“Beautiful place for a wedding reception” 5 of 5 bubbles

Fee: Yes
Waverly, Iowa, United States
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Beautiful place for a wedding reception”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013

I did attend a wedding reception here, and may I say they do a perfect job for the bride and groom. The food was fabulous: Prime Rib, salmon, rice pilaf, au gratin potatoes, fresh vegetable medley, crisp salad. The bride and groom did not have a wedding party table which keeps the newly weds unable to get into each other in their first hours of married bliss. Patty Jewett offered them a romantic table for two in front of the fabulous fireplace and all of the guests and wedding party could choose where to sit. It was the best reception I have attended ever.

Now, if you just come to golf, then enjoy the beautiful grounds as you putt your way across the green.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank BarbaraNelson

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Old Faithful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

This is the oldest golf course west of the Mississippi. Built by General Palmer it is, in my opinion, the best public golf course I have ever played. Fees are very reasonable and you can get on without a lot of hassle.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Dharma49
71 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 215 helpful votes
“Many top notch areas, but...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

I saw enough good things about Patty Jewett that I really wanted to give it five stars. For example, the way the daily pin placement is printed on the scorecards is pure genius--every course should pick up on this. I also much like the fact they added additional tees to help the shorter hitters. They could use a few more, though because holes 7, 8 and 18 are still too long for us old guys (and a lot of younger guys, too). But I did appreciate that at least every tee was placed on the proper box. Many courses move them up to speed up play or sometimes move the shorter tees farther back than the scorecard indicates. When this happens it takes away the choice of the player to play the distance he would like to play. So a good plus for Patty Jewett. The fact they have electric carts instead of gas is also a nice plus. The grill is quite good, too, with a decent menu, good prices, and good service. But now the things that detract: First of all they don't have room for a driving range so you can only hit off mats. Many golfers, including me, think this is not good for your golf swing. It may not be Patty Jewett's fault that they don't have the room but it's a defect nonetheless. I agree with another reviewer that the starters can be a pain. Many times they make me feel like they are doing me a favor by letting me play--just as long as I do what they say, etc. Not a pleasant way to start a round when that happens. The really bad mark I have against Patty Jewett is the favoritism shown to certain regulars. My friend had called the day before you can get tee times and was told there were three tee times available before 7 a.m. and those times would go to the first three people in line the next morning. My friend got to the course at 5:05 a.m. (it opens at 6:30) to insure he was first. Indeed he was first in line. He was given a 7:15 tee time. He explained the situation and was then told he could go at 7:00. Those earlier tee times had been penciled in for "friends" or "regulars" or whatever. I won't go into the long story about how I know that but, trust me, I do. For a city golf course this is inexcusable. They passed out information that wasn't true (i.e., the early times had already been set aside for someone), then told an untruth as to what had happened. We've always known this sort of thing goes on regularly at Patty Jewett but that doesn't make it right. So I had to downgrade them to a three as this experience (and the attitudes of some of the starters) makes me want to play other courses. I don't like baloney.

Visited July 2013
3 Thank ArtColorado
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Home of the longest round of golf in North America”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

If you are looking for a five and a half to six and a half round of golf, this is the place. Consistently the slowest playing golf course I've ever played. No marshaling to speed play. The marshals are just used for social visits. The people who play here have absolutely no consideration for other players. I like the course. And they keep it in pretty good shape, but you better want to spend an entire day there if you play. This could be a first class facility if they taught people or reminded people about golf etiquette and kept the rounds to four to four and a half hours

Visited June 2013
Wiesbaden, Germany
54 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“Great golf course!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

I grew up on this golf course. Great for different skill sets, and the staff is really wonderful. Great location, and I like the difficulty of the course (just in the middle).

Visited November 2012