. Then my wife's food arrived at the 30 minute mark and she ate and was half finished. I asked another waiter if he could check on my food since I hadn't seen my waiter for quite some time. (There was also a couple in the right corner who had to hold up a small dish for about 10 minutes to get anyone to refill her sauce). The waiter came back about 5 minutes later and told me my food would be out soon. At this point my wife had given me a bit of her paltry little appetizer so I just asked for my food in a to-go box. I hated to make my family wait (after they had finished eating) for me to eat. The older lady who was checking on tables came by and asked how everything was. I told her that I was shocked that not all the food came out at once. She told me they always serve kids first. I suggested that they let patrons know this. She thought this was a silly idea. I told her that my wife had ordered her drink about 30 minutes earlier and she never got it, that we waited 20 minutes to order, and that I felt this was the worst service ever. She wanted to argue about this rather than attempt to apologize. After they brought my food in a bag and she ran my card she said 'Next time we serve meal altogether and change our strategy'. She is certainly a bigger optimist than I am to think I would ever come back. The worst part is the food was ok. Not as good as Bo Lings in Kansas City or even P.F. Changs ANYWHERE but it was ok.

If I was adding something you should know in advance. Bring a snack so you have something to eat in the long stretch between entering the restaurant and being served.

Reviewed April 20, 2010

I have had dinner and lunch here many time with wonderful results! The strawberry chicken is wonderful!

Reviewed February 27, 2010

This restaurant had received numerous awards for best chinese restaurant in Colorado Springs in the past. They have not won any award is 3-4 years and there is a reason. We were with a group and were waiting for a couple that were late and we sat there for 1/2 hour with no drinks, etc. It was like we didn't even exist. We finally had to go ask the owner or manager to come and get our orders. The decor is very very old, dated and dirty. They were using tea pots and other dishes that had a previous restaurants logo and name on them from 10-15 years ago. The food was very good though and the portions generous. The turnip flowers on the plate were really cute. They are a bit on the expensive side where dinner entrees can run over $20-$30 if you get the soup and egg roll.

Reviewed February 12, 2010

The food is excellent! I love the cashew chicken. It is great! The atmosphere is very nice and comfortable. It never seems to be busy, which is nice. The service is also excellent! The waiters are checking up on everything and take really great care of you. I highly recommend this restaurant. I love this place!

1  Thank ang82
Reviewed August 28, 2009

Went to Silver Pond because it was voted the best in C/S. It wasn't excellent but fairly good. The servers were very prompt and seemed to want to take care of us. So expect good amount of attention lol. The crab ragoons are very sweet, not what I am used to but my date loved them. The rice was very plain not flavorful. The atmosphere is nice. Fair prices fair portions the food was "good". I prefer and will stick with The China Restaurant.