“what you'd expect”

Olympic Training Center
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Colorado Springs Olympic Training Center is home to Olympic hopefuls in various sport disciplines. Take the guided walking tour and see the facilities in which athletes train as the aspire to be part of Team USA in the upcoming Olympic Games!
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Wheelchair access
Reviewed July 13, 2008

My hubbie's a huge sports/Olympics fan and a coach, so we had to make a detour on our Colorado trip to come here. And since I spent 9 months living in Colo. Springs, I obliged because I wanted to revisit this beautiful place. The training center isn't huge and spectacular, but if you're into that sort of thing, you'll like it. The tours are free, frequent and about 1 hour long. We had the most fun buying souvenirs in the gift shop for Beijing!! I even found a baby onesie on super-markdown from the Torino games (where we had our honeymoon)! Anyway, the tour was okay. I and others got bored in places. Our guide was a young athlete who frankly wasn't very engaging. We only got to see a handful of actual athletes training. But overall, it was a fun experience.

1  Thank MVPgirl
Write a ReviewReviews (1,177)

Reviewed June 22, 2008

We had a very hard time finding this place! You would think the city of Colorado Springs would be proud of this wonderful place. We went to the Air Force Academy first and saw the sign for the Olympic Training Center going north on I 25. Coming back south, there wasn't a sign at the exit. Turned around and went back north. After getting off the interstate there wasn't another sign directing you to the site. Had to stop and ask directions. Once we got there we enjoyed the tour and seeing Olympic athletes training. As this is an Olympic year, it was even more inspiring to see.

1  Thank mtnlover21
Reviewed January 5, 2008

We were able to see where the athletes train plus museum style info on history of the games. It was cool to see the countdown clock to the next Olympic games. Lots of fun photo ops around the property with statues and a gift store (of course). Check out the Olympic flame (always burning...)

Reviewed August 3, 2007

I've been to the Olympic Training Center a couple of times with my kids. Each time is a new adventure and a wonderful experience for us all. Sometimes you get to meet the athletes other times you get to watch them train. They are very accomadating. I recommend to everyone.

3  Thank Starshine329
Reviewed March 26, 2006

We visited the Olympic Training Center and had a nice time! It was neat to see the Olympic Rings, the statue of Olympic Strength (huge earth on the shoulder of athletes), there is a bobsled in the lobby you can sit in and have your picture taken, the Olympic flame, and all the training facilities! Our tour showed us the huge pool they trian in with underwater cameras, the weight room, the wrestling room, the gymnastics room, the shooting area, etc. The tour was informative and we learned a lot about the athletes schedules and hard training they do. We knew from their website that most of the tour was outside. The only buildings we were able to enter were the gymnatics room, wrestling room, and shooting room. We viewed the pool and weight rooms through the windows (and the windows were not foggy). This tour is mainly of the facilities - do not expect to see athletes. We saw a few in the wrestling room and one in the shooting room. But we learned that most of the athletes would return later in the day to train (after tour times) since they are required to have a job and do community service - that is where most of them are during the day. It was worth our trip there!
One note about the previous review....I think they posted for the wrong Olympic Training Center....there is no kayak service here and I checked the map - I don't see a San Marcos River running through downtown Colorado Springs (where these facilities are located). We used to live in San Antonio and there is a San Marcos River in that area - that is where they must have taken their kayak trip - not here and certainly not in the cold month of March!

14  Thank UofMNfan