“A little Middle East in the Northeast.....”

Heart of Jerusalem Cafe
Ranked #87 of 1,430 Restaurants in Colorado Springs
Cuisines: Middle Eastern
Colorado Springs, CO
“A little Middle East in the Northeast.....”
Reviewed January 23, 2009

Downtown has plenty of authentic middle eastern food. I've even heard the area refered to as "Falafel City". Once you get to the Powers corridor, you're stuck with Kronos supplied Greek joints and a plethora of chain restaurants.

Imagine my joy when I saw that Heart of Jerusalem opened a new branch at the corner of Barnes and Austin Bluffs. And it just so happens to be a block down from Boriello Brothers first suare outside of downtown. We northeasterners had to make the 45 minute drive across town to get any decent middle eastern food...but no longer. It's right here in our own backyard.

The restaurant serves the typical menu. They offer both beef/lamb and chicken Schwarma (sorta like a Gyros, but different) babaganouj, hummus, falafel, and other great middle eastern faire. The difference is that Heart of Jerusalem is about as close to food that I've eaten many times while deployed to the middle east as you'll find. This is AUTHENTIC. We ate at Arabica and thought it was really good. The Heart of Jerusalem blows it away!

I had the chicken schwarma, falafel, and hummus. The falafel was crisp and homemade with the perfect touch of garlic. The hummus was just plain tasty. The king of the meal was the chicken schwarma. It was literally, the best sandwich I've ever had. It was moist and spiced perfectly, wrapped in an almost heavenly pita.

I rated Heart of Jerusalem with 5 ticks and it deserves every one of them.. There's a reason it's been voted #1 in the Best of the Springs surveys......because it's really, really, good.