“Hmmm...”

Hilton Garden Inn Colorado Springs
Ranked #21 of 104 Hotels in Colorado Springs
Reviewed November 15, 2013

I arrived at around 10 pm. Then I stood in the air lock along with another customer and a pizza delivery guy for 20 minutes while we waited for someone to answer the phone and let us in the hotel. Hey - at least they were friendly. Once in the door, the first thing I notice is the smell---rancid grease. There apparently is some sort of grill/restaurant right in the front that makes the whole place smell. At the front desk, the woman asked, "Is there something I can do for you?" Well...not to be difficult, but it's after 10 pm, I'm standing at a hotel front desk with a giant suitcase and a briefcase in hand. I wasn't there to clean the carpets. For five minutes, she attempted to find my reservation. Apparently unable to read the name on my credit card, she attempted four improvised versions of my last name and kept assuring me I was not in the system. She didn't wish to see my confirmation email on my iphone for help.

Later that evening, I realized there is no hair dryer in my room. I looked everywhere! Since I have waist length thick hair, I'm starting to get concerned about how I'm going to get ready for my business meeting in the morning. I called the front desk where a gentleman told me, "They're under the sink." I assured him there was nothing under the sink, hanging from the bathroom door, in the closet or in the bar. He then offered to come to my room to show me where the hair dryer is. Hmmm...I'm pretty sure I've done a thorough search. He is not willing to send a hair dryer up.

I sit on the end of the bed to ponder my situation and, OMG, the other end of the bed flies up in the air dumping me off the bed. I resolve to sleep very carefully so as not to be catapulted out of the bed again. Speaking of the bed, tattered ratty looking bedding.

The next morning, I called the desk again hoping to get a different staff person. Nope. Same guy. I asked him to please have a hair dryer sent up to my room. With a very loud, very long sigh, he said he thought he could do that. Exasperated at this point, I said, "Knock yourself out. Thanks." The hair dryer arrived a few minutes later.

That night, after a long day on my feet, I decide to take a hot bath. Not happening. Apparently the drain closure thing-a-ma-jig is broken. I tried it up, down, sideways, in the middle, left, right, etc. I even texted my husband to see if he had any ideas. When I notified the front desk the next morning, they said they'd try to have maintenance look at it the next day. Apparently, there just wasn't time today, but great news...there'll be someone available next week.

I don't recommend this hotel. It seems very low quality for a Hilton chain. They don't even have PPV movies. Oh, and best part of the whole trip? whiskers in the bathroom sink...eeewww

Room Tip: Ask for a Pikes Peak view. Check your room over carefully before unpacking
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
SPRINGS_HGI_GM, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Colorado Springs, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write such an extensive review. I am so sorry that you experienced so many challenges during your visit with us. Unfortunately I am unable to look up any information regarding your stay or room as Trip Advisor is anonymous. I would certainly love to discuss this visit with you when/if you have time. Please feel free to contact me at the hotel.

Reviewed November 15, 2013

As the title of my review says, I think it's a good hotel for the most part, but it stumbles in one major area: The quietness of the rooms. I'm not talking about exterior noise-I think the surrounding area was quiet, but I'm also saying that with the qualifier that we were on the side of the hotel that was farthest from the main road. I'm talking about easily heard noise from adjoining rooms and air conditioner/heater noise. There are thin walls and the rooms were equipped with one of those loud wall unit type heater/air conditioner units, which we had to turn off at night so that it wouldn't kick on and continually wake us up. This could really be an issue when the temperature really drops and you really need that heater. We were lucky on this trip in that the weather was unseasonably warm throughout our stay. I thought the buffet/cooked to order breakfast was very good and the serving staff and chef were outstanding. All of the other staff were equally outstanding and very friendly. The location on Briargate Parkway was good, but sometimes it was very difficult/dangerous to turn left from the hotel since there is no traffic signal and Briargate is a major street (six lanes wide at that point if I recall correctly). This depended on what time of day it was. One plus was that there is a retail center directly across from the hotel with restaurants, a Starbucks, and a number of retailers, but again, you have to negotiate busy Briargate Parkway to shoot across to it. Another issue that we had was with the pillows, which actually our entire group commented on (we had booked 5 rooms for a wedding that we attended). Everyone had issues with the comfort of the pillows. One was not enough, two was too thick. I think that they were too soft? Anyway, Those are the reasons for the non-excellent ratings in those categories. Would I stay here again? I think the noise and pillows would give me pause.....

