“Not Satisfied”

Grand Z Casino and Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Central City
Reviewed March 9, 2013

My wife and I have been going to The Reserve Casino for almost two years. I have noticed a decline in the food being served in the past year. We do go there to gamble, but we like to east something very tasty. During the week I do not like to spend an hour in the only one restaurant getting lunch. This past week, the only option was to get a cold sandwich at the snack bar for $5.00. I also had the macaroni salad, but it was so undercooked and hard, I had to throw it out. I do miss the buffet portion of the restaurant, because you could get something very good and not spend much time away from the slots. I am disappointed in the quality and choice of food served during the week. The other services at the Reserve are great and the people are wonderful.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank bobkLoveland_CO
Write a ReviewReviews (2,118)

Reviewed March 4, 2013

Our two day stay began when we waited at the front desk for a good 20 minutes while the two workers dealt with a woman who was obviously trying to scam them. We finally got to check in and were pleasantly surprised with the decor in the room. It was very modern and sylish. We stayed at the Reserve to gamble on the first night and did pretty well. Our only complaint about the casino is that it was very hard to get a drink.

After a long day, we decided to do the lobster buffet. That was a horrible idea. The buffet was disgusting, the only thing that looked appetizing was the mashed potatoes. The lobster was very chewy and rubbery and the "butter" was not butter at all, despite their claims of it being "clarified butter". It was so heavy and tasteless and never solidified, even after I put an ice cube in it!! That buffet was such a waste of money. We got takeout from the bistro restaurant and that was much better.

The final disappointment was that we traveled up to our third floor room after drinking and spending our money all day and our room keys wouldn't work. Luckily there was a worker on our floor who was willing to go down to the desk and fix the problem. We had our restaurant takeout food with us that ended up being cold by the time we sat down in our room to eat it.

We would stay there again if it was a last resort. Not impressed overall.

Room Tip: Ask for a mountain view, otherwise you're stuck staring at the side of the parking garage.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Katie H
Reviewed February 18, 2013

this was our first trip to central city and was greeted by a "jerk" at check in. and a very unfriendly black lady at the player club. we had never been here so we had questions she was very rude to my husband. we will never stay here again, the lobster buffet was horrible, the lobster was burnt an the butter to dip into was cooking oil. the only friendly person in the whole place was the bartender. not a very good first and last impression. the room was comfortable until next door the group of young people started yelling and laughing around 1 am.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank airforcemom1
Jef B, General Manager at Grand Z Casino and Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2013

Dear Airforcemom,
I am sorry to hear that your experience at Reserve did not meet your expectations. I am looking into your front desk and player club treatment. Please know that this is not our standard and that we've worked very diligently these past few months to improve service here in all areas.
Regarding your lobster buffet experience, we are the only buffet in the market who offers made-to-order lobster. Guests can choose between sauteed or grilled "on the barby" options. When we grill your lobster, the shell does get blackened a bit. The clarified butter we use for dipping is of the highest grade and, is absolutely not "cooking oil." Most seafood restaurants offer this higher grade butter for shellfish and it does have a clear appearance so I can understand the confusion.
I do hope you'll try us again as I believe you will have a far better experience. Please ask for me and I will ensure it. Thank you,
-jef

Reviewed February 10, 2013

very friendly staff. clean rooms, dirty hallways. needs a little tlc here and there. decent breakfast buffet. not too bad, really... check in was fast and easy...nice ladies at check in. great parking.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Jef B, General Manager at Grand Z Casino and Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2013

Dear elismac,
Thank so much for your comments on your stay. I'm glad you liked our $4.99 breakfast buffet and that your check-in was enjoyable. I do appreciate your comments regarding cleanliness of hallways in our hotel. We strive to keep Reserve spotless and typically that is the case. However, occasionally we do get hit with heavy traffic and seasonal weather impact, especially this past week of mud and snow.
I hope you'll continue to visit us here at Reserve and please know that we do appreciate your feedback and have re-doubled our efforts on our hotel hallways.
Best of luck on your next visit!

Reviewed February 9, 2013

This casino is slowly but surely improving. Sometimes they comp me free rooms or low priced rooms and I appreciate that. I almost usually use my comps that are free. On a scale of one to ten the rooms are about a seven. I will say this though the rooms are always clean. There is one room right next to the elevator on the third floor (I think it is #329) that has a broken thermostat and they really need to fix that, because the room is ether too hot or too cold. They also comp free food and money plus you earn points gambling that you can redeem for cash. The folks that work there seem to be fairly kind. I’ve won a bit of money at this casino. There are a couple of real cute, friendly, hot barmaids that work the 1st floor bar. There is plenty of parking but be careful cause the street in front of the casino/hotel is a one way street. I’ve only gone the wrong way once when I didn’t know it was a one way and a cop pulled me over in the inside parking garage. Fortunately he was merciful cop and didn’t give me a ticket. Also the salmon in the main restaurant that is opened every day tastes very, very good.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo

Dear Nefesh B.,
Thank you very much for staying and playing with us recently at Reserve. I was thrilled to hear of your experience and glad that all the improvements we've made, and continue to make, are being noticed.
I really appreciate your feedback on the thermostat in room 329 as we were able to address it immediately and fix the problem. This type of feedback is invaluable to our hotel as we strive to ensure that every guest experience is outstanding--room comfort is paramount to this experience.
I was also happy to hear that you enjoy our comps as well as the salmon in our Bistro 321. We have worked very hard to make all our food and beverage outlets the best in Colorado gaming.
Thanks again and good luck on your next visit!

Reviewed January 28, 2013

Just came back from a one night stay at the Reserve with a friend of mine. Parking and check in was easy......Friendly front desk staff. We were there on a saturday and expected it to be a lot more crowded than it actually was. Fairly loose slots too!

The room was nice. We were on the fourth floor. The beds were comfortable and great water pressure in the shower. My only complaint about the room is that when I turned the shower on, the water was brown at first and then went to clear...maybe rust in the pipes? A tad noisy as people walked by but not enough to disturb sleep. There is a free shuttle that drops you off in different Central City and Blackhawk locations. They offer a Buffet Breakfast for $4.99 on the weekends.....Nothing fancy but good. Too bad the croissants and muffins were stale, but the french toast and sausage was great!

I would definitely stay here again......

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Chrispis,
Thank you for your post on your recent stay at Reserve. I'm happy to hear you enjoyed your room, breakfast buffet, comfy beds and water pressure as well as our loose slots and friendly staff.

Thanks, too, for your feedback on the shower water. I have my team looking into it as I do know there is occasional iron in the Central City water supply. We do filter all our drinking water at Reserve, however.

I am thrilled to hear you will be visiting us again! Please ask for me next time you're in as I'd love to say hello.

Best of luck on your next visit!

Reviewed January 25, 2013

We enjoy the Reserve very much. Very nice environment. Rooms are really nice. Clean, comfortable beds and up to date. Good service all around. We haven't done the weekend buffets yet but I'm sure they are good! Very close to everything.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Denisef708,
Thank you so much for staying with us recently and for posting your review of Reserve. I really appreciate your positive feedback as we've worked hard lately to improve our guests' experience. Our new owners and management team have spent a great deal of energy and capital to transform the Reserve into the best gaming experience in Colorado. I was happy to hear you enjoyed our service and comfortable rooms.
I hope you'll be back to visit us soon.
-jef

Eldora Lodge
Eldora Lodge
#3 of 18 in Golden
The Vintage Resort Hotel & Conference Center

Been to Grand Z Casino and Hotel? Share your experiences!