“Memorable.....” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Home Ranch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Clark
The Home Ranch
Kingsville, Canada
“Memorable.....”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2013

My family and I consider ourselves VERY fortunate to have stumbled upon this outstanding vacation venue. We were looking for something to bring us out into the natural environment and where our daughter (21st birthday present from us) could ride horses and hike. I read the reviews beforehand and was feeling that I would take the advice from the 5-star raters over the one bad review. The Ranch did not make a 'wow' impression on me as we drove in - but that feeling changed within one conversation and tour with the host Barbara, and subsequent stay. Then I wondered how I would feel about the communal tables and basically sharing a duplex cabin. The bottom line is that it was far beyond my expectations. Johnny, the Manager and the people who work there are nothing short of amazing and could not do enough for you. The unexpected daily planned activities (barn dance; hayride cookout; wine tasting) and as it turned out even the communal tables, which encouraged conversation with the other guests, became a very bonding experience (allowing even a single traveler to feel like one of a larger group), and one of the things we will treasure most about this trip. Although there were a small group of children here during this week, they were so busy with activities with kids counselors that they were barely around, and this gave the parents an opportunity to do things on their own if they chose, knowing the kids were having a safe, fun time; and for our 'adult' family, was not at all a bother (although there are 'adult only' weeks). There was nothing lacking here - the amenities were luxurious; the food was the most incredible cuisine (all fresh from the onsite gardens). My daughter, being a vegetarian was overwhelmed by all the choices. Being a food critic myself, I can't stop gushing about it, and would return for this alone. The beauty of the peaceful countryside and the mountains, the relaxed atmosphere, the beautiful horses, and again - the staff - all simply made for an outstanding trip! We are already talking about returning next year and bringing BOTH daughters!!

Room Tip: The outlying cabins are rustic yet comfortable, stocked with jars of cookies and candies; the fridge...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Scozul

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2013

The Home Ranch is my favorite place- EVER! I've visited many times over the past few years in both winter and spring and have always had an incredible experience. The food, service, location, and community feeling- everything about this place is amazing.

My most recent visit was particularly incredible as I celebrated my wedding at the Ranch! I worked closely with Selina throughout the nine month planning process and she was always friendly, prompt and professional. Selina and other front desk staff were very helpful in working with other wedding vendors. She thought of every little detail which made being a bride extremely easy, and I'm someone who is generally paranoid about every little detail!

I was also extremely impressed with Johnny, the manager, and his ability to make sure all of our guests were settling in and had everything they needed to make their stay comfortable. It is remarkable how Johnny and all of the other staff are able to remember guest names and preferences. The service staff is really top-notch.

Many of our friends and family took advantage of hiking and horseback riding on the premises which is absolutely breathtaking. They all raved about their experiences, making me jealous that I only got to do a few fun things in the midst of last minute planning details. The wranglers were patient with so many city slickers and novice riders in the group, so a big kudos to them!

And then there's the food and wine. WOW. Ridiculous. This is the main reason we chose to get married at the ranch. The food is outstanding and was really the star of the show. We had bison, lamb, halibut, trout, local greens (grown in the greenhouse right on site!) and the best scallops I've ever tasted as part of our celebration. Lunches everyday consisted of some of the best salads I’ve ever had too – one of my meat-loving friends said she could become a vegetarian if she had delicious options like farro, quinoa and lentils as they were prepared by the Home Ranch chefs. The wine selection is also fantastic. The staff do a great job of presenting wines that pair well with certain dishes without making you feel pressured into one selection or another. I can honestly say the food I’ve eaten at the Ranch is the best food I’ve ever had, all presented in such a community-friendly and unpretentious way.

