“They try but don't always hit the mark”
Review of The Home Ranch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Clark
The Home Ranch
Price, Utah
“They try but don't always hit the mark”
Reviewed December 17, 2010

I'm sure this can be a great vacation spot, but it wasn't the perfect fit for a couple looking for a romantic high end winter getaway. I planned this surprise Valentines weekend getaway with my wife, but we were disappointed to find it really isn't a good place for private folks who want to spend time alone together. The pre-dinner appetizers are served on-mass in a room that is to small and forces the guests together. Meals are served at large tables where guests thrown together. No quiet tables for two. There were a lot of families that come the same time every year and seemed thrilled with "reunions" but if you want personal time alone anywhere in the lodge other than your room this can be hard to find. The rooms were smallish and the bed was lumpy -- you could see the mattress sag thru the comforter.

The cross country skiing was good but not up to expectations. There were no real trail maps available, but they finally handed out photocopied hand drawn "maps" that were difficult to follow. The trails were poorly signed and the grooming/conditions were hit and miss.

The food was excellent, the scenery/location is grand, and the winter horse back riding was uniquely exciting. Some of the staff seemed truly friendly, but others seemed to have to force it a bit.

Overall I would have expected more given the hefty price. We've done other winter cross country ski trips to other high end resorts and had a much better experience for the same cost.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
7 Thank winter1111111
johnnyfisher, Manager at The Home Ranch, responded to this review, January 28, 2011
Dear Sir (winter1111111),

Thank you for your post on trip advisor.

We are sorry that you did not find a romantic table for two for Valentines. When you made your reservation we were operating with our old web site. Unfortunately, we must have had some information on it that led you to believe that we had more privatized dining. We are currently reviewing our site to make sure that it emphasizes the spirited communal dining and sociable atmosphere that is present at the Home Ranch.

As far as grooming is concerned, we are available to tailor our guest's requests to suit their needs. If there is something you would like to see or do, we make it a point to meet that need. We always try to keep a variety of snow conditions, groomed, and un-groomed, as folks vary in what kind of trails they like to ski, and we are always available to modify trail grooming upon request for any kind of skier. We wish that you would have expressed your concerns directly to us, as we pride ourselves in taking good care of our guests.

Thank you for your comments.

Sincerely
Johnny Fisher
Manager
Home Ranch

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Toledo, Ohio
Reviewed October 18, 2010

The Ranch,,nestled in a beautiful setting of aspen groves and broad sweeping, quiet pastures, has the most professional ,gracious staff ,who are ever eager to please. The rooms and cabins are definitely "western chic" and the fabulous meals are prepared by talented French chefs-what wonders they created!!I can't say enough about The Ranch-everything from the horseback riding , to the fishing ,to the hiking, and to the entertainment was a joy .I will definitely return!!!

Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank dora59
nyc
Reviewed October 12, 2010

Pros: Beautiful setting and wonderful food. Most of the staff are extremely friendly and helpful. Cons: Boring. Not much to do other than ride-trials are nice, but never got to do half the things we wanted to do. Small, uninviting outdoor pool and pond.That is it. Not as many activities as advertised. Unfortunately the woman, Selena, who runs the front office is grumpy, unhelpful and dismissive. A number of guests asked her about activities and she simply responds by ignoring these requests! You pay thousands of dollars to be ignored? Watch out they also nickle and dime you re: drinks/sodas..nothing is included. Came home and began researching other ranches where we might be able to do more. Disappointed.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Allbrights
New Haven, Connecticut
Reviewed September 15, 2010

