“Very solid in all areas”

The Famous Steak House
Reserve with OpenTable
The Famous Steak House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #53 of 1,558 Restaurants in Colorado Springs
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Bar, Wine Bar
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Kiowa
Description: Colorado Springs' finest upscale steak house and lounge located in the center of downtown. Dine in an elegant and classic steak house environment. Award winning prime steaks, fresh seafood, premium wines and piano bar provide a provocative mix of atmosphere and entertainment. Featuring 30+ Colorado spirits and wines as well as local craft brews.
Reviewed March 6, 2013

Food was very good, cooked as requested, and well executed. Service was friendly, professional and efficient. I led it a lot!

Reviewed February 27, 2013

A great time at Famous Steak House with friends. Our server J D did a super job and the steaks, oysters on half shell, side dishes, shrimp cocktail and cheesecake + drinks were delicious. One person had the lobster/steak special and the lobster was a little tough and they credited us back for 1/2 the price of that meal. We will definitely return.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

We went to the Famous for an early Valentine's dinner. We had a reservation. The food was good, however the service was not what I expected considering the reputation and the price. We were not met at the door by a host. In fact we waited for a few minutes and were ignored by the bartender and a server. A smile would have been nice. Then the host didn't take our coats until we got to the table and he had to juggle coats and menus. Even though we had a reservation we were seated by the kitchen door and the server's station in the bar. The server was distracted the whole evening. They were busy, but a restaurant of this caliber should do better. I would much prefer MacKenzie's Chophouse for a nice steak dinner.

1  Thank JoAnneV
Reviewed February 13, 2013

I have been to the famous a dozen or more times over the years. It’s expensive, so usually meant for special occasions, but I’ve always found both the food and service to be exceptional.

Until last night. In a word, terrible. Our server was so busy that she actually had to inform us of it (when we asked if she could report back a score for the game that was on at the bar, we were greeted with “I’m REALLY swamped” and later “I’m not busy any more. What did you want?”). This swampedness may have lead to water glasses being unfilled, waits between drinks, shoddy order taking, dropping of dead and empty lobster tails at our feet (really, it was like she threw them), menus sitting on the table, plates of food sitting for an inordinate amount of time. Not to mention it felt unfriendly, hurried and I felt exhausted for her. A hallmark of great service is never showing you’re hurried or too busy, even if you are. Anywhere else, I would have rolled my eyes… but this is THE FAMOUS.

Then the food. Yikes. Pork belly, with is enormously fatty underside, should be tender enough to be cut with a fork. This was a tough-sided ball-o-fat that scurried across the plate when my husband tried to cut it. The fatty underside was also tough – sort of like chewing on a cool piece of a racquetball. We ordered two steaks – the ribeye, which I get every time. Usually we get it medium rare, which tends to be sort of red-red-pink. We opted for medium this time, but it came gray. Medium-well, gritty and without any of the marbling that usually is the highlight of this steak. I cut off a few bites and asked for a doggie box. My mother enjoyed her flatiron steak.

The biggest disappointment, however, were the wedge salads. Ever a classic done right at The Famous, we ordered three of these. Pretty hard to mess up, a wedge salad… but they managed. Our wedges were abysmally topped, with all of the blue cheese, bacon crumbles and tomatoes settling around its base. Ok, no big deal. But what. Is. This. Dressing? Vinaigrette? I was expecting blue cheese. But the menus say vinaigrette? Oh. Should be delicious anyway, right? Wrong. This dressing is inordinately tangy, the result of too much vinegar. And by my estimate and the squishy-wet bites I took of this salad, there was at least a ¼ to 1/3 CUP of dressing on it. It was INEDIBLE. Horrible. My lips and mouth were BURNING with the acidity of the vinegar. My husband held his chest, sensing the beginnings of an evening with heartburn. The salads were $21.00 ($7.00 each), and one of us got extra bacon, making them $24.00. We left most of them on our plates, swimming in orange-red vinegar.

Again – crappy food and bad service is almost acceptable elsewhere. This is Colorado Springs after all. But when you drop $186.00 before tip and only ordered two meat entrees you expect more. You expect The Famous. What happened? Why?

Reviewed January 26, 2013

I've been to steak house's across the country and this is one of my favorites. Marty, the maitre d', is charming and helpful. Loved the piano man. The filet mignon was perfect. The staff makes you feel as if they are truly glad you chose their restaurant. Fine food, fine staff, fine atmosphere. That's what I call fine dining!