Aside from the wedding experience, every other visit I've had at the ranch has been wonderful. Contrary to the reviewer below, I have been pleasantly surprised at how humble and down to earth the guests are. I really enjoy the communal dining experience and have had many fantastic conversations with people I never would've met elsewhere. The Home Ranch truly is a gem and a must-visit. I cannot recommend this place highly enough.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank hbeck09
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013

I've got to disagree with the reviewer who said the atmosphere at the Home Ranch is pretentious. I can't stand places that reek of showing off money (St. Regis, One and Only Resorts, etc.). The Home Ranch (where I've stayed twice) is understated and casual, while still providing a relaxed form of luxury -- like staying with warm, welcoming friends who happen to own a gorgeous ranch in one of the most beautiful spots on earth. It sounds like the reviewer (Janie C.) got very unlucky in terms of the other guests who happened to be at the ranch that week. I haven't had that experience -- just the opposite in fact. But you can't blame the ranch for the guests! That's like giving a restaurant a bad review because the people seated at the table next to you were loud and obnoxious. The food at the Home Ranch is AMAZING, much of it locally grown, the cabins are warm and cozy and beautifully decorated, the staff and wranglers are helpful and sweet, and the setting, the Elk River Valley, is so beautiful, so serene, so breathtaking, so heavenly, the air so pure, the wildlife so plentiful, the horses so willing -- I could be seated next to Kim Kardashian every night and I think I could manage to rise above it. It's heaven on earth to me and my husband -- a place to go to re-charge and re-discover what really matters in life. In fact, we're going back for a third time next month.

Room Tip: I like the cabins because you get your own private hot tub on the porch. Nothing like sitting in th...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

My husband and I came here for a couples celebration based on the recommendation he received from a former guest of the home ranch. This experience was awful for us. We wanted a more intimate atmosphere and were forced to take part in the communal dining experience. I would have enjoyed this had the guests not taken every opportunity to brag about their material goods and basically compete with one another. For more humble people who do not like to engage in this type of boasting dinner table talk, it was awkward and we dreaded having dinner. We will not return. If you enjoy a stuffy environment and are into bragging about every vacation home, plane, and home that you own, you will enjoy this place. Maybe we came at the wrong time, but in any event, we will not return. Also, my husband and I were the youngest couple there (late 20's and early 30's) which made it uncomfortable when all the ladies who were 40 and 50 plus kept together in their own pretentious group. I cannot tell you how many times I was asked what I did for a living (by both the staff and guests) - and also my husband felt he was asked the same thing numerous times. I must have discussed graduate school a million times, which made me feel like I was being quizzed nonstop. We have traveled to high end placed but the difference is, we were always comfortable. This place is our least favorite and needless to say will never return.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Janie C
johnnyfisher, General Manager at The Home Ranch, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Dear Janie C,
I am sorry that you did not have a great experience here at The Home Ranch. I must admit that I am a little puzzled by your review, as our spirited communal dining room is prominently featured on our website, www.homeranch.com. Over the years, lifelong friendships have been forged in our dining room, and we are sorry you did not have the same experience as so many of our other guests.

Jonny Fisher
Ranch Manager
The Home Ranch
Haverford, PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013

Wow! Where to start? I almost don't want to write this review because I want to keep Home Ranch all to myself!

First of all, everything was outstanding. Food, service, staff, environment, you name it.

My husband and 14 year old were on a school trip for spring break so I was left to my own devices as to what to do with my 12 & 8 year olds. Boy, did I ever make the right choice! From the moment we were picked up at the Holiday Inn rendezvous point, we began to relax.

We arrived about 4:30 pm and although we had missed most of the day, we were still able to tube down the hill and cross-country ski. The fellows in the ski hut couldn't have been more helpful in outfitting us and giving us useful tips right away.

GOURMET FOOD
We had the most delicious, wonderful dinner after the appetizers and cocktails in the Living Room and were welcomed warmly by other guests. Breakfast and lunch are more casual, and dinner is slightly more formal with everyone standing behind their chairs until all are assembled in the dining room and then seated at the same time.

Each meal was gourmet and Chef Clyde took great delight in describing to us the wonderful things he'd been creating in the kitchen all day just for us. The dinner table was simply, yet beautifully, set with tablecloth, flowers & candles each evening.

