“Surprisingly Good Opera”

Central City Opera House
Reviewed July 19, 2013

Good job from what appears to be a small, local opera company.
We saw The Barber of Seville.
The tenor was very good in the part of the Count.
The actor / singer playing the part of The Barber of Seville was also very good as was the the part of Rosina.
They had done a very good job with the scenery for such a small stage.
It was a very nice evening !

All reviews
"gambling"
"businesses"
in 2 reviews

Reviewed December 3, 2012

We took a walk from Black Hawk to Central City ( about 1-2 miles) . However, you can take a free shuttle. While walking though Central City we enjoyed seeing the old buildings. We came upon the visitors center on Eureka street and we were able book a tour to see the opera house and Teller House next door. The tour was about an hour and our tour guide did a great job of explaining the history of the area and the buildings. The Teller House Is a historic hotel really worth seeing. Look for the face painted on the bar room floor.
We saw these attractions during the off season of the opera. The opera house is lovely and notice the lovely trompe l'oeil murals on the walls.

Reviewed October 2, 2012

The theater was beautiful, and I loved that the parking was so easy and near, in a very old town that is hard to come by. The people were very friendly and helpful, and there was a very cool thrift store across the street too.

Reviewed September 25, 2012

I went there to see Carmen in August 2011, I believe. The place is TINY, seating was cozy (read: SNUG) and you felt like you were in an opera house as old as the hills - like it might crumble beneath you - but it was an excellent experience. The audience was chatty and friendly, the outdoor waiting area was just pretty as everyone milled about before, during and after. The performance was top caliber - I was so impressed that I drove over an hour into the mountains, sat squished in this little seat that I feared might collapse from age and enjoyed a performance that would've played well in Manhattan.

See more reviews
Reviewed August 30, 2012

My husband and I went to Central City and Blackhawk for his birthday (I was the one who wanted to go to the Opera though.) We were pleasantly surprised by Central City Opera. I originally planned to see "Medium" which was an English opera, but they sold out before I had a chance to book the tickets. We saw "La Boheme"--it was our first opera, and we both knew the story so I thought it was a good choice for us. It was excellent! The cast was amazing. The cast was made up of accomplished performers from all over (I guess I thought it would just be local talent.)

Central City opera house is older so the seats are pretty close together but they had a display with an English translation of the lyrics, and soon I forgot the lack of leg room. We sat in the first row of the balcony so that may have also affected the knee room as part of the architecture was right in front of our seats.

Before the opera you can relax outside in the garden with a glass of wine (or other beverage), and there are other shops/casinos of interest within walking distance. You can park in a garage down the street from the opera house for free--we missed it on our way in, and had to do a loop of the city in order to get back to the garage, but it was a quick trip since Central City is pretty small.

The opera was a great 2.5 hour diversion for a weekend get-away, and I highly recommend it.

1  Thank JandSmomanddad