“Outstanding Zoo for Everyone!”

Cheyenne Mountain Zoo
More attraction details
Owner description: Colorado Springs is home to America’s ONLY mountain zoo. Located at 6,800 feet above sea level, Cheyenne Mountain Zoo offers breathtaking views of the city and of its 750 animals. The unique design of the Zoo’s animal exhibits gets guests closer than ever before. Hand-feed one of the largest reticulated giraffe herds in the world, watch grizzlies swim with trout, hop next to red-necked wallabies and get hands on with some of the Zoo’s smaller residents in The Loft. Have a WILD adventure at Cheyenne Mountain Zoo – see the animals, ride an antique carousel, eat a gourmet lunch at the Grizzly Grill and ride the Mountaineer Sky Ride to the Zoo’s summit. Visit 365 days a year for family fun at the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo.
Reviewed April 4, 2013

I've been to this zoo 3 times in the past 7 years, each time I've vacationed in CO. It is a great zoo! I'm from New Orleans and thought our zoo was impressive, but this is my favorite by far! I've been once with my elderly mother, once with my adult daughter, and the last time with her, my adult son and his 7-yr-old daughter. Each time was better than the last. The animals were all easy to see, for the most part-- there are always some who hide from time to time, but that's to be expected. All the exhibits were well done, except the monkey house for the small monkeys-- that is rather outdated and pretty stinky. But the giraffes, meerkats, elephants, bears, etc., were all very easy to see. The exhibit of the big cats is really great-- you can go inside a glass-encased opening where they like to sun themselves and get real close-up views! It was wonderful. My granddaughter and I went up the incline ride and she loved the little play area at the top as much as the ride itself, which had spectacular views. She also loved petting the wallabies and the "Big Backyard", and of course, feeding the giraffes. We all had the best time. Of course, we always visited in late spring/early summer, so there were no worries about ice, snow or freezing temperatures keeping the animals hidden or making walking difficult. I am at a loss as to why some reviewers were upset about those conditions when they visited in January or other winter months... The price of admission is kind of high, but not at all out of line with any other zoo I've ever been to in the last couple of decades. It isn't a roadside zoo, after all. I recommend it to everyone, and we will be back each time we're in the area, for sure!

Write a ReviewReviews (3,939)
All reviews
in 215 reviews
"pet"
in 256 reviews

Reviewed April 4, 2013

They just opened up their new elephant, rhino and lion exhibit. This zoo is full of fantastic animals and it's interactive for all ages. Feed the budgie birds, giraffes, chickens, pet the baby wallaby's and other seasonal goodness.

They have a restaurant that can provide food for many dietary needs. Keep that large cup hand as refills are free at the main restaurant and 1.00 at the satellite locations around the zoo.

Bring your walking shoes, stroll along, take your time and breath that fresh Colorado Mountain air.

Reviewed April 3, 2013

You can pay $2 and feed the giraffes. It is an amazing experience to feed those huge animals with their long tongues! Our kids (2 and 4 yrs) loved this zoo. Glad we brought our stroller for hauling the toddler up and down mountain paths. It's a nice collection of animals, great setting, fun things like pony rides and carousel, and interactive exhibits for kids to enjoy. We will definitely go back. We went during spring break and it was busy but not super crowded, except for the parking lot. We were glad we went first thing in the morning because by the time we went home after lunch, there was a huge line of cars waiting to get in to the parking lot, the traffic went all the way down the mountain.

Thank SwissMrs.
Reviewed March 30, 2013

I think this is the most beautiful setting for a zoo! We went on a beautiful spring day and all the animals were out and active. My son loved feeding the giraffes- it was one of the highlights of his trip. Although the zoo was busy, it never felt over crowded and there was plenty of room to observe all of the animals. It is on a hill so be prepared to walk but, for us that made it even more enjoyable as it slowed the kids down a bit.