Homewood Suites by Hilton Colorado Springs Airport
Ranked #56 of 105 Hotels in Colorado Springs
Charleston
“Nice hotel”
Reviewed July 19, 2011

Staff was very friendly and helpful. Breakfast and dinner was good. Only thing that could be improved was the times the shuttle ran to the airport. Even though this is an airport location the shuttle did not start running until 7am. My flight was at 6:30. They did offer to call a taxi.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Sublette, KS
Reviewed March 22, 2011

My kids and I stayed in one of this Hotel’s two bedroom suites and couldn't be happier. There was an individualized welcome letter setting on the table when we arrived with the staffs signatures, which was a nice touch. All the staff at the hotel were friendly and accommodating with any needed request. My teenage boys enjoyed the swimming pool and hot tub and worked out a bit in the fitness room. The food in the mornings and evening’s was adequate and a step above many other hotels I’ve stayed. I would recommend this hotels two bedroom suite’s for a traveling family as it has lots of room for everyone to stretch out and relax.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Stafford, Virginia
Reviewed July 22, 2010

First the pluses:

Breakfast 7 days a week included. Usually real scrambled eggs, bacon/sausage, French toast or pancakes, yogurt, cereal, orange juice, coffee. Dinner M-Th, with wine and beer. Usually an entrée with a side, plus a salad. Both meals are very good, but limited selections, but its better than all the other free breakfast hotels I've stayed at.

Room was very comfortable. Free wired internet, spacious room with desk. Full size refrigerator, two burner stove, dishwasher and microwave. Didn't use much because of the breakfast and dinner offers.

Staff were amazing and friendly. The lady that checked me in remember my name and used it the entire two weeks. No other hotel I've been to did that.

Negatives:
Limited selection on TV. A little disappointing if you watch a lot of TV. Plenty of news stations, two ESPN, and few entertainment channels.

Pillows are weak. I slept with three every night.

Business center had one computer and printer. The PC had MS Office, but someone hasn't activated the product key, so it didn't work. For business travel that was a big negative.

All in all this is one of the best hotels I've stayed at in the Hilton chain that has the efficiency kitchen.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank wiremand
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed July 14, 2010

I travel a lot and usually stay in a Homewood Suites (favorite is YUMA) or a Holiday Inn Express, depending on the location and time of stay. This is a very nice hotel. It's normally quiet, quaint, and located near the airport and Petersen AFB. The staff is great!

As with most hotels, however, there are some things that could definitely use some improvement.

1. It has a terrible layout as far as access for loading and unloading your bags. You mostly have to go through the front entrance, no matter where your room is located. There is also cobblestone in front of the entrance, which looks good, but vibrates everything off the carts as you are trying to roll them into the hotel. The entrance is also difficult to maneuver as the doors are not automatic and you must manually open them, while trying to maneuver the cart through. I suggest replacing the main entrance doors with automatic ones.

2. The stairwells are metal, not carpeted. The room I am currently in is adjacent to one and it gets extremely loud on occasion (especially when children are going up and down stomping their feet) as the vibrations travel through the walls. The stairwells are also very dirty. The handles on the stairwell doors are lever type and must be pulled open from inside the stairwell. I like to take my food back to my room to eat, as do a lot of people, and it's difficult to open these doors with your hands full of plates and glasses. It shows, since most of the landings are full of spills from drinks or food. I've been here 2 weeks so far and they haven't been swept or mopped once. There is a dirty napkin that has been on the stairs since the day after I arrived. This tells me that management doesn't do floor checks. I suggest management conduct daily floor checks of ALL common areas and correct deficiencies as needed.

3. I haven't personally used the laundry facilities, but have been told by co-workers that there are only 2 washers and 2 dryers for the entire hotel, located on the 2nd floor, at a cost of $1.00 per load. I've been told the dryers do not dry well and have to be used twice for one load. Change and Laundry detergent is available on the 1st floor in the Suite Shop/Front desk. I have visited the guest laundry (but again, not used), and since it is quite large, I would suggest an additional 2 washers and 2 dryers be installed, along with a change machine and a coin operated laundry detergent dispenser. This would eliminate the need for an additional trip to the 1st floor for change and detergent and offer the customer a better laundry experience.

4. Upon arrival, I looked in the cabinets but found no dishes. I asked at the front desk and was told the dishes were in the dishwasher. I had just traveled 800 miles and now I had to put up dishes? My suggestion is to put the dishes in the cabinets. Most customers arrive after either a long plane trip or a long car trip and do not wish to have to put up the dishes as soon as they arrive. You have a sign stating that the dishes have been washed, but not sanitized.

5. This hotel does not have DVD players in the rooms, or offer free DVD rentals as a lot of the other Homewood Suites I have visited. You can, however, order games or movies directly from the television set. These movies are WAY overpriced at approximately $12.99 per movie. Some of the rooms have the older type television sets while some have the newer flat panel LCD televisions. If you purchase a DVD player at a local store, you can easily connect to the LCD TVs or with the proper cables, you can even connect your PC to it and use your PC as a DVD player (if it has that capability). Unfortunately, if you have the older type TV, you must get an adapter from the front desk for the DVD, PC's cannot be connected to the older type TV. I suggest replacing all of the older TVs and either have DVD players and movies available upon request, OR install the DVD players in each room and have the movies available as do most of the other Homewood Suites.

