“Stay away or you will be unhappy!”

Clarion Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #55 of 105 Hotels in Colorado Springs
San Juan Capistrano, California
“Stay away or you will be unhappy!”
Reviewed April 30, 2012

I booked the Clarion based on other reviews, the three star rating and the decieving pictures. First of all the staff was the most complacent and apathetic collection of people I have ever run accross in any business. The construction was just super cheapo and the materiels must have been used when they arrived. We booked 4 nights stay and after one very sleepless night on a miserable plank of a bed resulting in a very stiff back and neck we decided to check out. The General Manager checked us out and didn't even ask why we were leaving early. He stated that we would be credited our balance and we are now in a fight with Clarion, Expedia and Kyak for a refund. Not one of these people will take responsibiity for giving us this bum steer! I wouldn't recommend this place if it were free!! Stay away.

Room Tip: Don't rely on ratings that Expedia puts out. Also, go a grade higher than what makes sense for...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
ClarionManagement, General Manager at Clarion Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, May 9, 2012
I'm sorry that you were not happy with the beds. We have been in the process of replacing some of our beds with new ones. I'm sorry that you didn't let me know what the issue was, We would have been happy to move you to a different room or possibly replace your bed. Since you paid through Expedia, it's them that billed your credit card not the hotel. we actually bill Expedia. So we are not able to credit your card.
We would love the opportunity to show you that what you experienced is not typical of the hotel. Please give me a call at the hotel so we can book your next stay at our hotel.
Taves

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Casper, Wyoming
Reviewed April 23, 2012

I booked the in-room hot tub suite hoping for some nice relaxation after attending classes at University of the Rockies. The location for those classes was excellent. The relaxation - not so much. Conversation in the next room, set up as a connecting room, was clearly heard. The stairs at that end of the hall ended up on a fire escape to get outside, and scraped metal on metal to open and close, heard throughout the night. The hot tub faucet was very slow flowing, taking almost 45 minutes to fill above the jets. By the time the tub was full enough, the water had cooled considerably, and the water was tepid, at best. The room was a little dank smelling, but not from a particular source. The bed was comfortable, with nice bedding. Several light bulbs in the ceiling over the tub were burned out. The shower door would not close properly. The shower head dripped constantly, and loudly, I might add. I didn't partake of the breakfast so I can't speak to that. The room was nicely equipped with a small fridge, and microwave, which was nice for a stay of any length. The hotel is easy to get to off the highway. Will I stay there again in August for more classes? Not too sure at this point in time.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these Colorado Springs hotels

Austin, Texas
Reviewed March 23, 2012

We visited the Clarion on a trip to Colorado Springs with a lacrosse team. The service from the front desk was very good. The room had a refrigerator and a microwave as well as a love seat that folded out into a bed. Breakfast was complimenatry and included hot options as well as fruit, hard boiled eggs various toast and pastry options. The hotel is located very close to Colorado College, old town and downtown Colorado Springs. The price was good and the amenities were nice. The pool is good sized and the exercise room is adequate. There is a running trail along the river and it is a mile run to Colorado College if you use the pedestrian overpass. If there was one concern it might be the layout of the hotel's stairways in that they don't all lead conveniently to an exit. We enjoyed the hotel and the hospitality of their staff. I would come back!

Room Tip: The courtyard is nice with tall pine trees. I would stay away from the first floor and they tend to...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Leeds
Reviewed March 6, 2012

The Clarion seems to have merged with the Quality Inn next door so that the two have a greater range of services than either separately. The result is a larger than average breakfast area with enough tables, even at busy times (and a cooked breakfast that, again, is better than average). The only downside is that the hotel corridors are long and complicated, and every door leading outside seemed to have four or five steps; an older gentleman I met, who needed a walker, found this slightly inconvenient. The beds were comfortable; the room had a fridge and microwave; the internet worked. The bathroom reflected its age in being fairly small (though not tiny) but here, as throughout the hotel as far as I could see, everything was clean and well kept up. A word on location: the Clarion is right by Interstate 25 but seemed to be well soundproofed, as I was never aware of the traffic. It's five minutes on foot to the commercial centre, which doesn't close down at 6 pm but actually seems alive, with its restaurants and microbrew pubs worth exploring. (There is, though, a Denny's right across from the hotel if that's more convenient.) Colorado College is a brisk but agreeable 20-minute walk from the Clarion. I'd certainly stay here again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank botafogoblogger
Pueblo West, Colorado
Reviewed February 27, 2012

I guess for downtown Colorado Springs...the price was okay; however, they neglected to provide the requested (twice) wake-up call, and there was no rubber mat for the shower and it was dangerous. My fiancee had an important Dr's appointment at 8 AM and I am glad I woke up in time without the wake-up call, or it would have been a disaster. I intended to report this to the front desk...however, staff was on telephone and we needed to leave. Decor is rather dated. Highlight of the visit was a hot breakfast included with the room.

Room Tip: 1st floor room had a sliding door to a Gazebo area..okay if you are a smoker, but you might want a s...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Berkeley, California
Reviewed February 7, 2012

My boyfriend and I needed a place to stay for a night in Colorado Springs, and we made the right choice with the Clarion Hotel. From the manager's reception to walking downtown for dinner to the jacuzzi, we were impressed by the friendliness and depth of the service and facilities. The price was exactly what we were looking for as well.

Would definitely stay here again next time we're in Colorado Springs!

Thank you!

Alli and Dave

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed January 27, 2012

My daughter and I had a bad experience with a recent stay. First, the room heater was very noisy and kept coming on at night even when the fan was set to "off." Maintenance had to come the next day and unplug it. The hot tub was cold--front desk said to try back in an hour but several hours later it was still cold. We had a 6:00 am flight out and never got the wakeup call we requested (luckily we used my phone alarm as a backup). The morning of check out, no one answered the front desk phone and I couldn't find anyone at the desk to give us our invoice, even though I waited for a while. But the worst part is they accused my daughter and me of dismantling a TV mount and charged us an extra $50. We didn't touch the TV--if something was dismantled, it happened before we arrived. But the manager was not at all helpful and would not even consider reversing the extra charge. I do not recommend the place.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family