“An undesireable element lodges here - otherwise your average Motel 6”

Motel 6 Colorado Springs
Ranked #80 of 105 Hotels in Colorado Springs
Cuenca, Ecuador
“An undesireable element lodges here - otherwise your average Motel 6”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2011

Needing a night's rest, I checked into this Motel 6, thinking that the boorish crowd wasn't present. Wrong! As I drove into the back parking lot where my upstairs room was, I noticed some men speaking Spanish, going back and forth from their downstairs room to their pickup truck - getting, shall we say, "party supplies." Not what you would call couth, or even respectable folks. Only after their own interests, based upon observation. I wisely parked away from this group and kept my distance from them.

Upon entering and settling into my room, I noticed that this room had a connecting room door. No biggie, right? Wrong! The people next door to me were talking loudly in Spanish and not, shall we say, interested in sleeping. After calling the front desk twice, they finally relented and stopped their, ahem, activity. Dunno if police were called, not interested in observing drama, just sleep. . . A connecting room door allowed the sound from their adjoining room to interfere with my sleep. Be aware and ask for a standard nonconnecting room if possible.

The room: remodeled standard Motel 6. Wood style flooring and new cubicle style shower stall. Flat screen television with typical Motel 6 channel lineup, including ESPN and HBO. The shower cubicle had a leak from the water ring array by the shower head, which allowed water to puddle on the bathroom floor. A definite safety hazard for a slip and fall. I took two towels to wipe up the excess spilled water. On the level upstairs walkway corridor leading to my room, part of the patterned concrete chipped away as I walked on it, not inspiring confidence in this traveler. I understand there is seasonal snow and ice at this location which can weaken such structures, but to see it just chipped away by simply walking on the surface and having it fail - even though it was a small piece - is unnerving. Just a couple of items to be aware of if you stay here.

Safety: did I feel safe in my room? Yes. Outside my room? Not always. I did avoid conversation and kept distance from other occupants while coming to my room and leaving, and was cautious in this way. You should be too, IMHO.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank Underdog_SPP

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Denver, Colorado
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2011

The price wasn't bad, but this place didn't have much to offer. Want a fridge in your room? actually that's extra. Wi-Fi? Extra (and crappy). The free "premium" cable was maybe three or four more channels besides the basic antenna locals. Listed ammenties on internet were a joke. Not so much as a hairdryer.
ALSO there was construction in the morning during the entire length of our stay. (front desk didn't mention it until after I'd paid, btw) At points the parking lot was to the point where I couldn't leave! (not cool). Housekeeping made the bed but never actually changed the sheets and we had to ask for more towels both times.
The room next to us had the TV stolen last night. Which we just laughed off as odd, but this morning someone STOLE OUR LAUNDRY right out the dryer. Everything. The manager/owner's response? "Oh... (shrug) Sorry." I understand "not responsible for lost/stolen items" but COME ON! do SOMETHING! So, basic room, lax and/or uncaring staff, your stuff may get stolen.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank trubirdCO

Travelers are raving about these Colorado Springs hotels

SE Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2011

Half of the rooms are being remodeled, the other half are done. My room still smelled slightly of paint. The reservations and front desk staff were friendly and helpful. I thought the rate of just under $40 was reasonable. I asked to check in early and they were able to accommodate me.

The rooms are small. Very little room around the 2 beds. There is a small counter top with a fairly large flatscreen tv. The bathroom has a shower stall, no tub.

The motel is just off of I25. It was close to my doctors office, so it worked great for me.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
Montrose
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2010

Upon arrival we entered the room to find that there was no iron/ironing board, no hair dryer, no bathtub, no microwave (not always standard, I understand) and Internet access was EXTRA. The room did not reflect the price we paid for it.

The bed sheets did not fit the bed; we struggled with them all night. That made for a very bad nights sleep three nights in a row. We would have checked out but there were so many events around town that we couldn't get accommodations for the next night. We really tried and I gave up on saving money, but no one was available except for the other "cheaper" hotels. This took time out of our scheduled events that day also, so it was very irritating to go on a wild goose chase for nothing because the front desk clerk couldn't give us accurate information about the quality of the room. But, by God, she did let us know that WiFi was EXTRA on top of the amount we paid for the room.

We were charged $230 (3 nights at military discount) for two hard beds with bad fitting sheets, a stall shower, a desk with a chair that also doubled as a TV stand, a bad and old TV, some hangers, a luggage stand, a tiny tiny nightstand, itchy and irritating soap (no shampoo), linens, and an ice bucket and cups. Oh, and I cannot forget that though we didn't have any other normal hotel amenities we sure as sin had a beer bottle opener in the bathroom!

There was no complimentary breakfast offered, which I remember being told that there was. Again for the price paid here we did not get anything that reflected the value. This was disappointing to hear. My girlfriend and I got up early and for nothing expecting breakfast and when we learned there was none we got a coffee from the front lobby and it was the most bitter and cheap tasting coffee I have ever had in my life. It was nowhere near good.

