“Awful experience” 2 of 5 bubbles

TAPAteria
Ranked #36 of 1,402 Restaurants in Colorado Springs
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Spanish, Wine Bar
Good for: Families with children, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Old World & Colorado Tapas and Wines. 100% Gluten-free menu; 50% Vegetarian; 25% Vegan. Authentic Spanish tapas and deli with 5 chorizos, 2 Spanish hams, and 8 imported Spanish cheeses. Covered and heated patio. Local farm & ranch suppliers.
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
“Awful experience”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2013

I chose this restaurant based on the reviews, and even now I see that the average is a 4, so maybe I just chose some bad things to eat.

I have eaten tapas in Spain, where I do believe they originated, so I was expecting something similar. I was not expecting to order off a plastic menu with all kinds of forks sticking up, which isn't really a big deal unless you're into cleanliness. No offense, but I would rather not touch a fork that's been fondled by other customers as they search for the perfect one.

Had the food been good, I doubt I would have even thought twice about those two items, but because the food was so BAD, I feel like picking on them!

I ordered the mushroom toast and think I got canned mushrooms, chopped up small, but there was a huge taste of garlic in them, and as I cut the toast in bites, half of the topping fell on the plate, meaning it was dry.

I was hungry, ate only 1/2 and then ordered the goat cheese salad. I love goat cheese and if that's in the name, you'd expect to actually HAVE some goat cheese in the salad. It was a large portion of a salad with your typical salad mixture and LOADS of dressing (I think Italian. If not, then Italian based.) So much of that was there that in the bottom, there were about 3 tablespoons that had settled. Way too much.

The goat cheese I got was one piece about the size of a half dollar, only thicker of course. That manager of that restaurant should be ashamed to charge $7 for that.

I know this is a weird thing to complain about, but tapas is appetizers. So why would you serve such a large portion, as both were? I think if you went with a group, that would be more fitting, but still, do like a dim sum type of thing.

The decor was really trashy looking. From where I sat, across from the bar, I could see a lot of clutter and disorganization.

Later I mentioned to a resident of Col. Spgs that I'd eaten there and she said, "Oh no, that place is terrible!" So I guess it's just me and her, because the other reviews were really positive.

The ONLY redeeming feature of this restaurant visit was my server, who did a great job waiting on me.

• Visited June 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Dave B, Owner at TAPAteria, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Our mushroom toasted is made from house hand-chopped mushrooms and seasonings, including garlic. It is one of our most popular dishes with regulars and in other reviews. We make our Goat Cheese Salad with local Haystack Applewood Smoked Chevre which supports our local producers. Our regulars find the 1.5 oz portion on an appetizer size salad for $6.95 to be a good value. Sorry the salad was over-dressed -- we are definitely working on that and servers are now asking customers if they would like dressing on the side. We work hard to satisfy all of our customers and are proud to have earned a 4.5 Tripadvisor rating and 2012 and 2013 Awards of Excellence from Tripadvisor. We also won 2013 local media awards for our tapas. Clearly this 2.0 rating (our first ever) was an anomaly.

Colorado Springs, Colorado
“"Two Words: Patio and Sangria"”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2013

The sign in front drew us right through the front door! "Two Words: Patio and Sangria". We opted to sit out on the patio in back because of the fresh air and the song of the birds. There was a good variety of tapas... all delicious. And the tempranillo reserve was also excellent. I'll go back. The only criticism I have is that I'd love for them to get a little decor help with the patio. It was rather stark and uninviting.

• Visited May 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Fun place to meet with friends”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013

I have been wanting to try this place and finally got a chance to do so. The atmosphere was fun, if a bit cluttered. There were some nice offering on the menu but to be honest, I was hoping for some more fun, different things then they had. Still, it was quite good and they have a nice, fairly priced wine menu. The waiter was able to answer my questions on the wines, which was a nice change of pace from most places. Also, they were very accommodating about not rushing us towards the end of the evening.

Our waiter would disappear from time to time but at least he did reappear after awhile. I will go back again, it was a relaxing, fun place to hang out with friends.

• Visited April 2013
Portland, Oregon
“Great food, perfect serving sizes”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

If you want to have fun trying various exciting food choices this is the place. Fresh plates of perfect serving sizes gives a couple or two the chance to taste various combinations, all with good wine baked by impeccable service. Try almost anything mushroom and you will understand, especially mushroom toast.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank bogeybacall
Dave B, Owner at TAPAteria, responded to this review, June 29, 2013
Thank you for your review. Glad you loved the mushroom toast!
Corralitos, California
“One of those places that you can't get out of your mind...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2013

So you're looking for some place to grab a bite. You're not starving, but good food is still most important. Of course, that great food must be accompanied by a hand picked glass of wine. And then, there's that local food aspect. Oh, yeah, I'm over spending a days worth of pay on one regular evening out. Aha! I found it. The Tapateria in Old Colorado City.

Try the bison carpaccio with the mushroom toast. And make sure you ask Jay to recommend the wine!

I love the place!