“Great clean place and great price. Wonderful people at desk.”

Rainbow Motel Colorado Springs
Ranked #49 of 105 Hotels in Colorado Springs
Wichita
“Great clean place and great price. Wonderful people at desk.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2010

My husband and I stayed here about 6 years ago and thought then that the owners were nice. We vacationed in Colorado Springs again and stayed once again here. Very clean and quiet. Big rooms and a great price. Conveniently located to all tourists sites. Would highly recommend the Rainbow Hotel.TVellez Wichita Kansas

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank tvellez

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
San Diego, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2010

Before booking, I read reviews from July & earlier, posted on this site. I knew this was going to be a "down home" sort of place, and when you are dealing with any family business, you never quite know what you are going to get. I was encouraged by an "85%" positive rating (at the time) and its location, so I booked a (King/Queen) room for myself, my husband, and two 10 year olds. We were looking for a simple place to stay for a few days and all the chain hotels were on the other side of Colorado Springs. The motel had a pool, wi-fi, and a great location close to the places we wanted to visit.

The motel is very close to both a major highway (in the rear) and a main road (in the front). There is quite a bit of traffic.. The road is lined with dozens of old fashioned 1 story tiny motels (20 rooms or fewer), including a few motels where each lodging was a mini-cabin or min-log cabin. The motels look to be from the 1950s, few of them appear to have received regular maintenance, many have dirt or gravel driveways, and if there were trailer parks tucked in here & there, I would not be surprised. The nearby shops include a marijuana store, a few discount cigarette outlets, a used book store. You are not in a good section of town when these stores have the prime real estate locations, but the area was perfectly safe, just "down on its luck".

I know these comments sound as if I'm a complete snob, and perhaps I am, yet I guess I am spoiled with "Hampton Inn" type hotels, which most people would not describe as luxury lodgings. Driving by the other motels, my husband and I looked at each other and laughed, realizing this would be different, but still felt open minded about our choice, yet when we drove into the Rainbow....I was tempted to drive right out the circular driveway. We did not, because it had gotten good reviews, and although it might be a bit different than where we usually stay, we put a good spin on it and tried to enjoy staying somewhere a bit quirky.

We stayed for 4 nights in the spacious room that we had booked, no problems with registration, no parking problems, no noise from the road. The room was clean, came with a fridge & microwave, beds comfortable. My children enjoyed the pool and I enjoyed the tables & chairs around it...it is right on the main road, but kids do not care about that. The owners were friendly, and responded immediately when there was a noise problem from another room. Yet...everything was worn, and the whole time there I expected things not to work. Despite the sign out front and despite my earlier inquiry, there was no workable wi-fi, which is one of the reasons we chose this motel. There was a computer in the lobby for guest use, but that is not the same as advertising that there is wi-fi in the rooms.

The recent review that referred to the bathroom's logistics---no place to put a makeup bag or anything more than a toothbrush, no working electrical socket for a hair dryer brought from home, no shampoo, the bars of soap were replaced only if requested, the room was very dark, and one lamp did not work--I agree with recent reviews that expressed dissatisfaction. The breakfast, described modestly by the hotel, was extremely modest. The cocoa DID taste like coffee (as stated in an earlier review), and really was not much more than toast and some cereal. The overall feeling was, like the town, things were safe, adequate...but just barely acceptable.

All that being said,, there is not a good option on the Manitou Springs side of Colorado City. The Garden of the Gods, the Rock Ledge Historic Site, the Cliff Dwellings, the quaint downtown of both Colorado City and Manitou Springs are only a few miles away. It would have been inconvenient to drive from across town each day. So despite its limitations, I would return, with lower expectations, to the Rainbow---or I would use google maps to investigate the name of the 1 chain hotel that was down the street and consider that as an alternative (Comfort Inn?).

