“Not up to par”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chipita Park
Lone Duck Campground
Tampa, Florida
“Not up to par”
Reviewed July 18, 2014 via mobile

Owner was rude the minute we checked in and never was nice throughout our stay. Carpet and floor in the office/building where you check-in, eat, shower and play arcade games was so filthy and old it's unacceptable. The knobs and buttons on the games looked and felt like they have never been cleaned. After checking in we went to the bathroom and everything was filthy. The sites were a muddy mess when we were there. The playground is very small and everything is old. Pool seemed fine but so small. People who have left positive reviews have never stayed at a nice place. They attract a certain style camper that isn't as concerned about friendliness and cleanliness. We couldn't wait to get out of there. This place is not on par with other well kept campgrounds. The only reason people would stay is because of its proximity to the areas attractions. I wouldn't stay for that reason. Go somewhere else, you will be glad you did.

Stayed July 2014
9 Thank AddrenalineJunkie

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed July 11, 2014 via mobile

My family and I stayed at the campground for 4 nights, and we had a great time. We have an 8-year-old who loved meeting lots of other kids, swimming in the pool, playing with the owner's dog, playing games in the game room and looking at the "Lone Duck" in the pond. We also loved the great service we received from the campground owners who were always available. The only drawbacks of this place is that the campsites are small and very close to neighboring sites; it is located right off the highway so you hear a little bit of traffic (although a very convenient place to get into Colorado Springs!), and only 1 bathroom for the whole campground. Also, one thing to note: If you are staying in a pop up regular tent, don't opt for a site with electricity because the ground will be rocks (no grass). Overall, we liked the place.

Stayed July 2014
4 Thank travelingr0cks
Wichita, Kansas
Reviewed July 10, 2014

We camped for a week in June here and loved it. The pool was great and so were the pancakes! The kids really liked this campground too. A lot to offer. The owners were very welcoming and helpful. Close to lots of things to see and do.

• Stayed June 2014
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed June 30, 2014

The pros...The location of this campground is what brought us in. It is a great base for Manitou Springs, Cave of the Winds, Garden of the Gods and other near by attractions. It has a heated pool and a small arcade which my son loved. There is a pond with fishing, but we did not explore it. There is a little stream which runs through the campground. Restrooms are clean. There is a gift shop and a pancake breakfast (we didn't eat because we brought donuts :-) Each site includes a fire ring and a picnic table.

The cons....if you are looking for that "out of town feel" you won't find it here. The campground is right off the highway and you will hear it. The sites are very small and right on top of each other.

I would stay here again if I were looking at the local attractions, but not for a weekend away camping. I did not come across any other sites nearby that had more of that "getting away" feel.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Andrews_mom_12
Lancing, Tennessee
Reviewed June 26, 2014

We stayed at Lone Duck for 10 days in June and never regretted our decision to book there. The campground is spacious, clean, well-maintained and the owners are friendly and helpful. The sites are spaced well and many are on a small stream or on the pond. The pool is spotless and is only one offering of on-site activities. There's also a game room, basketball court, computers and a nice place to escape the weather if you are tent camping. There is a bit of highway noise but we quickly got used to it. The traffic dies down at night.
I hightly recommend Lone Duck and will absolutely stay there again if we are in the Colorado Springs area.
Kathy D.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Kathy D
Imboden, Arkansas, USA
Reviewed June 20, 2014 via mobile

We were wanting to stay near Colorado Springs and happened upon this campground after finding quite a few duds. We are tent campers so we like something with trees. The owner of this campground was awesome from the beginning. He was laid back and willing to do anything to make sure we enjoyed our stay. We don't have children but this campground is perfect for kids with a fishing pond, pool and play equipment. The only drawback was that the sites are very close to one another. The bathrooms were very clean which is high on our important list! Highly recommend staying with these friendly folks!!

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jess M
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed May 26, 2014

I am not an outdoorsman, but I wanted to instill an appreciation of nature in my 6-year-old, so we started camping last year...okay, I also wanted him to experience some “manly-man” things. So far it has been one disaster after another, and my little guy is loath to venture beyond the city limits. Nonetheless, we decided to give it another go over Memorial Day weekend at the Lone Duck Campgrounds near Manitou Springs, Colorado.

In the spirit of consistency, the weather and some other factors (all out of the control of the campground staff) conspired to make our arrival a budding catastrophe. My son was in tears and wanted to leave…and I was ready to abandon our gear and head home. Fortunately, the staff at Lone Duck were exceptionally kind and generous, and bent over backwards to get us settled and ensure our stay was a success. Despite a wet weekend replete with daily hail storms, we actually had a great time.

As far as the actual campground, the facilities are very nice, and they are convenient to all the local attractions without being directly adjacent to an urban area. The Lone Duck is family-owned and it shows. There are plenty of trees so the sites are shady and mature. The grounds are clean, as are the restrooms/showers and the pool. The pool is also almost hot-tub-warm. The fishing pond is stocked to the point that you’re almost guaranteed to catch a nice-size trout. We caught two (which traumatized me when I had to figure out how to clean and cook them). Generally speaking, it’s just a really great place for a family outing.

What really sets the Lone Duck apart, however, is the staff. The owners and employees exemplify an almost-extinct level of care and concern for their customers. They’re “regular folk,” but I wish they could teach a class in customer satisfaction and long-term loyalty at every business school in America. I’m not sure if they just have old-fashioned values, or they truly believe happy customers will eventually result in a profitable business. Either way, they have my eternal gratitude.

I doubt my son will ever be a contestant on “Survivor” (he felt sad for the fish and the worms), but thanks to the Lone Duck staff, I may have to cross camping off my list of ways to traumatize him. We’ll be back soon!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
7 Thank Michael L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chipita Park
The Cliff House at Pikes Peak
The Cliff House at Pikes Peak
#1 of 10 in Manitou Springs
Garden of the Gods Club and Resort
Garden of the Gods Club and Reso...
#3 of 105 in Colorado Springs
Chipita Lodge Bed and Breakfast
The Outlook Lodge
The Outlook Lodge
#1 of 2 in Green Mountain Falls

Been to Lone Duck Campground? Share your experiences!