Howard Johnson Express Inn - Colorado Springs
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Norm M

Reviewed September 6, 2013

We stayed here first part of June with our grandkids. First room was to be a nonsmoking, no such luck, had to move to another one, little better but the room felt like it had never been cleaned and smelled old and musty. If it hadnt been so late we would have left. Told the kids to keep shoes on because carpet was filthy. Very disappointed in HJ. Not a good neighborhood either, scarry. Wont be staying at this brand any time soon.

Room Tip: Dont go here the reviews say it all.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Beverly S
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Room was dirty. Carpet looked like it was never cleaned for a long time.
Breakfast was lacking in quantity and quality. Staff not helpful. Room smelled smoky even thought it was marked as non-smoking room. TV was not working well. Usually stayed at another HoJo but it was full, HoJo rep. recommended this one.

3  Thank BH62013

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Jane T

1  Thank Leonid M
Reviewed September 1, 2013

This was the second time I am staying at this hotel with my family in less than two months. Like my first experience, our stay was pleasant and peaceful. When we arrived at the hotel and checked in, I was shocked as the receptionist said I had made two bookings while in fact I made just one! Later, she clarified that while I had made a booking for one room with two queen size bed for four people, they had provided two rooms with king size bed. And yes, they gave the second room for free.

Room Tip: Ask for room no. 227 if available, and you get to treat yourself with a splendid view of the Rockies...
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Do not stay here. It is the worst place I have ever stayed.This motel is a dump and absolutely has bed bugs!

On 8/22/13 I reserved a room at this location through expedia. I live in Woodland Park and was stranded in the Springs after rain and flooding closed the pass. Upon arrival I was told the room I reserved(#215)had a roof leak so they were moving me to #216. After lying in bed for approx 15 min. I noticed a bug crawling across the book I was reading. I got up immediately and inspected the rest of the bed and quickly found multiple others that were definitely bed bugs! I left right away and was told to call back in the morning to discuss reimbursement. After an hour on the phone with both the motel and Expedia I was denied a full refund. The Expedia supervisorn said she even spoke with the manager Paul directly and he refused to authorize a refund. Expedia issued me a $100 coupon in lieu of a refund but I am disgusted that the manager of the Howard Johnson Express, Paul, did not take responsibility. He told the expedia supervisor his maintenance crew couldn't locate any bed bugs. I very much doubt it was even inspected as the room condition in general was quite bad. Overall, I am deeply frustrated with the way Howard Johson Express handled the issue and didn't take ownership of the problem at all.

In addition to the bed bugs there overall state of the room and motel was quite gross - also found hair in the sheets, night stand had sticky cup ring stains all over it and it smelled terrible - actually brought in my air freshner from my car and clipped to the AC. There was gum stuck to the top of the lamp and it was obvious it hadn't been cleaned well in a long time.

The neighborhood isn't great and it was very loud the entire time I was ther from about 11:15 pm to 12:30 am.

I was just needing a place to stay with a bed and shower for about 8 hours and couldn't have been more disgusted or frustrated with the way the issue was handled.

Don't risk it and stay here because of the cheap price - you really do get what you pay for! I took photos of the bed bugs and have reported this to the BBB, bedbugregistry.com, and the Howard Johnson headquarter website

I will never stay at another Howard Johnson ever again!

The woman at the front desk seemed sincere in her apology when I checked out after only an hour there but the manger wouldn't speak with me directly. Upper managment (Mgr. name is Paul, supervisor was Julie) seemed not to care at all and took no responsibility whatsoever.

The only positive out of this is my experience with Expedia, I spoke with 2 different associates and 1 supervisor all were very nice and helpful. At first they only wanted to give me a $25 coupon in lieu of refund but I absolutely refused and the supervisor issued $100 coupon. It's still not ideal and makes me extremely angry that Howard Johnson didn't take ownership of the problem.

Room Tip: Do not sleep in room 216!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business