6. The rooms all have wired internet access (which I actually prefer). Upon check in, you will be asked if you want an Ethernet cable, in case you don't have one. The problem, however, is that there is only one outlet. I carry a work computer and a personal computer. There is no way to connect both at the same time, unless you go somewhere and purchase a switch (approximately a $25.00 purchase for a cheap one). Wireless access is available on the 1st floor common areas. Luckily, I have a newer personal laptop that has a great WiFi card. I can get a weak, but usable signal, allowing wireless access on the 3rd floor. My suggestion is to upgrade the wireless capability and extend it to each floor.

7. There is a great indoor pool and hot tub that is open from 6am to 11pm. Unfortunately, if you go for a swim at 6am, you may have to go to the front desk to ask for towels. Both times I went that early, no one had checked at the pools opening time to insure the towels were available on the shelf provided. My suggestion is to have someone on the night shift stock towels prior to 6am.

8. Each morning there is a breakfast served. Most of the time it is a pretty decent spread. To most people that are staying only a day or so, it would appear to be a great breakfast. To those of us staying for months at a time, well a little more change up would be nice. There are the staple items that are always available, such as bread for toast, bagels, muffins, hard boiled eggs, fruit, yogurt, etc... Then there are the main breakfast items that mostly consist of scrambled eggs 3 -4 days a week, occasionally changed out with a cheese omelet, and a meat consisting of either sausage pattys, sausage links, bacon or (I think) corned beef hash (unappetizing, as it looks like Alpo).
There is also, usually pancakes or French Toast and syrup. (I personally don't eat sweets.. (it's a beer belly people)) My favorite, sausage gravy, has only been served twice in 2 weeks so far and is usually served with biscuits. With this spread, I can usually find something desirable to eat. While this is generally well prepared, I can see quality control is not part of the breakfast program. There are several items that I find are poorly prepared. The bacon is ALWAYS overcooked to the consistency of jerky, The omelets have been scorched EVERY time they have been served, and the biscuits are the ABSOLUTE WORST biscuits I have ever ate. I'm not partial to the corned beef hash, but if served on gravy day, can be smothered with gravy and is not too bad. My suggestion is to have some type of quality control program. Stop serving scorched food, jerky bacon, PLEASE find a different biscuit, and my personal request, serve gravy more often.
9. Monday thru Thursday evenings (5:30 pm - 7:30 pm ) there is a Manager's Reception, where a light meal is served along with beer and wine. Although, I have not attended every night, I have yet to see the Manager attend. Most Homewood Suites have the Managers visiting with the guests, inquiring about their stay (thus the "reception"). The meal menus are posted on the refrigerators in each room, so you know what is served each evening. Most of the meals are delicious (for my taste) and plentiful. There is always salad available and is always fresh. I don't drink wine, so I won't comment on it, but I believe both a white and red are served. The beer, is on tap and so far, has been a choice of Bud and Bud Lite. My suggestion is to have Management attend this function. Upon inquiring of the guests stay, it is likely some of the above could easily be resolved.

10. The grilling area is pretty nice. Since we stay for long periods of time, we often grill out. There are 2 grills on a patio adjacent to the dining area. One is a 6 burner and the other a 2 burner. We've used them both and they both work very good. Utensils are available upon request. My suggestion is to space the grills better as it is difficult to light the pilot on the larger grill due to the propane bottles locations.

11. The business office is located on the 2nd floor and is very nice. However, it only has one computer, one printer and one desk chair. There is plenty of room for a 2nd chair and equipment. My suggestion is to add another computer and chair.

I know this sounds like a lot of bad stuff, but most of it is very minor and easily fixable. Most travelers will not even notice the majority of the items listed, but those on extended visits may.

I would certainly recommend this hotel, especially for extended stay travelers. If you are here for work, this is the place. If you are here as a tourist, then you may want something closer to those locations. I'm very satisfied.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank Shatmeister
Hopkins, South Carolina
Reviewed June 1, 2010

I moved to this hotel after spending a couple of nights in a substandard room at a nearby Hampton Inn. This hotel was much more in line with the Hilton quality I have grown to expect over the years. Nice spacious suites, nice pool, the staff was great. The breakfast was fantastic and they even had an evening snack meal included in the price. It was well worth my time to move to this hotel during the middle of my trip.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed March 31, 2009

We chose this hotel for the proximity to the Colorado Springs Airport. In that regard, it was great. But, the room, for being a suite, was very, very small. Definately too small a room for 2 adults and 2 teenagers. We had to move furniture around to be able to open the sleep sofa. The kitchen area was no more than a closet and there was no way more than one person was fitting in at once. The kitchen table was awkwardly placed against the wall and the chairs were definately too big for the area. The bedroom was very small and the king size bed barely fit in the room. The carpet was badly stained, but the rest of the room was fine. The hotel sits right on the main thoroughfare and consequently, one could hear the traffic noise all night long. The wireless internet was non-exhistant. Very frustrating. I asked for an ethernet cable, which they readily had available, but the outlet didn't work... :-(

On a positive side, the bed was comfortable and the breakfast was good. Would I stay here again? Probably not.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank dms21466
Texas
Reviewed July 24, 2008

We spent two night here in July. The breakfast offerings were plentiful...several hot items (scrambled eggs, hash, biscuits & gravy, fresh toast) These items changed daily. Additionally there was cereal, bagels, toast, donuts, and yogurt every day.
This location is near the airport, however it is not close to anything else. We had to drive several miles to locate food, gas and shopping. It is 15-20 minutes from tourist areas: 7 falls, Garden of the Gods etc.

• Liked — breakfast
  • Disliked — location
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank 785susanw