“Not too happy”

Bird Dog BBQ
Ranked #89 of 1,423 Restaurants in Colorado Springs
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Free Off-Street Parking, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Television, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Oklahoma Style BBQ...Perfected in Colorado. We have been voted Best BBQ in Colorado Springs every year since 2007! A true Colorado original, Bird Dog can be described using one word...different. Be it our cooking techniques, our house-made gluten-free sauces, our facilities, or even our name, we've taken every opportunity to zig where others zag. The result is a truly incomparable BBQ experience centered on the "BBQ un-snob". Bird Dog BBQ...what makes YOU different? *Just a FYI, we are sorry for the inconvenience but we do not take phone in orders, as we do not want to stop our line of patiently waiting customers to take an order and then again each time someone shows up to pay and pick up their order. Thank you for understanding:)
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Not too happy”
Reviewed March 14, 2014

I went to Bird Dog BBQ yesterday. Drove 15 Miles from downtown looking forward to outstanding BBQ. First of all..... The place is not too appealing. Old and dirty tables and chairs. Floors are on the dirty side. I ordered the 2 meat/2 sides menu. First the ribs: they had no taste and were on the hard side. The tips came off pretty well but meat stuck to most of the bone. The meat had no taste whatsoever, I guess not too much rub or none for that matter. The only BBQ sauce that was labeled was the "hot" one, the other two had no labels one was pretty good and the second one too "vinegry" for my taste. The sausage... Hmmm... too bland. Not really tasty at all. I got a piece of what looked as brisket and this thing was very dry and hard and ended up in the trash bin. Now the sides. Baked potatoe was very good (actually better than all the meat together) and the coleslaw was out of this world. I guess we all have different tastes and opinions but I've had ribs from many different places accross the country and these leave a lot to be desired. Please get it right!!

• Visited March 2014

Colorado Springs, Colorado
“This is the best place....Like Texas Bar-b-cue”
Reviewed March 8, 2014

We moved here from Texas in 2001 and missed good Bar-b-cue. We have tried all of the places in Colorado Springs and Denver and Bird Dog by far is the BEST. Some of the others are just OK but not close to Bird Dog. Their sides are great also and that you don't get at a lot of other places. Other places....their meat maybe OK but their sides and not good at all. Famous Dave's sides are yuck...not good. Other place are a lot higher on their prices also.
Bird Dog is the BEST!

• Visited February 2014
Calhan, Colorado
“Darn good BBQ”
Reviewed March 2, 2014

My daughter took me there for lunch for my B-Day. Having lived in Austin Texas for 5 years I was skeptical about how good it would be because as anyone who's been to Texas knows they do have some good BBQ. I even bought a Tezas style BBQ smoker when I came back home because I knew I could not live without smoked brisket, anyway; I was pleasantly surprised! Neah, Impressed. These oklahoma boys have some darn good BBQ, rivals anything I had in Texasor make myself. The brisket was nicely smoked right there on the premises in huge smokers, nice cuts of meat and the sides were very good. We each enjoyed our food very much. It is a bit of a drive from where I live, but I eat there every chance I get.
It is not a fancy sit down and get waited on place but now days waitres's/ers aren't that great anyway. Walk in order your food get your beverage and grab a seat anywhere you like, then enjoy some of the best real BBQ Colorado has to offer and that includes Rudy's (a Texas Chain that's good in Texas not so much here).

• Visited April 2013
Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
“Great BBQ, great value, great service”
Reviewed February 27, 2014

Been to the Stetson Hills location and the Centennial location, both of us had the beef brisket the first time and I had the Porkhouse and my wife had the Shotgun Spud. Not always the easiest places to find but well worth the journey. The service was great. a sandwich and a side will fill you up. A sandwich, a single side, and a drink for the 2 of us was just under $20. If you are really hungry, it will be more. Still have to go to the other two locations :) If you bring in a picture of a bird dog to Centennial they will knock 5% off the bill and with 2 pictures 10% off your bill. Enjoy!!!

• Visited February 2014
“Great Food ! Great Value!”
Reviewed January 26, 2014

My wife and I took my son and his wife along with their 1 year old to the Bird Dog for lunch. Three of us had the Pork House sandwich and beans. My sandwich was excellent and the beans were great too. The cost for 4 adults was approximately $40 and you don't need to tip a waitress because it's set up as a fast food experience. When you enter you go through the line and order just like McYD's or Wendy's. You receive your food at the end of the line, serve yourself at the drink fountain, and find a table. Everyone was friendly and accomodating. The service at the counter was very good. If you're looking for very good Bar-b-que at a reasonable price, Bird Dog fits the bill. If you want to sit and have a waitress bring your food or you want a classy atmosphere, look someplace else.

• Visited January 2014