ACTIVITIES
There were so many winter activities to take advantage of that we couldn't do them all. We chose to explore cross-country skiing this trip instead of "going to the mountain (Steam Boat)". My 12 & 8 year olds enjoyed it very much. They also enjoyed tubing down the hill. Snow-shoeing and ski-skating is also offered, but we didn't get to it. We rode horses every day on a trail ride with Wrangler Kelly who is as wonderful and patient with kids as he is with horses!

Dog-Sledding -
Home Ranch arranged for us to go off the property about 45 minutes away to dog-sled. It was a unique and wonderful experience - all of us got to drive the sled and we had a blast! The dogs were sweet, friendly and 'raring to go!

SPECIAL TREAT
One evening after dinner, Johnny had his trio came in and they played for us in the Living Room! A double-bass, 2 guitars, a banjo and a violin all came out and we were gifted with music and song. It was fantastic - a little blue grass, a little Johnny Cash a little country - it was all there and they were fantastic. Johnny even taught us all how to play spoons....

STAFF
All the staff, from your housekeeper and front desk to the dining room servers and ski hut guides were lovely, warm & knowledgeable. All appeared genuinely happy to be exactly where they were -- doing what they wanted to do.

Johnny, Home Ranch's General Manager, really felt much more like your very own personal caretaker and host - always present to ensure his Guests were having an optimum experience in a quiet, competent and unobtrusive way.

ROOMS
I opted to stay in the Lodge since it was our first visit. Our room was perfect and our amenities were lovely. Cheese and crackers in the mini-fridge, chocolate chip cookies and trail mix on the writing desk refilled magically every day.

There are cabins outside the Lodge to stay in as well and we might try one of these next time, although the staying in the Lodge was quite convenient.

We had a winter experience, however in the summer, Home Ranch is more of a horse wrangling cowboy ranch with bookings from Sunday to Sunday. All kinds of fun things happen during the week - all of them family and kid oriented.

For a REAL vacation, this is the place to be - by all means, come home to Home Ranch.

Room Tip: For those staying in the Main Lodge I recommend you request an upstairs room to avoid noise from tho...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank pineapplegirl
Asheville, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

My husband and I planned this trip for over a year and we had very high expectations for the Home Ranch. I am so happy to say that those expectations were all exceeded! From the absolutely incredible meals to the exceptional service, the Home Ranch offers the best winter vacation experience imaginable! Every single person went out of their way to ensure we felt welcomed and comfortable. All of the guides were great with people at every level of snowshoeing and cross-county experience. Fortunately the weather was great while were there and we spent most of the day outside snowshoeing all over the many acres of snowshoe trails and groomed cross-country ski trails. Downhill skiing is also close by and the Home Ranch is happy to drive you over and pick you up at the base of the mountain in Steamboat Springs.

We could not have asked for a better experience and we definitely plan to return for future winter vacations!

Room Tip: Although the lodge was typically very quiet at night, I would recommend and upstairs room just to av...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank LBTampa
Longmont, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

Champagne powder snow immacutaely groomed for cross country skiers...relaxing snowshoe trails that meander through lovely stands of pine & Aspen....culinary perfections that touches the senses and satisfies deeply.....cabins with top-notch touches (quality hot-tubs, cozy beds, hot showers, etc.). But it is the staff that sets 'The Home Ranch' apart. Johnny and his crew make the guests feel special and appreciated. They gently coax you out on the trails, give gentle suggestions of things to do with your day. It was so hard to come home just yesterday from one of the best three day weekends my wife and I have ever had. Thank you Johnny and all of the crew at this lovely resort for making our stay truely special. Kevin K fron Longmont, CO

Room Tip: Every cabin choice appears to be a good one. We stayed in 'Roo' and loved it.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kevin K
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clark
The Steamboat Grand
The Porches
The Porches
#1 of 80 in Steamboat Springs
Nordic Lodge of Steamboat Springs
Nordic Lodge of Steamboat Spring...
#1 of 21 in Steamboat Springs
Sheraton Steamboat Resort
Sheraton Steamboat Resort
#5 of 21 in Steamboat Springs

Been to The Home Ranch? Share your experiences!