“It's Gotten Even Better”

Rocco's Italian Restaurant
Ranked #272 of 1,478 Restaurants in Colorado Springs
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed September 21, 2013

We used to to go Rocco's quite a bit years ago, but haven't been back in years. The restaurant is in the middle of town and a bit of a hike for us now.

We went last night and remembered why we used to go so much years ago. The waitress was quick, nice and professional (Sam). We noticed that other waiters, staff helped each other deliver plates etc. They seemed to work together seamlessly.

Then there is the food. It's the best Italian food you can get in Colorado. The pasta is homemade. It is fantastic. Feels like the red sauce is missing something - maybe more garlic? But still good. The meatballs were good. I didn't order sausage, but got one any way. And I glad I did, it was great.

They serve fresh warm homemade bread when you first down. Crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside. Perfect Italian bread!

Rocco's is a bit out of the way for us, but def. worth the trip! We will be back.

1  Thank Carrie4747

Reviewed September 15, 2013

My family has been going to Rocco's for years and have never had a bad experience. They have recently moved to a larger venue so I was afraid it would destroy the intimate family feel but a trip there last night reassured me.....more room but everything else stayed the same! Great food - I had the Elk Sausage with cheese and jalapanos and it was wonderful. Friendly service, good portions, and fair prices in a low-key comfortable setting. Great value!

Reviewed August 28, 2013

We live near Rocco's Italian Restaurant, and every time we drive by there, the parking lot is busy. Obviously someone thinks this is a great place! We gave it a try for dinner, and were overall well pleased.

The atmosphere is busy, but quiet enough for some quiet conversation with your dinner partner(s). Spacious, not crowded even when full.

Our server was eager to please, and to suggest choices. We decided on the house special "cannoli" (with a salad) and tortellini (with Italian Wedding soup.) We had a 1/2 liter of Chianti, and shared a tiramisu for dessert. So how was it?

The cannoli was good. Basically it resembles a small calzone filled with an Italian sausage and a large meatball (both very tasty) surrounded by tomato sauce. The tomato sauce was good, but quite spicy and rather acid. (I couldn't help wishing that they had added a teaspoon of cocoa powder to it; that would give it body and reduce the acidity. But then again, not many people - or restaurants - dare do that!) The salad was fresh and crisp. I had it with oil (very good) and vinegar (a bit on the bland side.)

My spouse enjoyed the tortellini very much. They were indeed excellent. As was the Italian Wedding soup, a nice broth with a few meat knoedel in it. Excellent.

The chianti? I'm not a wine expert, but I enjoyed this one very much. If you can imagine a "smooth" Chianti, this was it. All the Chianti flavor, with little of its harshness. No wonder people like it (according to the server.)

BTW, some earlier reviewers complained about the complimentary bread. Nothing wrong with ours - fresh, and tasty.

The tiramisu? Alas, not the highlight I had hoped for. The body / mascarpone part was excellent, but the condiments? It came with a few blobs of semi-real whipped cream. Please, take real cream, and whip it. Your desert is worth it. Same for the chocolate sauce dribbled on it. Use real chocolate, melt it. Of course I can't complain about the liquid - Sweet sirup? No coffee? And certainly no liqueur... (After all, it is a family restaurant that welcomes children and from what I could see treats them very well.) Still, it seemed a pity that the good body missed all the things that would make the whole thing excellent and couldn't quite fulfill its potential. Maybe offer an adult version of real tiramisu? I'd pay for it.

Which brings me to the bill - drinks and tip included it came to $60+, which was a bit of a sticker shock. It seemed on the expensive side, but still, overall we spent a very pleasant evening. I can't afford to go regularly, but I hope to be back nevertheless.

Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

We have eaten lunch here twice and would go back again. The food is delicious as is the service and red- checkered tablecloth atmosphere.
The portions are generous. We would highly recommend this place.

Only one recommendation, have more options for guests who do not eat meat. Both times the specials all had meat in them.

Reviewed August 20, 2013

just a little family style restaurant with BIG flavor,,a must try !! there were eight of us we all had something different and we will be going back soon !