“Cheyenne Mountain Zoo”

Cheyenne Mountain Zoo
More attraction details
Owner description: Colorado Springs is home to America’s ONLY mountain zoo. Located at 6,800 feet above sea level, Cheyenne Mountain Zoo offers breathtaking views of the city and of its 750 animals. The unique design of the Zoo’s animal exhibits gets guests closer than ever before. Hand-feed one of the largest reticulated giraffe herds in the world, watch grizzlies swim with trout, hop next to red-necked wallabies and get hands on with some of the Zoo’s smaller residents in The Loft. Have a WILD adventure at Cheyenne Mountain Zoo – see the animals, ride an antique carousel, eat a gourmet lunch at the Grizzly Grill and ride the Mountaineer Sky Ride to the Zoo’s summit. Visit 365 days a year for family fun at the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo.
virginia, USA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Cheyenne Mountain Zoo”
Reviewed November 18, 2012

I went back to this zoo back in June 2012. Regular ticket prices are expensive to get in, but I have found that is a trend at zoos now. We had a coupon so we ended up only having to pay for one person which was nice. They give you tokens so once you are in the zoo, you can add your token to whichever animal (habitat) charity you would like. I thought that was a cool idea. The zoo itself was cool. It is built onthe side of a mountain so there was a lot of walking uphill. If you are going in the summer, bring water to drink! For like $2 you get a couple pieces of lettuce to feed to the giraffes. It was worth it to me since I got to pet a giraffe! They had a some animals out with handlers so you can touch them and ask questions (turtles, wallaby). Most of the enclosures are with a glass front so some of the animals are really easy to see. The lioness was right up front putting it's paws on the glass. Like every zoo some animals you have to search to find, which is a good thing since their enclosure is mimicking their habitat. I've been to numerous zoos across the country and this is one near the top of the list.

Visited June 2012

7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“This is an Awesome Zoo”
Reviewed November 17, 2012

When we first started coming here ten years ago, this zoo had a 1940s vibe -- small cages, beige tile, sort of sad. But boy have they made huge strides in the last decade. They now have some really great natural enclosures that give the animals a much more normal life and the visitors a much better experience. CMZ has the world's largest captive giraffe herd. You can buy crackers and feed them, which is just an amazing experience. They also have a great mountain section with a moose who lives near a lake and bears with a fish pond to swim in. They have wolves and gorillas and lions and tigers. They have free hopping wallabies in one area and hippos in another. They also have a skyride, which is like a ski lift, but it takes you down too. There's not much to do when you're up at the top, but it gives you a great view of the city on the way down. I wish walking down was an option, it’s pretty up there. Sure, the zoo still has a few of those pokey cages, but they've really made progress. This is a place that’s really worth the admission price. Just a word of warning, this zoo is built on a mountain as the name implies, there’s a lot of up and down walking involved here (although the worst part has an elevator available). Be prepared to get a work out.

Visited May 2012
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Three generations of Cheyenne Mountain Zoo goers!”
Reviewed November 15, 2012

I had gone quite often to this zoo when I was young and I loved it. However, after my daughter Myka was born, I went often twice a week to get my exercise on those challenging, lovely hills. I enjoyed visiting with a lot of the wonderful zoo keepers, who had become our friends. Soon Myka was bringing friends of her own with us - so our group consisted of four little girls and me. Years later the girls told me that this started a tradition as they now take their own families. I am a grandma now - what a pleasure! Jay, Ayden and I make up my new group. We marvel at our beautiful zoo and at the way it gets better and more interesting every year. By the way, Myka and I still miss the "Bear Man" - your know, the one with the huge tatoo of a bear on his chest - what was his name again?

Visited October 2012
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“A Zoo on a mountainside?”
Reviewed November 15, 2012

This zoo has added ambiance due to it's lovely mountain setting. If you care to hike the paths here, you get a bit of a workout while admiring a vast amount of animals in wonderfully designed habitats. Around Christmas, they do a neat theme and apple cider is a must! Make sure you stop in to see the views of the city at the very least!

Visited November 2012
Amarillo, Texas
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“So cool so long to get there.”
Reviewed November 12, 2012

The Zoo is a cool place, it just takes forever to get there. Almost got lost despite the GPS signs are few and far between. Still a great time I never knew that a giraffe's head could almost fit in a stroller, neither did my daughter till one tried. She was not amused, although everyone else there was.

Visited December 2011