“A true pleasure to stay at this hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Mining Exchange A Wyndham Grand Hotel & Spa

The Mining Exchange A Wyndham Grand Hotel & Spa
Ranked #5 of 107 Hotels in Colorado Springs
Silver Spring, Maryland
“A true pleasure to stay at this hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

I stayed at the newly opened Mining Exchange (Wyndham) in January for three nights for work. I picked it based off of the tremendous reviews I found on this site and others, and I’m writing to offer my support to those reviews. The hotel was tremendous and met or surpassed my expectations in every way.

Pros:
- I was able to get in for government rate, but even the regular rates seemed reasonable to me. Some amenities that are typically not included in luxury hotels like free internet were included in my rate.
- I’m not sure if I lucked out, but my room was very nicely sized. It wasn’t a suite with a separate room, but had a nice leather couch and coffee table in addition to the king size bed and the desk/counter area. The foyer/closet, sink, and bathroom/shower are all separate little areas as well. The closet was a bit small but was fine for a short stay.
- The hotel bed was very comfortable, both for sleeping and to lay there and watch TV, etc. I actually felt well-rested which does not always happen when I am in a hotel.
- The design of the hotel was really gorgeous, unique, and a lot of fun. My room had three paintings/large photographs that each had individual spotlights (controlled on a dimmer) for a very cool effect, and part of the wall facing the street was exposed brick. There were nice pictures in the various halls of the hotel too, and some of the doors (for example, to housekeeping) looked like old vault/safe doors. Just a tremendously cool hotel with a retro feel.
- The shower had a double showerhead and great water pressure. There’s nothing more disappointing than getting to a hotel after a long day of travel and taking a weak, tepid shower. Not a concern here.
- The staff was great, although I didn’t need them for much. Everyone at the desk was great and answered my questions and requests from check-in to check-out. Special credit go to the bartender for getting me a (complementary) bottle of water for my room at the restaurant attached to the hotel because I had drank mine earlier during a hike, and I was too cold to go out, and to Mark, the concierge/valet, who answered my question about local bars/restaurants, and who gladly told me about parking garages/street parking in order to save on the hotel’s valet only parking.

Cons (I have to pick a few):
- The hotel charges $18 for valet, garage parking, and when I went, it happened to be extremely cold. If you can’t get a meter right in front of the hotel, you will end up parking a block or so away. Bundle up!
- It is a full service hotel, not an express/business hotel, so there is no free breakfast or anything of the sort. The hotel’s business center seemed to consist of two computers. The hotel internet was largely solid, so as long as you bring your own device, you should be good.

I had a very enjoyable experience with the gorgeous hotel and great staff. I was completely pleased with my experience and would recommended it to anyone coming through Colorado Springs. If I'm back in the area, I would not hesitate to stay here again.

1 Thank JF1414

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
Colorado Springs, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

This is a beautifully renovated hotel. It is a gem in downtown Colorado Springs. The rooms are done up with high quality furnishings in a most tasteful manner. The staff are attentive and provide efficient service. The location provides easy walking access to downtown entertainment and dining. The Mining Exchange provides a quality stay and experience

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank 43michael
San Diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

As a road warrior, I've become accustomed to the "good enough," and only rarely do I stay at a property that is truly outstanding. The Mining Exchange, a brand new Wyndham Grand Hotel, is one of those rare, exceptional and fantastic places.

First of all, it's brand spanking new and the renovation of the Old Mining Exchange building was accomplished exquisitely, with the best materials, fixtures and appointments. They've retained some of the feel of the old listed building, including exposed brick walls, huge windows, and wall safes in the corridors which are now used for housekeeping storage.

The rooms are huge, as are the bathrooms and the wall-mounted flat screen HDTV, the ceilings are high and the bathrooms done in the best marble. Lots of nice little touches, such as fine art nicely lit, terry bathrobes, nightly turn down service with mint chocolates on the pillow, LED reading lights and more fluffy towels than anyone could ever need. The shower in my room could easily fit 4 people and had two shower heads.

The lobby is also very large and furnished with massive sofas covered in throw cushions. The lobby bar isn't huge, but has two flat screen TV's. Rumor has it they're planning to add a world class restaurant. I can't wait. Apparently there are some large meeting rooms and ballrooms on lower floors that are equally well appointed. Note: there is no pool and meals come from a restaurant next door.

The staff are very friendly and uber professional, helpful and courteous.