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Thank you for the review and for filling out the SALT survey through the Hilton system. Again, I do apologize for the noise and distraction.

As I mentioned in our other correspondence, please feel free to ask for an alternate pillow type during any future visit and we will try finding something more accommodating.

Thank you for deciding to host the wedding rooms with us!

Reviewed November 13, 2013

When we arrived and checked in , we found our room to be clean but disheveled, all the doors, cabinet drawers and chair cushions were open as if they had been recently cleaned. The front desk called to inquire about the condition of our room and after commenting on the condition, the housekeeping supervisor arrived at our door within minutes to explain the room had been cleaned but not inspected, apologies were made and she departed. We later discovered the coffee maker was inoperative and the desk lamp burned out, these were replaced after notifying the front desk. Overall the hotel is new, very clean and within close proximity to the airport. However due to the remoteness of the airport from the city center a vehicle is necessary to travel to the closest shopping, food etc. The staff was very friendly and took care of our needs.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

I wanted to thank you for filling out a review on Trip Advisor. Unfortunately, this ended up on the page for the Hilton Garden Inn on the north side of town close to the Air Force Academy and not the airport property. As I know the General Manager there, I will be happy to pass on your feedback to her.

Reviewed November 12, 2013

This was a wonderful hotel. It was clean, friendly and met all of our needs. The rooms were so comfortable and warm. The coffee was great and I would recommend the Hilton Garden Inn to anyone that wants to get away and have a relaxing night away from home.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Thank you so much for the Trip Advisor review. I am pleased to see you found the hotel clean and inviting!

We certainly hope you will stay with us again.

Reviewed November 1, 2013

Our family of 4 went for a football weekend to Colorado Springs. Very clean hotel located in an awesome area close to fwy & academy. The staff was wonderful. The cleaning staff was so thoughful they even made our daughters crib everyday. Kids loved the pool. Overall wonderful hotel and would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn
SPRINGS_HGI_GM, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Colorado Springs, responded to this reviewResponded November 3, 2013

Thank you for the fantastic review on Trip Advisor! We certainly hope to have you come back to stay with us again!

Reviewed October 30, 2013

No complimentary breakfast, no wifi service in room, sheets were as course as sand-paper, too expensive for poor value. Would not recommend, better value at super 8 or motel 6, at least you won't have an unmet expectation, the Hilton brand is not what it once was, trashy like Paris Hilton, guess their service runs in the family.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn
SPRINGS_HGI_GM, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Colorado Springs, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2013

Thank you for allowing your feedback to post to Trip Advisor. We do find these reviews very valuable.

I apologize that the rate was a bit higher during the Air Force Academy and Notre Dame Football game weekend. It is certainly a very high demand time for our market and there was limited availability.

Unfortunately, Hilton Garden Inn brand does not offer a complimentary breakfast but we do offer a couple of rate plans that offer the Full Cooked to Order Breakfast within the rate. Specifically, our Bed and Breakfast package includes breakfast at 50% off the $9.95 per person rate.

As I mentioned in my email to you, we were unable to find a record of a previous stay to complete any research. Please do contact us so we can attempt to respond to the concerns you had brought up after you departed. we certainly do not want our guests to have a poor experience while staying with us.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Reviewed October 27, 2013

We stayed the weekend for a visit to the Air Force academy - a Notre Dame Air Force game.
It was perfectly located near 25 with great views of Pikes Peak. The staff was extremely friendly and willing to help. The breakfast was $10 with fresh fruit, eggs/omelettes made to order, all you could eat. There are plenty attractions in the area- Garden of the Gods and Royal Gorge Railroad. Definitely recommend it.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for the Trip Advisor review! I am so pleased that you enjoyed the hotel while you were here for such a fantastic event! We really enjoyed all of the activities during the Air Force and Notre Dame game.

We certainly hope to have you as our guest again!