“Good Place to Stay for the Opera” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Century Hotel and Casino

Century Hotel and Casino
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Central City
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Good Place to Stay for the Opera”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2012

If you're in Central City for the unexpected delights of the world-class opera there, your lodging choices are limited to a couple of small B & Bs or one of the big casinos that are the primary life-blood of this historic mining boomtown. We chose the Century based on reviews here on TripAdvisor. A few comments to supplement those already well-stated here. The reservation and check-in process is indeed a little off-putting. You can only make reservations by phone and you WILL be put on hold! You'll recognize why when you check in: the staff has their hands full with gaming. Like the previous reviewer, the staff member on the phone was a little on the casual unprofessional side, but being from the mountain west, I recognized it and grin and bore it ;-) You cannot check in before 4pm, which is a bit of a pain if you arrive mid-day for a matinee and want to change or freshen up. You will be required to get a casino players club card--which is not terribly onerous and they did give me a few free spins on the big slot behind the desk because I was new and because it was my birthday. Once you make it through all that, you'll be pleased. The parking is excellent--very important in this crammed, busy little town. The rooms are very good, with good insulation from the gaming noise. Our room was on the north side, over the street and the relatively frequent tour busses making the climb outside, one floor down, are an initial annoyance; but not too bad. We ate at the Rouge for lunch and dinner; we only had breakfast at the hotel and it was OK. I'll stay here on future trips to the opera.

Room Tip: Avoid street rooms if you're sensitive to street sounds.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Mark C

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2012 via mobile

Easy parking. Casino is almost all video and slot machines. There is one room with one craps table, three blackjack tables, and three other game tables. $3 minimum bets. Blackjack only got paid 3 to 2, and no surrender bets. I got a player's card , but got no points for four hours of play with $10 blackjack bets and $20 craps bets. Dealers were fun. There were only two players on the craps table, and three on the blackjack table. I will try the Ameristar next time, and hope for full tables. With sparse tables, the money can be lost too fast. I liked the restaurant

Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
6 Thank BeachBoys1966
Colorado Springs, Colorado
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2012

I called to make a reservation and the woman on the phone was the most most rude person I have ever dealt with. I deal with alot of people in my field of work but this lady was the worst by far and very unprofessional. Not a real smart move on this lady to get business in this economy. I wouldn't even make a reservation because of her and got a room elsewhere. First impressions mean alot.

Room Tip: Try another hotel!!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank Luvtotravel228
Akron, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2012

My husband decided to try the Century Casino yesterday on a whim. What a great idea it was indeed!! We won and won and won. Very pleased with the outcome of the few $20s we dropped into the machines ;) and walked out with a few $100s. Liked the atmosphere in the casino, the drinks were generous and probably helped me spend more cash, and we make it a point to gamble ONLY in smoke-free casinos. This facility had clean air! We had a nice afternoon and will go back again. The only down-ish side was the MetroCity Grill Restaurant. My husband had their prime rib special and felt it was good and a good value. I was less excited by my lunch and won't choose that restaurant without pursuasion.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank PamLindenthal
Nashville
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Century Hotel based on positive TripAdvisor comments, and we were not disappointed. Our room (#222) was clean, modern and spacious. The restaurant was fine, even though it would have been nice to have cereal selections other than Raisin Bran or Froot Loops for breakfast! (Maybe most guests don't order cereal.) Our waitress at breakfast went out of her way to answer our questions about the area. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank GeorgiaGail
Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2012

This is the best place in the CO gambling towns. Great microbrews on tap flowing for free, good staff and atmosphere. And for whatever reason, I tend to win here more than any other place in Central City/Blackhawk. The prime rib is outstanding as well. The hotel fills early, so if planning to stay there, book well in advance.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Kickbass
Dayton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2012

We booked at this hotel because of the positive reviews and descriptions of the rooms and casino. We found the casino a fun place with good atmosphere and not smoky. The staff was friendly as well as the players. We stayed a Saturday night and found the Prime Rib special was excellent for the $7.99 price with the Players Card. We also had the breakfast...it too was very good. A small breakfast comes with the room price but we choose to add a little more from the menu.

The room itself was not a disappointment...it is as described by previous reviewers. Remember in Central City most of the buildings are "old" and have been remodeled inside. The hotel is on the floor above the casino. Check-in is in the corner next to the players club. Access is a elevator that goes down to the restaurant or up to the hotel rooms. The elevator will not go to the hotel room unless you swipe your room key...nice touch. The room is spacious and the beds were comfortable. Our room was above the parking lot and the noise was really not a problem...even with the window open. The room has a lot of "little" touches that I liked...a soap dish...I hate having to put the bar soap on the granite and stone counters. The gambling was fun...my husband was only down $10 after many hours of play...but I left them enough to make small profit from out stay. We would have enjoyed wondering around to some of the other casino's but we are flat lander's and this town is as 8200'.

The staff on checking in and out was great...remember they only have 26 rooms and the players club personal do double duty. The final touch was the cleaning gal...she wore a maids uniform...now that was class!

I rated this hotel a 3 on value since it was $159...but remember it was Saturday night...we did not have a players card with points when we checked in and it was still lower in price than most other hotels in Black Hawk...these two cities are an hour outside of Denver also providing them with a large base to allow the higher prices.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Ameristar Casino Resort Spa Black Hawk
Nicki Lee Mansion
Nicki Lee Mansion
#2 of 2 in Central City

Been to Century Hotel and Casino? Share your experiences!