I've stayed - and complained on TA about - the tired, old Hilton Antlers about a block away from this new property. Now that the Wyndham is in town, the owners of the Hilton had better watch out; and they need to do what they've needed to do for 10 years - completely renovate the place top to bottom.

You cannot go wrong by staying at The Mining Exchange - it is a rare and wonderful gem.

Room Tip: They're all good, however none have a view of the mountains due to surrounding buildings.
1 Thank SDTripster
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

I've stayed in the best hotels all around the world... but this hotel is by far my favorite. Why? It's clean, beautiful, cozy, and most of all- IT'S ABOUT THE PEOPLE. THE PEOPLE make the place, as they say; nowhere is this more true. From the moment we arrived they were warm and welcoming. I had bags under my eyes and had just parked in a meter spot, it was well after midnight, the meter limit said 6AM and of course I did not want to awake at 5:55AM and feed the meter; this is when the Wyndham Manager John came into the picture. He took one look at my weary eyes and said, "Give me the keys, I will take care of it." He did. And continued to be the "go to" guy for the remainder of our week long stay, along with Mark the Valet (what a Gentleman) and others. This place is a HAVEN. The food is ironically THE BEST IN TOWN, as the neighboring restaurant "Springs Orleans" is magnificent and affordable- "must eats" are the truffle mac n cheese (add seared ahi tuna for a protein boost- my mouth waters as i type...), the caesar salad (for all those caesar salad fans this is authentic ie the chef actually makes the dressing out of fresh ingredients and the salad is chilled), and the "disco fries" (MY LORD, vegetarian gravy and cheese melted over amazing homemade fries... i can't even begin to tell you). We barely ever wanted to leave the place. Huge modern double shower head shower, beautiful piece of art work showcased on the wall, huge state-of-the-art flat-screen TV, the most comfortable ever king size bed with duvet and covers, trustworthy staff, the most hospitable enjoyable lounge lobby with wide open window walls encasing cozy couches and a great bar- ask Shin for his unique spin on a whiskey & ginger... I cannot say enough. And all close enough to drive for a day trip to the slopes- we went to Monarch Ski and it was a fantastic day. To our friends at the Wyndham Mining Exchange: John, Mark, Shin, Kelsey, Etc... We miss y'all.

Stay cool! haa,
Jason and Sahara

Room Tip: They provided a free humidifier for the dry colorado weather!!!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jason k k
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

This hotel is newly refurbished and enjoys a central location downtown. Overall it was hard to fault the facilities, and the room was well equipped but didn't have a view of Pikes Peak like other lucky guests. The 'double' shower was excellent, the bed very comfy, but the room a little dark. The lounge/reception area was homely with attentive staff. Breakfast was 'substantial' with very little in the way of light options, but enjoyable all the same. The price was also good for this standard of hotel and I would definitely stay again.

1 Thank DesertDrifters
Sun City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

i Arranged rooms for several of my family members who were coming together in CO SPGS for my father's funeral. From the reservation rep, to the check out rep, we were treated in the most courteous and thoughtful manner. We were made to feel very welcome. The service was exemplary. Never saw any of the hotel staff without a smile and a willing hand to help solve any issue we had, or to answer any questions we had. Only drawback was lack of access to my vehicle, but the staff was prompt and efficient when asked to get my car whenever it was needed. Thanks so much for a comforting stay during our time of grief.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel and Resorts

1 Thank CAROL S
AKRON
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

an outstanding property...my oldest son is a student at Colorado College, in Colorado Springs. We will make it a poitn to stay at the Mining Exchange in the future. Excellent facility. Looking forward to the new workout room!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel and Resorts

1 Thank JAMES W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Colorado Springs
Garden of the Gods Club and Resort
Garden of the Gods Club and Reso...
#4 of 107 in Colorado Springs
4.5 of 5 stars 933 reviews
Drury Inn & Suites Colorado Springs near the Air Force Academy
Drury Inn & Suites Colorado Spri...
#1 of 107 in Colorado Springs
The Antlers
#22 of 107 in Colorado Springs
4.0 of 5 stars 1,032 reviews
Staybridge Suites Colorado Springs
Staybridge Suites Colorado Sprin...
#3 of 107 in Colorado Springs
4.5 of 5 stars 482 reviews
BEST WESTERN PLUS Peak Vista Inn & Suites
BEST WESTERN PLUS Peak Vista Inn...
#8 of 107 in Colorado Springs
4.5 of 5 stars 923 reviews

Been to The Mining Exchange A Wyndham Grand Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!