“Better than some, but not the best”
Review of Pueblo Viejo

Pueblo Viejo
Ranked #318 of 1,467 Restaurants in Colorado Springs
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed August 8, 2012

My family and I are Mexican food junkies, and I personally am always on the search for the perfect chile relleno and green chile. At the present, my gold standard is the fare I receive on a consistent basis from El Tapatio in Lake, CO.

We usuallt begin our rating scale on the chips and salsa brought to the table. The chips were very good--hot and crisoy---did NOT taste like they came "out of a bag"! BIG plus! The salsas were vry good--one mild and one pretty spicy--tasted homemade! The bean dip was a bit runny, but a nie effort.

I ordered the chile relleno (crispy) which came with a red sauce over it--not my favorite (I prefer a green pork chile topping) but I would say 5 on a 10 star scale. It was very small and there was a lot of coating--yuck. I like to taste the pepper--afterall, it is supposed to be a stuffed CHILE! There was very little cheese, but at least it was the white queso that is traditional (I recently had a cheddar cheese stuffed relleno--gross!!!) I also tried the crab stuffed avocado--very large appetizer, Could easily have been an entree. It was good, but the crab meat was totally from a can, and was mostly tomatoes/salsa...I ended up removing most of the stuffing and enjoyd the huge and very fresh avocado under it---even made a little of my own guacamole for more chips!

Overall, we would probably return to this restaurant, but not before trying others in the area, first. The srvice was good, and the house margaritas were tasty, but I did not get even a low buzz from it--which proves to me it was more mix--less tequila. No bueno on that!

Reviewed July 8, 2012

Some of the worst tacos that I have ever had. I even upgraded to Carne Asada. There was no cheese on the tacos and I had specifically asked for no lettuce and tomatoes. I did receive the tacos with no lettuce or tomatoes but the waiter failed to let me know that the tacos would be loaded with cilantro and onions. Loaded with onions? What kind of tacos have onions? No choice of crunchy or soft tacos. The tacos just came on corn tortillas. Once I picked out all of the onions and cilantro the carne asada was pretty tasty. Tacos are the judging factor of any Mexican restaurant. If the tacos are not very good then I probably won't go back to try something else. The special for the night was chicken stir fry. Not very fitting for a supposed authentic Mexican restaurant.

Reviewed March 20, 2012

I like that there are seafood dishes on their menu, and I have not had a bad meal yet. Their margaritas are awesome!

Reviewed January 22, 2012

From the moment we walked through the door, the staff at Pueblo Viejo greeted us warmly and treated us like family. Our service was relaxed but prompt. We made a special salsa request that was fulfilled without hesitation. The prices are quite reasonable, but be forewarned that proportions are huge! Everything from the draft beers to the burritos is super-sized!

Even though Mexican food is not near the top of my list, the generous portions, fair prices and amiable staff ensure we will return here again.