“Welcome Home”
Review of Dat's Italian

Dat's Italian
Reserve with OpenTable
Dat's Italian is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #67 of 1,448 Restaurants in Colorado Springs
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
“Welcome Home”
Reviewed April 3, 2013

What a wonderful find on the West Side! Dennis and JoAnn are amazingly gracious hosts and the food is definitely made with love. I went to a wine dinner there where DAT's teamed up with Queen Liquor and it was such a fun experience! Very relaxed and friendly. The fact that JoAnn took a moment to ask for prayers for a toddler she knew that was dying of cancer and thank all her staff was so heart warming. The place is VERY kid friendly and they have great daily specials. Beautiful, Beautiful food. Good drinks too. Try the Italian Valium, it'll make any bad day fade away. This is a great example of a small business that is very LOCAL and very into COMMUNITY. Try them out. You won't be disappointed.

• Visited March 2013

Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Must-Try Italian!”
Reviewed March 3, 2013

This small Italian restaurant sits right across the street from another good one (Pizzeria Rustica) in Old Colorado City, but more than holds its own. The atmosphere is nice and the tables aren’t jammed together as is so often the case in small, family restaurants. The service is personal and not the least bit stuffy. The food is excellent, and is (don’t tell the owners this) underpriced for what you get. They could easily charge another couple of dollars per entrée and still present a bargain. As a bit of constructive criticism, we were disappointed that the cappuccino machine was inoperative, and that their house-made mozzarella wasn’t yet ready. But other than that, we really enjoyed the dinner and service (props to Mitch), and we’ll definitely be back.

• Visited January 2013
Carlisle, Pennsylvania
“We felt like we were back in Europe”
Reviewed February 27, 2013

While living in Europe for a few years, we had a favorite Italian trattoria where the owner knew us by name and was always giving us gifts to thank us for our patronage. Also, the food was first-rate.
Entering Dat's Italian, I instantly felt as if we were back at that trattoria. We were welcomed so warmly by the owner, who made a fuss over my husband for his birthday dinner. The service was very polite, but personal as well. The restaurant is tiny but charming, with a tasteful mural on one wall and little touches that remind you it is a place the family puts their heart & soul into running. The menu is not extensive, but everyone in our group easily found meals they wanted to try- most of us wanted to try more than one. We sampled the caprese salad, which features house-made mozzarella. It was not the best handmade mozzarella I've had, but it was the best I've had outside of Europe. Our meals took a little while to come, but we didn't mind as it gave us time to enjoy conversation and the delicious wine and mixed drinks a few had ordered. When the food arrived, we could easily see why it would take a little while to come out- each dish was beautifully presented and was fresh, hearty, and delicious. I tried the White Truffle pasta which features house-made fresh pasta, and it was absolutely beautifully made. Worth every penny paid! My husband raved about the chicken carbonara, and a friend adored the pasta with clams in a white wine sauce. Even our son was thrilled to have spaghetti marinara with a moist and flavorful meatball, which I couldn't help but sample. And we all enjoyed the warm, fragrant dinner rolls that accompanied our meals. My husband's birthday desert was a slice of the cathedral cake, which we all happily helped him to eat- it was heaven, truly.
We had a Living Social coupon, which was the reason we decided to try Dat's Italian, and our bill was extremely reasonable even before the coupon was factored in. If I had to say anything negative, it might be the wait for the meal- I can imagine that if the restaurant were very busy, it might take a long time to be served. But then again, part of the experience at Dat's Italian is enjoying the company you've come with and interacting with the friendly family who owns & operates this restaurant. We will definitely be returning, especially in the spring and summer to enjoy the outdoor seating.

Tip- free public parking is adjacent to the back of the restaurant.

• Visited February 2013
“Affordable, but not my preference!”
Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

We tried Dat's Italian because they advertised that they were a family restaurant with authentic Italian family recipes. When we first walked in, the set-up was a bit cramped and noisy. I felt a little bit claustrophobic! They did have live music which was fun and upbeat. Our waiter was excellent--very friendly and prompt. Prices were very affordable for the quality of meal. My only hang up is that I do not care for fennel seed and their meatballs were chocked full of it! Their fennel and pine nuts meatballs is their claim to fame and, while I love pine nuts, I just can't do the fennel. It's just not my preferred style of Italian!

Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Delicious Homemade Food”
Reviewed February 19, 2013

I like that they advertise that the recipes they use were handed down several generations. The prices are reasonable and for the money, much better than a generic place like the Olive Garden. Our waiter was tops and enticed us into a desert even though we didn't plan on having one (still don't know how he did that). Next time you think "italian" for dinner, skip the generic and go authentic. Also, kids eat free on certain days so it's even better for your wallet.

Visited February 2013