Recently got back from a week stay at The Home Ranch. My husband and I went there with our 11 year old daughter and her friend. We went there based on the fact that it has been listed in Relais Chateau and other publications as being a luxury ranch. The fishing was excellent. My husband did some on his own after touching base with Pierre who is the fishing guy at the ranch. He hooked him up. He then did some fishing with a guide that the ranch set him up with and went on some great trips. Didn't do any hiking so can't comment. Went river kayaking, as too late for rafting, but that was not my idea of fun! My daughter got stuck on a rock in a rapid and I had to paddle up and pull her off, b/c the guide was too far down the river, a bit scary! I just don't think that's for us. Sadly we didn't get to go to the rodeo b/c it had already left town! BIG bummer! That wasn't mentioned when we booked. The riding was great! The wranglers were awesome and made sure everyone had a great time. Rides were tailored to your specific needs. My daughter and I ride so we rode with several other young adults who wanted the same type of experience we had. One day we played capture the flag on horses and that was a blast! Found some escaped cows one morning and moved them back into their pasture which was fun. Moving cattle, as we were taught the proper technique, was somewhat tedious, but interesting, as I'd never done it before. You have to move them slowly so as not to spook them. Maybe it's faster when you're out in bigger spaces moving larger herds. Though one afternoon my riding group went out and really did move cattle that had been lost and they said it was incredible! I chose to take my girls into Steamboat shopping, though if I'd been told my group had this planned I would have happily skipped the shopping trip. The riding competition for adults and children (separate) was interesting and I enjoyed the different tasks we had to do with our team and our cattle. The open loping was great in the meadows and then we did some pretty fast trail riding also. The barn dance that was held one night was a lot of fun with line dancing, but lasted only an hour...could have done that several times or for a longer evening it was so fun! The food was very good. Breakfast was probably one of the better breakfasts I've had anywhere and we've been to a lot of upscale resorts. Lunch was great too with many options both hot and cold. Dinner, however proved to be a disappointment. The first night the kids ate separate from the adults which was okay except for the fact that the counselors apparently made their dinner. They got food that was, according to them, a bummer. Pasta was all they ate the first night. My daughter and her friend are used to eating healthy, steak, chicken, potatoes, veges etc. At 10pm I had to raid the kitchen for peanut butter sandwiches! The adults dinner was delicious, however. Gourmet for sure. The next night we ate with the kids and the following night we had our wine pairing dinner which was also amazing. The only problem was the main course was lamb and I don't eat lamb. In my opinion there should be a choice in a main course or we should be able to stipulate some dietary requests. I would have been happy with chicken or steak or fish, but I don't eat lamb, wild game or veal. Another night veal was the main course. We were not there for dinner that night (the reason to follow). So, the night of the wine pairing again the kids were served lame food...burned hot dogs and some sort of soggy pita pizza. So, the next day I asked Selina (the manager) if we could eat with our kids and she said no b/c then everyone else would want to do the same. I said we'd be willing to eat early with them or I asked if they could have a better menu. She said she'd look into a menu change or having them dine with us. The schedule showed that 2 more nights the kids would be eating separate from the adults and I wanted a change for those 2 nights. She never got back with me! Not a word! So, we drove 30mins into Steamboat on those 2 nights and took the girls out for dinner. We enjoyed our meals and town so it was fine, but really when you're paying for the food shouldn't some accommodations be made? Plus I never saw anything mentioned where kids ate separate from the adults. Maybe I missed it on the website? The worst was, when we were missing the owners, (who are quite lovely) were wondering where we were. The other guests said that we went into town b/c we wanted to eat with our kids and that their food at the ranch for the kids wasn't great. The owners then said that of course the kids could eat with the adults...anytime! Hello...does management know that? What's the deal? Who actually makes those decisions? Anyway, as for the accommodations, our cabin was very cozy and comfortable. The king size bed was awesome, but the bathroom tiny and out of date. The loft was small, but fine for 2 kids. There was a frig but nothing was stocked in it for the guests. I'd rather pay a little more and have my frig stocked and snacks brought in. The endless cookie jar was a small canister. Not really that exciting, though cookies, water and lemonade were always available at the main ranch. Alcohol was extra along with sodas at the honor bar. Not a big deal. Ultimately I would say that the ranch was very nice, the area beautiful, the riding and fishing excellent, breakfast and lunch awesome, but they need to address that food issue at dinnertime in my opinion. Or, know it going in!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
4 Thank susie33851
johnnyfisher, General Manager at The Home Ranch, responded to this review, November 24, 2010
Dear Susie:

