“Outstanding Pizza”

Duca's Neapolitan Pizza
Ranked #53 of 1,412 Restaurants in Colorado Springs
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
“Outstanding Pizza”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

Wonderful family run business with pictures of several generations of family throughout the restaurant. I tried the pizza and their sandwiches on two different occasions in the past week. The pizza is made in an authentic neopolitan oven and the sandwich bread is also cooked with similar dough in the oven. Excellent food and great people who own the restaurant. Definitely a place to go when you are in Colorado Springs.

Visited April 2013

Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Lots of love for Duca's pizzas”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

Bottomline: Even though it's way the heck up north, I love it! The food at this neighborhood gem is worth the drive. Excellent pizza, great service!

We've been here at least 4 times now.

I want to give 5 stars, but I can't because: 1) The menu is not displayed prominently on a wall (I saw a big one off to the side but it wasn't where I could read it), 2) Menu isn't more robust with a wider selection of unique house specialties, 3) The glass of wine my friend ordered on our first visit was quite small, and 4) The dessert cannolis at Duca's aren't worth it - get the Whole Foods cannolis instead as theirs are fresher and much larger.

You have to wade past dining tables to order at the register. The complex was obviously newer, so everything is still sleek and clean. Windows along two walls provided ample views. The walls themselves are yellow and made a nice contrast with the black, exposed ceiling. The big, orange-tiled oven (The DUKE) looms in the corner like a huge tangerine. If this one is anything like the wood-fired, handmade Italian oven used at Pizzeria Locale in Boulder, it would've cost Duca about $25,000. Not sure what lengths the owners went to emulate a true Napoli-style pizza, but THE DUKE was an impressive feature.

The cashiers are always cheerful and patient as we huddle at the counter trying to decide what to order. Two specialty pizzas and two fountain drinks come to $24.27, at which point we receive a number and collect our drinks, napkins, silverware, red pepper flakes and Parmesan cheese at the nearby counter before selecting a table.

Pizzas are 11" and arrive not quickly but not slowly (perhaps Naples-speed). I like the Cassicciola (sp?) with its evenly-distributed toppings, a size that is not overwhelming, and an awesome smell. I remember my first bite of it, admittedly from a fork, and the incredible flavors and textures were spot on! The crust was a little thicker than I expected, but the dough tasted just right and had the nice char and chewiness that I so look forward to in a "real" pizza. We traded some slices, and my friend's customized Margherite looked even better than mine; the vibrant tomatoes and roasted peppers added lots of visual appeal and it tasted sooo good. In fact, the last 3 times I've been there, that's what I order. The fiancé always gets the BBQ pizza, but to me sauce on that one is too rich and BBQ just doesn't scream Neapolitan "authentic" to me. However, I do like its thin strips of fresh cilantro and basil that are generously scattered. Though 11" sounds small, we are usually unable to finish our pizzas.

The owner himself has come around to check on us and always seems sincerely concerned about our experience. The staff is very accommodating when we ask for a box at the end of our meal.

I love Pizzeria Locale in Boulder and Il Vicino downtown Springs, and Duca's falls somewhere in between. To improve, they should add maybe two or three more specialty house pizzas. I don't know what they charge for wine, but they should either get larger glasses or pour a little more for my friend. As for the cannolis, even though they make them there fresh, the shells were stale, the filling tastes very processed, and they're TINY.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank aerofaze
Denver, Colorado
“Authentic, hand crafted pizza”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

They make the pizzas of the best ingredients, and it shows. You can taste the difference. If you are looking for a pizza very similar to what you would get in your travels in Italy, this is where you should go.

Everything I have had has been wonderful. Family owned, family run. This is real pizza!

• Visited March 2013
“Suprisingly good”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

New to town and loved the pizza! Wife and I were looking for something different then your average Pizza Hut and decided to give it a try. We dined in, the service was fast and very friendly. The salad was a little small but the pizza more then made up for that.

Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Awesome!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013

The bugs are all worked out. The best pizza I've ever eaten. Prices very reasonable. Don't let earlier reviews prevent you from trying. Service is great!! Foot is great!! WE WILL DEFINITELY BE BACK TIME AND TIME AGAIN.

• Visited February 2013