“An educational experience on mining”

Western Museum of Mining and Industry
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The museum features artifacts and research involving the region's early mining and industrial activities.
Reviewed July 29, 2011

We took our 8 year old because of the 1920's steam shovel which operates in June and July. The tour guide was very knowledgable and really kept the tour interesting. The tour lasted over 2 and 1/2 hours which was about 1 hour too long but if you are interested in mining and the machines that dig, crush, bore and drill - this is for you. The movie was not good, but overall all the kids present for the tour kept interested the whole time.

2  Thank GolfdaddyT

Reviewed June 20, 2011

The tour was short but sweet. You were able to see many old machines operate as well as many large machines that were kept outside. You can also pan for gold after the tour is over. Not the most exciting tour but it was worth the money.

1  Thank Sterkey25
Reviewed May 18, 2011

My daughter was learning about the gold rush and mining at the time we were in Colorado Springs for spring break. I found this on a quick internet search. Our tour guide was fabulous. She was great with the kids. She showed how to patiently pan for gold while explaining the process and history of the gold rush. They had various equipment on display and demonstrated all of them. My daughter (age 7) was captivated. High recommend!

4  Thank jenn0042
Reviewed June 8, 2010

Despite having a background in geology, I didn't think I would find this museum particularly interesting. But, as a brand new resident of Colorado Springs (COS), I'm exploring everything.

The museum is directly off of I-25 to the north of COS. It doesn't look that impressive from the outside. A fellow I assumed was younger than I by ten years took my $6 entry fee...reduced by $2 as a senior citizen. We began chatting and I discovered he was 10 years my senior! And a gentleman who had a true love of the story of mining and old machinery. He was, as they say, a font of information. I was quite early for the tour, but he gave me a mini-tour of my own of part of the museum. Then I wandered about looking at the displays. Even without the tour, you can learn a lot about mining. The tour began with a 20 minute film that, again, was surprisingly good. A lady, who obviously enjoyed her work, was our guide. She was very personable; she was nervous after learning I had a background in geology, but she was far more knowledgeable than I about mining geology. She made the tour interesting for both the adults and the kids; a good balance. Especially impressive was the fact that many of the tools (jackhammers, steam engines) were operable, and she and the gentleman gave working demonstrations of mining equipment. I had expected to spend a little over and hour here, but ended up spending 3. It was well worth it, both in terms of the fee and the time. The people running it made it special! Well worth a visit.

5  Thank vinlyn
Reviewed May 19, 2009

I live in the area & have driven past this museum countless times. I didn't think it would be worth going in, but I was wrong. My family & I decided to check it out when my sister was in town visiting. They were having "Burro Days." They have 2 super cute Burros - Oro and Nugget that you can pet & feed. That alone made the trip worthwhile. Our toddler loved it.
We decided to go in & check out the museum. Admission is a little high, but they have some interesting exhibits & they will demonstrate some of the old mining equipment. You probably don't nee more than an hour inside, but it's a great look at our local history.

2  Thank comom08