I apologize, it’s not like any member of our Staff to not be helpful. You can be certain that we’ll discuss your concerns.
I thank you and appreciate your comments regarding the childrens’ dining. It is mentioned on our site, but we are in the process of making it more prominent.
We are sorry that you were disappointed by the childrens’ dining options. It is one of our chef’s priorities to accommodate our guests’ likes and dislikes, and we can always tailor a special menu for you during your stay. Children may dine with their parents at our three formal dinners, as, by design The Home Ranch is a place for families to connect and reconnect. However, our younger guests find the long meals and adult conversation less than interesting, and are happier eating and socializing with the other children and their counselors.
I wish that I had known of your concerns as they came up, so that we could have cleared up any issues immediately.
We hope that we’ll see you again in the future.
Johnny Fisher
Manager
Home Ranch
los angeles,ca
Reviewed May 12, 2010

This was our 5th or 6th trip to this wonderful place, the last two being with extended family . AFter each vacation, we sign up for the next year. The atmosphere is just what the name implies. It feels like home-from the wonderful communal dinners at which you meet a variety of people to the delicious cookies placed in the cabins and in the main lodge.My husband enjoys the skiing at steamboat and I enjoy the snow shoeing.If you want telephones or t.v. or room service, this is not the place for you. The evenings spent in our outdoor hot tub looking out over a lovely pasture were memorable. The only criticism is that I really adore a tub and the rooms and cabins do not have any. It is also difficult to get there. There are no nonstop flights from L.A., but we love it and keep going back.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
Boston
Reviewed March 25, 2010

I stayed at The Home Ranch near Steamboat Springs for four nights, and cannot wait to go back again!
It is an all inclusive resort so I find it a really good value. All meals and all on-site activities are included in the room rate. The ranch offers equipment for outdoor activities, and most activities can be guided as well, which is really good for families.
I'd recommend stayign at a cabin if you can get one, it's decent sized and has a porch and outdoor hot tub.
Staffs are all very friendly and make you really feel like stay at a friend's place. Service is not Four Seasons standard though, so do not expect the staffs to take care all small details for you (ex. no 24 hr room service). They will take good care of you as a friend, not as royalty.
Food is great, it is community dining but talking and getting to know other ranch guests is definitely one of the highlights of this stay. Chef changes menu daily and offer different main courses. any guests I met are returning guests and some even book their next stay already!
Though I wouldn't say it was a luxurious experience, it was most definitely pleasant. Some minor issues I had was that there was no phone in the cabin, so whenever I need to make a phone call, I'll have to walk over to the main cabin. There were no slippers in the room either. The bathroom is pretty basic and the water pressure can be improved. But these are very minor details, you'll forget them once you try their bathrobe and the comfortable bed!
It was a great stay and there are just so much to do on and off property, I'll be back!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank babygenius
London, UK
Reviewed August 30, 2009

This is a truly wonderful place - a beautiful ranch set amidst spectacular Rocky Mountain scenery, a well cared for herd of horses, comfortable ranch accommodation and an exceptional team of people to look after one. The ranch offers twice daily rides as well as fishing, hiking, rodeos, barn dancing, and much more. The ranch is accredited to Relais & Chateaux, which is reflected in a really exceptional quality of meals. The buffet lunches were to die for and the wine paring dinner was also especially memorable. In the summer the ranch has a "house party" atmosphere - a fun group of people from all over the world enjoying a week together. A great find.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clark
Hotel Bristol
#3 of 21 in Steamboat Springs
Elk River Guest Ranch
The Cabins at Historic Columbine
Nordic Lodge of Steamboat Springs
Nordic Lodge of Steamboat Spring...
#1 of 21 in Steamboat Springs

Been to The Home Ranch? Share your experiences!