“Great views!”

and up
Private Tour to Pikes Peak Garden of Gods
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: There are many things to see and do on our mountain including experiencing spectacular views as you ascend to 14,115 feet, encounter Mother Nature on our hiking trails or watch for wildlife such as deer, elk, bighorn sheep or yellow-bellied marmots. You may even spot the elusive Bigfoot during your visit. The 19 mile journey on the fully paved road to the summit begins in Cascade, Colorado, just 15 minutes west of downtown Colorado Springs. From the entrance, at an altitude of 7,800 feet (2377m) begin to explore the Pike National Forest and the natural beauty of Colorado.Along the way, you'll discover the North Slope Recreation Area, Crystal Reservoir Gift Shop, Historic Glen Cove Inn, and the Summit House. There are three lakes for fishing, picnic areas, hiking trails, and breathtaking views. Stop and watch one of our "Meet the Ranger" Interpretive Programs and learn about the history, myths, flora and fauna on the mountain. All offer visitor services and basic necessities to make your day both enjoyable and memorable.
Reviewed January 12, 2013

Very windy, so dress warm when you go in the winter. The drive up is winding but the road is wide enough and plenty of places to pull over for pictures.

1  Thank ambergil
Write a ReviewReviews (5,323)

Reviewed January 12, 2013 via mobile

My family and I visited Pikes Peak on the day before Thanksgiving (six of us, ranging in ages from 3-28). At the entrance to the Pike Peak area, one has to pay and entrance fee, which goes toward natural conservation, facilities maintenance, personnel, etc. I think it was $40 for us, but worth every bit. The U.S. Forest Service manages the land all around the peak, but the road, facilities, and stores are managed privately and by the city of Colorado Springs. Therefore, one is not able to use your National Parks Pass as you would on other national lands.

Driving as were, we enjoyed the beauty of the forests on either side of the road. It's about 20 miles from the entrance to the top of the peak, but driving up the side of a mountain takes longer than 20 miles usually would, and there are numerous toilet facilities along the way in consideration if that fact. There are also picnic areas, a nice lake, and gift shops (w/ food, drinks, and souvenirs).

Although the road itself is an adventure (especially the higher up one goes), the top of Pikes Peak was breath-taking!
What does one feel when he is at 14,110 ft, atop Pikes Peak? He feels the following: exhilarated, cold, awestruck, breathless (literally & figuratively), and so on. What incredibly beautiful, humbling handiwork of the Lord God!

By the way, the shop at the top can get really crowded when the Cog Railway passengers are there, but just wait a few minutes because they train only allows then to stay for about 30 minutes. You can shop or just catch your breathe while you wait for the lines to die down.

1  Thank gsimerson
Reviewed January 12, 2013

Literally!. We're too old for this at our age. We've been up many times in our 43 years in Colo., and until recently have done well. It's worth the trip for sure. You can see forever in all directions, and it gives you a better perspective of geography if you're a flat lander. Skip the food at the top.

Reviewed January 12, 2013

Beautiful site. 13 degrees, panoramic views, little expensive just to drive up a mountain, but is worth the effort for the experience.

Reviewed January 11, 2013

An easy and fast drive from Denver along Interstate 25 southbound, a trip to Pikes Peak is definitely worth the drive. Here's my experience.

I leave my hotel on the outskirts of Denver just past 4am for a drive south towards Colorado Springs. My trusted GPS tells me it will take a little over two hours to reach my destination which should work out perfect. I am looking forward to catching a sunrise in the high country of Colorado.

It is an easy and fast drive along Interstate 25 southbound where I discover what initially seems for me an odd geological twist. I am driving south my elevation is increasing. I have just left the “Mile High City” now I am at the “1.14299 Mile High City”, Colorado Springs.

I arrive at the gateway to my destination about 6:30am and discover a little disappointment. The toll road to Pikes Peak does not open until 9am. Unfortunately, the sun will long be risen by then. A trip to McDonald's and I enjoy the sunrise from a different perspective.

A few minutes before 9am and I am about four cars deep in line at the now open toll both. A US$10 person entrance fee and I am on my way for a 19 mile drive to about 14,000 feet.

The morning mountain air is crisp and clean. A nice compliment to the clear blue skies graced with high thin white whisper clouds. Contrasted with the bright greens of the mountainside landscape along with a few hill tops sprinkled with snow, the view is breathtaking.

As I continue my climb I make a few stops a long the way to take in magnificent and awesome views as far as the eye can see. My only limits are the cold and roaring winds that make my stops too brief. Eventually, I make it to the summit of Pikes Peak, 14,110 above sea elevation.

From above the fruited plain I am taking in a view of the border of the state of New Mexico, one hundred and twenty miles away.

I imagine it was a day like this when Katherine Lee Bates got her inspiration to write “America The Beautiful”.

Although you can visit Pikes Peak on a one way Cog Train ( http://cograilway.com) for about US$27 per person, I think coming here by car or even hiking is a much better way to do it. Driving or hiking will allow you to take in and appreciate even more the purple mountain majesties above the fruited plain.

Just one part of America that makes it beautiful from sea to shining sea.

Video:http://youtu.be/bTyx-AUA-FQ