“Excellent Food, Unique Location”

The Old Stone Church Restaurant
Ranked #11 of 147 Restaurants in Castle Rock
Cuisines: American, Southwestern, Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Castle Rock, Colorado
“Excellent Food, Unique Location”
Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

We came here on a double date with some friends. We enjoyed a very delicious dinner. The food was interesting and very enjoyable.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank SaraColorado

denver
“Must try at least once”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Went with the hubby for a special occasion, food was good wine was good will probably try again to get a better feel.

• Visited March 2013
2 Thank Cyn R
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Sounds more appealing than it is”
Reviewed June 14, 2013

The food is good, but the interior decoration of the church is a little stark and barren. And although it is a fairly quiet restaurant, the choice of music coming over the sound system was unpleasant to me - some sort of popular music - seemed inappropriate for a church - not that I wanted hymns and it's not a church any more of course - but something not so intrusive and jarring would have been appreciated.

I wouldn't choose to go here the next time I'm in Castle Rock.

Denver, Colorado
“Is the hype...right???”
Reviewed June 12, 2013

We usually try to avoid overly hyped places….but as our choices for date night are dwindling down we decided to give it a try. First off, as we were waiting to be seated 3 other couples arrived at the same time and the converted entry vestibule became very crowded. The hostess did her best to get us seated quickly and even called in extra help to expedite the process. A+ on first impression. The place inside is somewhat modern so it really doesn’t match its name. Comfortable tables in a well lit room with a balcony overhead (but you really can’t see the diners up there). As far as the service is concerned everything was timed perfectly, not waiting too long or feeling like we were being rushed for the next turn. Our server was pleasant, knew about the building and history plus was extremely pleasant and helpful. We had 2 aps, the Thai Calamari and the lettuce wraps. First the calamari was prepared perfectly for me, but I like mine a little more done then my wife and she thought they we just barely overcooked…But she ate every bite. Now for the lettuce wraps, expecting chicken (a’ la’ PF Changs) we were pleasantly surprised that the protein was pork belly…and again perfectly prepared with a really nice vegetable medley and an awesome 1000 island/Russian dressing sauce. Excellent another A. The baby arugula salad was fresh and dresses perfectly. We had the rib eye and scallops. Both dishes were devoured with no hesitation and would definitely try again. Overall the experience was as good as it could possibly be. I was very surprised that this quality of meal is very attractively priced. This is now a place for special dinners with friends and family, you’ll not be disappointed. Only problem was you have to call for reservations...no online reservation presence.

2 Thank rbitv
Castle Rock, Colorado
“Great food... but poor form for parties who need reservations”
Reviewed June 10, 2013

This has been one of my favorite places for fine dining with friends for years.

I dined here with some friends this past weekend, and we called to reserve a table for 6, and let the hostess know we may have 8 people total show. The hosts said to reserve the larger table as it's tough to add seats after the fact. I understood, that made sense. Fast forward to the day of, and we only had our planned 6 who were able to come, and two people were sick and could not come, leaving our party of four at a table for eight.

The meal went fine and food and service was great as always. As we got our bill, our server advised of a new policy that when reservations are made, if less than your reserved number shows, in our case, 4 people, they are to charge a fee, per person, who wasn't able to make it if only half or fewer of the party attends.

I was stunned, and mentioned that I had tried to make the reservation for the smaller table, and was recommended to go with the larger table, AND the host didn't mention this policy, otherwise we probably wouldn't have chosen to go to the restaurant.

While I was not charged, this is definitely a "buyer beware" or "gotcha" situation that could have been prevented easily. I understand that establishments need to plan resources, etc, but there were a number of opportunities for them to let me in on the new policy before I sat down. These include:

* Taking the reservation as I requested for the smaller table.
* The host's script includes a statement that you will be charged a fee if half or less of the group shows.
* Advise us as we sat down that we would be subject to the fee and give us the option to leave if we chose to.

I can say had we been given the option when we arrived, we would have left. I will not be back with a group that I need to plan for. Sorry - great food, service and ambience doesn't make up for the heartburn that this surprise created for us.

Table service by the server was great, BUT I had to score it low due to the service fail from the time I made reservations, seating, and final clue in on the new policy.