“A hidden gem in Colorado Springs”

North Cheyenne Canon Park and Starsmore Discovery Center
Reviewed August 18, 2008

This was one of our favorite visits in Colorado Springs. North Cheyenne Canon has great scenery and this is a city park. There's Helen Hunt and Silver Cascade Falls for starters. Silver Cascade Falls requires a short hike gaining in elevation. This falls is more like a sloping stream down rocks, more than a gushing vertical drop of water. Helen Hunt Falls is right on the road and more impressive as far as waterfalls go. However, the views are worth the walk up to the Silver Cascade Falls.

If you continue past the falls, Gold Camp Road becomes a dirt road and goes through two tunnels that were blasted through the rock. This road gives one the feeling of being in the mountain wilderness, then it ends right in a residential section of town. We thought that was neat. Good views of downtown and the Broadmoor Resort along the way. A nice, scenic drive.

One can do what we did in 60 to 90 minutes, so it won't chew up a large chunk of your day. We were heading out of town, but wanted to see this park before we did. There are enough hikes that one could spend an entire day in the park. This Monday morning there were not many people in the park which made it even better. I recommend stopping in at the Visitor's Center to get a map on the way in.

13  Thank relayer
in 44 reviews
"columbine"
in 16 reviews

Reviewed June 15, 2008

We stayed in the Cheyenne Canon Inn for 3 nights, which was just at the entrance to the park. We ventured out for a hike on Mt. Cutler Trail about an hour before dusk. What a great hike! It was definitely a highlight of our visit to Colorado Springs. I would highly recommend the park for hiking, a picnic, or even a nice drive. I got great advice from the Discovery Center as well given that we had limited time before the sun went down.

There is no need to spend a lot of money in Colorado Springs with great places like this park and the Garden of the Gods. I would have liked to spend more time in the park, but there is only so much you can do and see in 3 days.

Enjoy!

6  Thank halloween1031
Reviewed November 13, 2007

The first thing I did, upon arriving in Colorado Springs, was drive across the city to North Cheyenne Canon Park. The day was already getting on towards dusk and I wanted to take some pictures from the top of the Mt. Cutler trail before it got dark. Colorado Springs is as level as any cornfield in Kansas, but at the western edge of the city the Front Range suddenly rears up like a three-thousand foot high granite wall. Cheyenne Park is located here, in the foothills of the mountains. Even before I reached the park I was mesmerized by its setting. The eastern slope of the mountains was already in deep shadow and some sort of haze or mist, backlit by the westering sun, hovered above the peaks that day. The dark silhouette of the looming mountains and the incandescent silver-grey haze combined to create an almost mystical-looking landscape. Staring at it through the car windshield as I approached the Broadmoor neighborhood, I momentarily had the odd feeling that I was leaving Colorado and driving directly into some distant, exotic land-------the foothills of the Himalayas, perhaps. North Cheyenne Canon Park is one of the most scenic municipal parks I've ever seen, and it was a great way to begin a visit to the city.

15  Thank booradley2
Reviewed May 9, 2007

This park is free, not far from Colorado Springs, and has some beautiful trails. There are several trails that range from easy to hard. I recommend going here...but be sure to bring plenty of film and water.

3  Thank timmyj2008
See more reviews
Reviewed January 16, 2007

The park is more like a National Park than a City Park. With waterfalls, miles of hiking trails, picnic areas and outstanding scenery, you won't want to miss this beautiful destination! This is a four-season attraction and is wonderful any time of the year. The only drawback is that the Visitors Centers are not open year-round. They open in the spring and stay open until late fall.

3  Thank petewizard