“Best of Both Worlds”

Challenge Unlimited
Ranked #5 of 23 Tours in Colorado Springs
More attraction details
Owner description: Take a guided bicycle tour down Pikes Peak from the summit (14,110ft.). Twenty one years in business. This ride is fun, safe, beautiful. Choice of taking the cog train or the van to the summit. All transportation, all equipment(bikes, helmets, water, all weather gear, toll and permit fees, breakfast and lunch.)
Akron
42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 69 helpful votes
“Best of Both Worlds”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

My boyfriend and I experienced the best of both worlds today. He is the experienced biker who has ascended and descended mountains, and I am the moderately adventurous, somewhat scared soccer Mom who wants to do different things but is much more conservative. I booked with CU because of the great Trip Advisor ratings. Was delighted to see their mention in the Colorado Springs tour guide magazine in my hotel. Trini was kind on the phone, and was prompt with response. The breakfast was delicious, and directions to location were exactly as mentioned. We were lucky to get Kent and Kellie as our guides. Both obvious very experienced on this mountain, and facilitating this tour. The warm clothes provided were clean. This isn't a time to worry about fashion ladies. Don't pass up the Cog train up. Just another great way to see the mountain. The views are spectacular, and at the 20 plus stops, the guides coached you down with every segment, no surprises, and great tips. There was NEVER any pressure on me to go faster, keep up with the gang, Kent patiently waited, and talked car after car after keeping safe distance and keeping us safe. He was so good at it, a car never once passed us down. Kent was an expert rider, and if the lead group wanted to go down at a skilled but fast speed, he was there, setting the pace, but providing the thrill. Gentlemen, listen to your guides, and don't get in front of them. My boyfriend was so excited when I finally gave him the nod, and when we got to the timberline, he rode at the front of the pack and kept pace behind Kent. After awhile, I hopped in the van, and enjoyed the last 5 miles in the van. Lunch was terrific, and you will never guess, who served it! Try the wine on your own, you deserve it and it was worth it. Good luck, have fun, and a huge thanks for the best touring team on Pikes Peak!

Spring, Texas
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Highlight of my vacation in Colorado!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

We chose to do this because my husband enjoys bike riding. I am a big girl and was worried about this adventure - mainly because I didnt think I could do it. Well when I say it was the highlight of my 1 week vacation there, I mean it. I got altitude sickness at the top of pikes peak (lightheaded mainly) so I rode in the van until the first stop. The staff was so friendly and helpful and never rushed me, nor did they become frustrated with me when I couldn't make it up the hills. They were patient and always encouraged me to do whatever I was comfortable with. And I did. The ride down was BREATHTAKING - both figuratively and literally :) It was just absolutely worth the money and the worrying. We have a toddler and he was able to ride in the van with grandma and that meant the world to us because we couldn't have done it had they not accomodated our unique situation. They have a guide in the front for the fast people and one in the back for the slower ones. Challenge Unlimited was beyond excellent!!! If you are "thinking about doing this", DO IT!!! You will not regret it!!!!

1 Thank Desire091180
Kiowa, Colorado, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Rude Guide”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2013

Not impressed with the attitude and manners of the guides. Got to remember that potential customers are all around you and when you are rude to 25-30 car loads of families it doesn't send a good message.

2 Thank Brian H
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“An Exciting Adventure”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

We had never been to Pikes Peak and thought a bike trip would be a great experience and we were not disappointed. First we met up with Challenge Unlimited in Colorado Spring. They were friendly, well equipped and organized. We took the Cog Rail up which was a fun and interesting way to start the journey then enjoyed a little fresh mountain air at the peak before descending on a 2 hour+ ride down the main mountain road. Since we were not experienced mountain bikers we kind of took our time while others moved ahead. The Challenge Unlimited van stayed right with us to make sure other traffic stayed clear. Frequent breaks was a good thing to shed some of the gear as the temperature warmed steadily. Not too much pedaling mostly riding the breaks. But the views were awesome and the smell of fresh mountain air was invigorating. We completed the journey at a little dinner for nice lunch (part of the package). The only surprise was at the summit when we came across a pack of AC Cobra's which had just rallied up the mountain. Very Cool.

Visited August 2012
florida
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Don't Miss It!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2012

If you're looking to do something different in Colorado Springs try Pike's Peak by Bike. They provide breakfast, bring you up to the Pike's Peak summit, supply bikes, helmets, and warm-weather gear. Heidi and Ben were our guides and they give you a complete safety run-down of their expectations and how to stay safe on the ride down. One of the guides rides in front and the van is behind all the riders. There's no time limit and you can go at your own pace. Going down you're always riding the breaks, but there are some times that you need to peddle. Our guides were fun, but no-nonsense when it came to safety. It was so much fun, very different from the usual tourist events. You become an active participant rather than just sit in the seat of a raft. At the end our package included lunch at the Wines of Colorado. We had such a fun group, great time and look forward to doing it again.

Visited September 2012