“Somewhat disappointed this trip”
Review of Carlos Bistro

Carlos Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
Carlos Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #57 of 1,495 Restaurants in Colorado Springs
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Hw 24
Reviewed November 20, 2011

Yes, Carlos is wonderful and the service is very attentive, but this is a very pricey restaurant. And my meal last week was disappointing to say the least. I had the mussels and clam linguini. The sauce had the consistency of water. Add to that the fact that the clams had more grit in them than the beach in Santa Monica. I should have mentioned it, but I didn't.

Reviewed November 14, 2011

Everything about Carlos Bistro was excellent. When my wife and I arrived it was raining and Carlos himself met my wife at the car door with an umbrella to walk her in. Talk about friendly! When we got in, we were seated immediately. We started off ordering an appetizer - the shrimp bruschetta. Neither of us had had that before, but it was excellent! For our main course my wife got the crab alfredo and I ordered the scrimp scampi. Both were good and portion sizes were filling. For dessert we got the highly recommended creme brulee and it was delicious!

Overall, Carlos Bistro was a lot pricier than anywhere we would normally go, but we were celebrating our honeymoon. It was the perfect atmosphere, the food was great and the service was unbeatable. You could tell Carlos cares about his customers and the quality of the experience there. He walked around talked to everyone about how the food was and what the occasion was for the visit. I would highly recommend Carlos Bistro!

1  Thank mjenkins724
Reviewed October 30, 2011

So the location is somewhat odd for the quality of food and service. Certainly would be nicer if the restaurant was located in the Downtown area.
What the location lacks the food and service more than make up for. We've lived in Colorado Springs for 6 years and this was our first vist to Carlos Bistro. It was at the suggestion of friends that we went.
Carlos meet us at the door and warmly welcomed us, we were seated and attended to graciously by the staff. Carlos made sure to visit us at least twice during our dinner but was never a bother.
My wife had the squash soup as a starter and the seared scallops over risotto. The scalops were perfect just enough crunch on the outside and like butter underneath...Succulent would describe them. My son had the crab cake as an appetizer and the pork chop with apple/brandy reduction. Wow that might have been the best pork ever! and the reduction was perfect. I had Oysters which were quite good considering we live in the Colorado, and the Halibut special, the fish was perfect nothing over the top just a great entry in which the fish was the star, and very nicely prepared.
The wine list is...well outside of what I'm willing to pay for a bottle of wine, I did have a glass of the house Pinot Grigio, which was very nice.
Carlos himself is a gem, you just don't find that kind of service and attention to detail in the U.S. any more. He does it right!!
All in all we had a great experience at Carlos Bistro, and will definately return. Yes, it is very expensive and I can see how a lot of people would have a hard time paying those prices for a meal...but it's worth it, at least on special occassion or if like us you are land-locked and have a need for some quality sea food.

1  Thank RatherBSkiing
Reviewed September 27, 2011

When my husband and I want a treat as a couple, or with friend's, this is where we go! The menu is diverse and all done exceptionally (with the exception of the schnitzel, but why would one want to order such a mundane food with the options Carlo's has). The martini menu will keep you happy and trying new things for multiple visits. One of us usually tries a special as they are always great! The menu is not large and the specials don't change often, but why would you when it is all done so well? Some of our favorites: the lobster salad, raw oysters on the half shell, steak tartar, tuna tartar, ribeye steak special, lamb chops, and berries w/cream. Other than the ribeye special, which is huge, portions are just right (certainly not as large as the average American restaurant).

Now, onto the critics that have criticized the aesthetics of the building… First let me say, really? You have a wonderful food experience and it is really marred by the outside of the restaurant. Not true foodies then! The building is very non-descript and in a location that seems surprising. However, what that tells you is the quality of service and food that still manages to draw plenty of business from both the Broadmoor area and downtown (we happily drive down from the Northeast side of town). As to the more informal set-up inside, it is clean and simple without being ornate. If the only way you enjoy an expensive evening out is with lots of glitz this is not the place for you!

The best part of this restaurant, Carlo's! He is a master of his profession and makes everyone feel welcome. His signature, the tie over his shoulder as he roams the room helping serve and checking on customers makes me smile every time! He is a gracious host and a big part of the reason we love to go back. This is a restaurant for people looking for a "dining experience." Yes it is pricey, but in our opinion, as foodies that love the entire concept of an evening out, well worth the treat!

1  Thank corbyandjen
Reviewed September 13, 2011

If you are a REAL foodie please skip this restaurant.
I really enjoyed our service - the owner is wonderfull, waiter was great, decor fine, but the food was below average. I had the scallop dish with safron risotto. Scalops were not seared properly, the dairy in risotto was broken and the risotto was one dimention on flavor. My husband's lamb dish was OK, but the mash potatos were way oversalted and medium-rare lamb was medium-well done. I have no issue paying 40-50 per entree, but I have expectations at that price range, which unfortunatelly this restaurant was far from meeting. The apps were good though :) and bread.

3  Thank 33evita33