“Excellent experience!”

Old Stage Riding Stables
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Guided mountain horseback trail rides in the Pike National Forest far from city streets 20 minutes (5.8 miles) up historic Old Stage Road. Scenic and wildlife tours, special children's rides, wagon rides and group activities. Mountain cabin rentals. Snacks and drinks for sale.
Reviewed August 15, 2014

The drive to the Broadmoor Stables takes you on a long windy dirt road up a mountain. It is completely worth it to be able to get away from the busyness of the city. All of the staff we encountered were extremely nice and helpful. It was my husband and I and our 4 children on the trip. The kids ranged in ages from 8-18. They all had a wonderful experience and I always felt that they were safe. We have gone on horseback rides on several different vacations and this was one of the best!

Reviewed July 18, 2014

While in Colorado Springs for a week-long family reunion our son booked a trail ride for eight of us at the Stables at the Broadmoor. It was a great experience. This place is halfway up the mountain in a remote area, which made the trails fun for us, but it was difficult to get there. In fact, the last five miles of grave road are not even open to the public. There was a lock on the gate, but the owner gave us the combination when we made the reservation. Our Google Maps program was very confused and we should have followed the written instructions given by the owner.

Once we arrived at the Stables, however, it was a first class customer experience. Even the sign off on the Waivers form was well executed with soft lounge chairs for our use to fill out those pesky forms. Helmets were provided for everyone, although not required. There were plenty of ranch hands to get our group up and mounted in a short time, followed by clear instructions as to how to handle our horses. We had experienced riders and novice riders in our group, but everyone had an enjoyable time riding through the Rockies, with one guide leading the way and another guide bringing up the rear. The horses were well mannered and we never felt in danger in any way. The owner was very clear that our guides were compensated via tips, so there was no confusion when we went to pay. We have been on other trail rides in the Colorado Springs area, but this one was the best by far.

3  Thank jsyverson
Reviewed July 6, 2014

This family run business is a class act. From the time I called to ask questions and make my reservations to the time we drove off the property we were treated with respect, kindness, and professionalism.

We visited over the July 4th weekend and took the one hour trail ride. The guides were all extremely nice and ensured that we were comfortable upon our horse (we were totally inexperienced) and answered all questions. I felt completely at ease and safe during the enjoyable ride through the forest. One thing I might add is to wear long jeans. We wore shorts and were completely comfortable but I can see how others might not like getting their legs scraped against the trees and brush along the trail.

You won't catch any breathtaking visa views on the one hour trail, but you sure will on the drive up. The drive to the stables was very nice and a lot easier than I thought. Scenic, but definitely not a white knuckle drive.

If your thinking about visiting, I would highly recommend doing so.

1  Thank Greg S
Reviewed July 2, 2014

The drive up the mountain is of ours a treat in itself. But the moment you arrive at the stables, you are greeted by the family, warm, gracious, and accommodating. The stables are well maintained. The horses are well groomed, cared for and trained. They match you with your ability, and they were spot on. Both guides were informative, interesting and fun along the way. It's a real treat as you never feel like you are so close to civilization. We just wish it lasted longer. We also would recommend that they have some sort of a 30 minute prep-class for older children, to keep them interested more - grooming, etc. But overall a wonderful experience.

1  Thank David P
Reviewed June 28, 2014

First of all the views just driving here were stunning!! This was the second time that me and my sons have been on horses, however, this was the first time that my youngest who is 7 yo rode a horse unassisted. The facility is nicely kept and the horses were very friendly. We took the one hour trail ride and it was very nice. The staff were very friendly and I felt that my family and I were safe with them. I could not have asked for anything nicer and the prices were very affordable. I highly recommend them.