“Native Americana...”

Dining options: Late Night
Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
“Native Americana...”
Reviewed October 9, 2013

Have been driving by this place thinking that it must be a dive, but always had the urge to go inside. My first impressions were way wrong! This restaurant is so unique...built in the 1930's; it has character that would be hard to replicate. The establishment has worn many hats through the years. Food isn't 5 star, but not bad either...their pizza is some of the best that I've had in Colorado Springs.

• Visited August 2013

Durango, CO
“Good food and good service in an atmosphere the opposite of a boring, chain restaurant”
Reviewed August 8, 2013

A local recommended this place to us during our visit to Penrose Hospital in Colorado Springs, telling us not to be put off by the outside, which includes a large neon Indian on its sign. The structure, which has National Historic designation, is fascinating; it is is made like an actual hogan, but with flat log sections and no nails. But it offers much more than just an interesting interior: The french dip is one of the best I've ever had, the pizza is good and everything is reasonably priced, even the margaritas and beer. And the service is friendly and excellent. We liked this place so much that we ate there 3 times during the 6 days we spent in Colorado Springs. This is a place you should not miss visiting. Contrary to the negative review that said it is in a bad neighborhood, it is not; it is in an older neighborhood that has a considerable amount of commercial development on a busy street.

Visited August 2013
Indian Hills, Colorado
“Historic Highway Roadhouse:”
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Navajo Hogan was built on the 1930's alignment of U.S. 87 in Colorado Springs. This amazing structure has been seen by many motorists before I-25 went through Colorado Springs. Well worth the stop to go in and look even if you choose not to dine.
Today I tried the fish and chips. The food was very good; but the portions were small. The menu price was small also. Taken into consideration; it was a fair value for the money. I did leave hungry because I did not have time to order another dinner. Tap beer at the lunch hour is SEVERELY overpriced. Beware of this before ordering a tap beer.
Service was o.k. and attentive. I really enjoyed how they wrapped the silverware in a white, clean , automotive paper shop cloth. They got me on this one. It looked like a real fancy cloth linen napkin. The shop cloth was folded and rolled like the most classy restaurants I have eaten in. This is a great idea; cheap, large, and very absorbent for finger and face wiping.
This is NOT a place for people under 21. Some men were cussing at a table. The layout is like a dance hall in table placement. The waitresses were scantily clad; and had a ratty appearance about them. This is truly an adult restaurant.
I do recommend this restaurant for those over 21 to try at least once. I could easily bump this up to an excellent rating except for the overpriced beers.

• Visited August 2013
Knoxville,TN
“Well worth stopping at”
Reviewed July 4, 2013

THis place is great! The building is an example of restaurants of years gone by. The food was very good and the service was excellent. I had the Navajo burger and t as very tasty.

• Visited July 2013
San Antonio, Texas
“Not Family Friendly”
Reviewed June 21, 2013 via mobile

The awesomeness of this place stops at the building. I'll give them the building. The food was bland (Navajo Burger and Broasted Chicken), the service was bad and it is in a bad part of town (I swear we saw a drug deal happen in the adjacent lot).
The seemed to really play up the bar angle...
If you must see the building, and you don't have kids along, stop for a quick drink... Then go elsewhere for dinner.

• Visited June 2013