“Hate the flies in the restaurant”

Heart of Jerusalem Cafe
Ranked #71 of 1,412 Restaurants in Colorado Springs
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Fort Carson, Colorado
“Hate the flies in the restaurant”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012

If you suffer from acid reflux or heart burn this might not be the best place to eat. It’s very grease, I actually had to use a napkins to soak some of the oil from my Gazaziki sauce. I’m not sure if the older man is the owner but I kinda of get scare of him - isn’t that crazy. There’s never a smile on him. Just yesterday my husband & had lunch there & I was surprise to see him at the register. He took our order & the lady that usually take our order came out & said to my husband “it’s nice to see you again” the man looked at her & I immediately reply “Thank you for having us” even though the greeting was not directed to me, I didn’t want her to get in trouble. I’m not sure if she’s the wife of daughter.

• Visited October 2012

Vancouver, WA
“Not to miss in Manitou Springs”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2012

My wife likes middle eastern food so I follow her where she takes me. This time was special and I already want to go back. Unfortunately it is a 1400 mile drive from home. Heart of Jerusalem in Manitou, CO was sooo good. Everything was fresh and tasty. The best middle eastern food of my experience. I would recommend to anyone. The place is modest and so are the prices.

• Visited September 2012
“Family owned, Fantastic Mediterranean Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2012

I have been coming to the Austin Bluffs location since they first opened. Would chat with Nisreen (I believe the wife) and see another man (her husband?) here and there as well. Have come to recognize the young men who are the primary workers now and while yes, it is mostly fast-foot style-ish, the food itself is wonderful. I stopped going to Greek Grill and now eat at Heart of Jerusalem. Have never been to their Manitou Springs location but wouldn't hesitate to stop by knowing it's the same owner and family run operation. I have had their beef/lamb, chicken, various sandwiches, hummus, falafel, babaganooj and my favorite, the baklava and sage hot tea for dessert. One time we were there, received the tea and baklava on the house. Have never had a bad food experience here. Highly recommended.

• Visited June 2012
Colorado
“Disappointed...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2012

The majority of our food was good. However, the tabouli was old (two of us that ate it and got really sick), and the dolma was canned, not homemade as promised. The other food was good, nothing special. However, I was not impressed with the service. I had ordered specific things, and they did not arrive. When I addressed this to the owner, he argued with me about his cost, time, etc. It was disappointing to have someone tell you that they will deliver what you ordered and then not get it. And, when they do deliver the missing items, the quality is not up to par and actually should be thrown away due to it not being fresh.

I would not return nor recommend this place.

• Visited May 2012
HOJ_Cafe, Manager at Heart of Jerusalem Cafe, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
Hello, Thanks For Your Point Of View, But We Strive To Keep Our Customers Happy. We Regret That You Had An unpleasing Experience. About The Time This Review Was Written The Old Manager Was Running Us Into The Ground. ) We Are Now Under The Original Management As Of Today ! So hopefully You Will Try Us Again. We Hopefully Look Forward To Seeing You Again.

Carl Beebe
Active Manager
Manitou Springs Location
Portland, Maine
“Simple surroundings with superb food!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2012

Order is fast food style with plastic plates etc. but the food is really excellent and we were even given tea and a tasty treat when we were finished. Service could have been better however it looked like there were only 2 people handling everything and it was getting busy when we left. Friendly place with great background music. This Grubinator will be going back.

• Visited February 2012