4 Thank SuzieeQQ
Renton, Washington
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2010

Upon arrival found out room that was originally booked was no longer available. Was given a smoking room with small bathroom that smelled like the sewer. Bed was uncomfortable as well as the pillows, they seemed very old and hard. Kitchen was usable but needed maintainence. Pool was nice but motel rests on very busy street so that made it hard to relax. Breakfast was alright, could have used wheat bread and cold milk for cereal. Place was very noisy with owners friends or relatives that acted like they owned the place running up and down the parking area in the middle of the night and playing loud music. Overall I would not recommend this place to anyone that I cared for.

6 Thank Virgo0912
seattle
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2010

Began making plans for family reunion (January 2010) booked 5 rooms for August 2010. The rooms booked were non-smoking and had kitchens.,,needed for reunion. Upon checking in only 2 of the previously verified rooms were available. Called 2 weeks prior of arrival to once again make sure we were getting rooms booked 7 months before. One room was perfumed so heavily to mask the smoke smell, the guests had to move to another hotel....we stayed for a week. At first it was nice to sit at tables outside our room until friends of the proprietors showed up and took over the grounds with no respect for the paying guests. The friends were put in the non-smoking rooms we had booked and they smoked continously, we couldn't even sit in our room with the door open with all the smoke coming through the door. As for housekeeping there was little to speak of, we had to ask for clean towels and the sheets on our bed were never changed nor was the bed made up but only twice out of 8 days. The pillows were stained and hard...not sure what they were stuffed with...don't forget to bring your own shampoo. It is unfortunate that what could have been the perfect place to stay turned out to be a haven for the disrespectful friends of the owners blaring loud music and running around the compound with no respect for the motel guests. The only good thing was the location...close to everything.

6 Thank dmacd1
Hartland, WI
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2010

I chose this motel for our recent 3 night stay in Colorado Springs, based on the other favorable reviews I read. We were a little disappointed. I pictured a large grassy pool area--maybe a central courtyard--that would be enjoyable to lounge in. The website talked about the motel specializing in family reunions. Unfortunately, the pool is right along the busy road/sidewalk. The road is pretty busy and loud....not what I pictured.

The neighborhood is not what I pictured, either. There are many older motels up and down the street. It is pretty close to the nicer Manitou Springs downtown, but not really close enough to walk.

We were also given a room in the back section, where the building exterior and blacktop driveway is in pretty bad shape. The buildings in the front are maintained much nicer.

The interior of our room was pretty nice and updated. My only complaint was with the bathroom, which only had a small standalone sink inside the bathroom. There was no counter space at all to put toiletries--basically you had to balance things on a 2 inch edge of the sink itself.

The continental breakfast was just ok. My kids were disappointed because the hot chocolate tasted like coffee. (I think it was prepared in a container previously used for coffee...)

We had DirectTV, but no movie channels and no ability to purchase movies. No WiFi either. For the price, these would have been good features to have.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
4 Thank Jacqui33
fort worth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2010

Stayed here 4 days, we arrived late and when I called to notify them of our late arrival, she told us with the utmost heartfelt "what is important is that you get here safely." They do whatever they can to make your stay enjoyable. This is TOTALLY a family friendly hotel also, with a nice pool and fenced in play area for smaller children, the picnic area was wonderful also with built in fire pits. This motel is centrally located from everything! My husband already have made arrangements to come back later this year by ourselves. I would certainly stay here again and again!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank lisajarrett
Stillwater, Oklahoma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2010

The Rainbow is an older motel, just like most of the hotel/motels in the area. I spent one week in a king room. The room was clean and well maintained with a larger than expected bathroom and covered parking space.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Colorado Springs
Quality Inn & Suites, Garden of the Gods
Quality Inn & Suites, Garden of ...
#44 of 105 in Colorado Springs
#9 of 10 in Manitou Springs
Garden of the Gods Motel
Garden of the Gods Motel
#60 of 105 in Colorado Springs

Been to Rainbow Motel Colorado Springs? Share your experiences!