“Standard teppanyaki fare”

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 25, 2013

It had been forever since I'd eaten at Musashi! Before 2006, I had been a customer here probably at least 6 times. It was obvious nothing had changed during my visit in October.

The Good: You get a lot of value out of the teppanyaki meals! Having eaten at similar establishments on the East Coast, my fiancé had to read twice to ensure he understood the prices really did include the miso soup, salad, rice, and in some combos, the California Rolls. For 4 people and a total of 3 alcoholic cocktails, the bill was $108 after tax (but before tip); he said that was cheap compared to places he's been!! And Musashi did not skimp on the amount of food (though I was the only one who couldn't finish).

Service was good; they cleared our used dishes as the meal progressed, brought drinks quickly, and I enjoy the hot towel treatment at the beginning. Our cook was a young white dude who was very personable and thanked us each time we made comments on our food. My future-in-laws, who had never had teppanyaki, greatly enjoyed the entertainment (flames in the dinner plates, flare-ups on the griddle, the volcanic onion, etc). Lots of teppanyaki tables scattered throughout the various rooms, and on Wednesday night the place was about 60% full. I recommend making reservations just in case. Cute décor and the female servers wore traditional Japanese robes. Even with no music playing, the atmosphere is fun.

My Special B combo came with 8 pieces of California rolls, which had been rolled well, looked pretty, and came with the standard ginger root and wasabi. Miso soup had more root vegetables and tasted a little differently than at other places, but I liked it. The salad was obviously from a bag containing mostly iceberg lettuce, and it was drowned in a creamy citrus dressing that actually tasted ok but it was too much. Overall, it didn't stray too far from the average teppanyaki dinner salads I've had in other cities. Our red meat was cooked to order, and my steaks looked fresh and were not the cheapest cuts. Lots of sautéed veggies and mushrooms to go with the huge mound of rice. The underlying flavors were really good. My Ginza cocktail was refreshing, and I liked how all the fruity drinks got a maraschino cherry with a girly umbrella.

The Bad: Everything was too SALTY, more so than I remember from years past. The cooking sauces squirted onto our veggies and meat either had too much salt or the cook used too much of the sauces themselves. The dipping sauces also greatly surpassed our recommended sodium intake. The salt didn't quite render our meals inedible, but I could almost feel my blood pressure rising.

I don't think Musashi has been deep cleaned in a long time - everything looks exactly the way I remember it from 6 years ago, and even more grimy now. The sushi counter looks exactly the same, which is to say, get your sushi fix elsewhere. The red carpet and overhead vents sorely need to be replaced. And as usual, don't wear your Sunday best - there is a good chance you will get splashed with grease/sauce. No one I saw got splattered last night, but the smell of cooking oil clung to all of our hair and clothes afterwards. However, I expected all this.

Overall I still like Musashi. They've been doing this for years and I've always had a great time. But I'll have to try the other teppanyaki places in town to know if we made a good decision taking guests here.

1  Thank aerofaze

Reviewed September 4, 2012

The food here is always good and the countertops just got a make over. The soup is always hot. The house dressing is amazing and watching the cooks is enjoyable. Food is very good, as well asthe sushi. We go here many times and have always liked it.

Reviewed August 1, 2012

The food is great and the service is quick. Every meal consists of miso soup, a salad (You can get two soups or two salads by request), and fried rice or steamed rice. Then they cook on your table.

Reviewed March 27, 2012

I took my granddaughter to Musashi to celebrate her 13th birthday because she loves all things Japanese. We sat around one of the hibachi grills with some other people who also had teenagers in tow. While they all ordered food to be cooked at the grill, we ordered the shrimp-veggie tempura.

The chef was personable and capable, preparing the food with the usual flare expected in this type of establishment. The food looked and smelled good, but the other guests just picked at it without enthusiasm. I could only surmise that it was "too exotic" for their tastes. Our tempura was tasty, though it could have been served a bit more quickly so as not to get cold by the time it reached the table. Because it had been sitting, it wasn't as crisp as I normally like it. However, the portion was generous and the butterfly shrimp was very good. It was served with rice. I declined the miso because I asked the waitress if it had MSG and she said yes. In this day and age, I am surprised any such restaurant is still using it.

Overall, we had a pleasant experience and the food was good. The owner and our yakata-clad waitress were delightful and welcoming.

There was only one thing that didn't fit this restaurant. The bathroom floor was pretty bad. It is a light grey slate and has been carelessly cleaned over the years, resulting in an absolutely black build-up of grime around the edges. I can only hope the kitchen has been better tended!

Reviewed November 28, 2011

We celebrated my oldest son's birthday at Musashi's since he had never eaten at a Japanese restaurant before. We were able to make reservations and arrived early and were seated with another couple. The chef was very pleasant and friendly. They cook most the food right in front of you. If your looking for a show this is not one of those restaurants. They cook your food and serve it to you with abit of flair. Which is nice for you get your food and eat it while it is nice and hot vice watching a show and letting it get cold.The tempura is cooked in the back and is very good but too much of a good thing can be to much since all you get is tempura in that dish. IF you like tempura I would order it as a appetizer. They had two sauces one mustard based and the other ginger based. The ginger was very good and if you like ginger then ask the chef of extra. All in all it was a great place to dine.