On our way out to town we came across a housekeeper and my girlfriend asked her a question. The housekeeper looked at her with a confused face and said "No speak English." Now, don't get me wrong but I thought we were in America. I really wish that people would stop employing citizens (or illegal’s) that cannot speak the native language and cannot assist in customer service because they "No speak English." I don't know if she really did not speak English or if she just did not want to talk to my girlfriend. Nevertheless, that is disturbing that she either did not want to help or really couldn’t help. It is also disheartening that this is what American owned businesses are coming to, while plenty of American citizens that can speak English sit on unemployment. I am saddened that Motel 6 would employ this person.

We decided to go to the pool one evening and we were, at this point, not surprised to see a police car in front of the lobby. There was some issue with a teen. I was not interested in knowing. We entered the pool only to find the red neck freak show was in town. There were a few adults out with a few teen aged kids. It became clear quickly that the teen with the cop had issues with the other people at the pool. The adults were all blatantly drunk. They were yelling and arguing with the cops and the kid. It was shameful. One of the guys had his lady friend there and still had the nerve to drunkenly come over and hit on my girlfriend as we were getting in the pool. Then my girlfriend and I decided to read the rules and there isn’t one there about alcohol, but there is one there about glass containers are not allowed in the pool area. Nevertheless, Mr. hit on my girlfriend while his lady is sitting right there had a LARGE container of Jim Beam and a bottle of champagne. Both glass containers and the hotel staff (because they never came out), nor the police ever came and said something to him. They also had their laptop out for some musical entertainment, which was terrible and loud music. We never saw any hotel personnel come out to check on anyone or even make sure that things were going alright with the police. The office was RIGHT THERE. You can see out at the pool from the office. And if not then you can walk right out there. We just wanted to relax and swim and we couldn’t even enjoy some quiet time and even if it wasn’t “quiet” it didn’t have to be as trashy as it was.

The hotel walkway was also pretty unsettling. I am a big guy and I was afraid to walk up the stairwell and to our room. The stairs were chipping away and uneven, my girlfriend tripped several times. There was an A/C unit at the top of the stairs that had been modified using wood that had to have holes drilled in it. There were wood shavings all over the place that never got cleaned up. On the walkway to our room it sloped as if it were falling off the side of the building. There was a break, chip, in the cement where they had poorly tied up a small orange cone to. It really felt as if it could give way at any time. And the railing was scary too. I leaned on it and it bowed out. I quickly stopped.

When my girlfriend went to the lobby to attempt to pay for half of the hotel room she was told that we could not refund half of the amount on my card (I paid up front) or even the whole amount and start all over. Then when she asked about a customer service satisfaction survey of some sort the front desk personnel did not even attempt to find out why and resolve the issue. She just told her that there was one online that can be emailed to her AFTER the reservation had ended.

This was a very poor stay. I have to say that I would have rather stayed at the Econolodge. At least there you know what you are getting and still don’t have to pay as much for it. So, I will never again stay at this Motel 6 and may very well never choose this chain again.

I finally received an email from the Hotel Manager, tell me you haven't heard this before!

"Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the 0035 Colorado Springs. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies. At Motel 6, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence. We appreciate your sharing your concerns, and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future. Sincerely, FloydGeneral ManagerMotel 6 #0035 Colorado Springs"

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jeweled33
Machynlleth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2010

Standard budget motel - it's ok for a nights sleep. I arrived at about 6pm, found the girl on reception to be pleasant, went into town for a while, came back around 11 watched some TV and had an undisturbed nights sleep. Did not see any undesirables or anything in the area. The pool did not look attractive it had a lot of debris floating in it, but the room was clean.

• Stayed September 2010
1 Thank rtl2
kansas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2010

We checked in during the day and it appeared to be your average Motel 6. The room was clean, but that is about the only good thing I can say. After returning in the dark after eating supper, we came back to find the cops searching some of the rooms and a weird guy lurking just around the corner from our room. We were unable to park any where near our room and were forced to walk a distance to our room, hoping we could make it there safely! We have stayed at many motel 6, as we travel with pets and this was the worst! We felt in danger and didn't leave our room until the sun came up. During the night, someone parked their truck 2 feet outside our door in the no parking zone. The smell of diesel was not so nice. When I checked us out the next morning out of all three of us in the lobby, we all had complaints and management seemed like they didn't care. We called the La Quinta and they were more than happy to accommodate us and our pets! NOTE: after doing some checking on the internet, in january a woman who stayed at this motel was robbed and tied up in her room.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank kscrazies
Arkansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed at this motel for 6 nights and it was just perfect! The customer service that we received was better than any Motel 6 I've ever stayed at. They took care of any needs that we had, and helped to make this an unforgettable vacation! I loved seeing the mountains when I opened the door in the morning! What a glorious view!! There is no doubt that if I come back where I'll stay, it was "just right"!! : ) Thank you all very much for a wonderful stay!!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple