“Service was terrible and even a bit mean”
Review of El Horizonte

El Horizonte
Ranked #26 of 52 Restaurants in Carbondale
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Paonia
“Service was terrible and even a bit mean”
Reviewed June 8, 2012

Ate there for the probably tenth time, it has always had great food, never cheese loaded or greasy, my whole family has loved eating there, it is a handy stop for lunch or dinner as we go back and forth to Denver.

Historically, the service has been good and prompt. This last Sunday, June 3, 2012 at 5 pm it was truly terrible. There were few customers but I did get a menu quickly. However, the two female wait staff then proceeded to ignore me. After sitting for ten minutes, I finally flagged one of them over and asked if I could order, and she curtly nodded, did not say anything.

After the food came (good as usual) no beverage refills, and I got to watch the two wait staff ignore other customers while I ate. Then, after pushing my plate back, holding my wallet up, pushing my chair back, the two wait staff simply ignored the fact that me and other customers had finished eating, wanted to pay and leave. One other table of customers asked their wait person if they needed to pay, and got a cold stare in response. After another ten minutes, I just stood up and went over to the counter and asked to pay. During this time, both women staff were just leaning on the counter or filling the beer cooler, talking to each other or on the phone. When I asked to pay, the woman just glared at me, did not say a thing, not a word, and handed me a check.

The owner of this restaurant needs to pay attention to how their staff treats customers. I would come back due to the historical quality of the food but if treated like this again, I will not return. The wait staff need trained in customer relations, I will not pay to get treated with churlish meanness.

• Visited June 2012

Windsor, Connecticut
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Margs”
Reviewed January 11, 2012

Very good, authentic Mexican food. The margaritas were wonderful. We went during lunch and the service was a little slow, but other than that it was great.

Visited December 2011
1 Thank Gene Z
Boston, MA
“Terrific authentic Mexican/El Salvadorian food -- and a great value”
Reviewed December 30, 2011

If you care primarily about food quality, and like authentic Mexican and El Salvadorian food, El Horizonte is a great choice. It is located in a strip mall; atmosphere is very basic, but service is attentive and friendly, and they take care with their food. I am from Boston -- there are no restaurants in the Boston area with comparable quality Mexican food.

• Visited December 2011
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Fresh Mexican fare”
Reviewed November 23, 2011

Locally owned. Authentic Mexican foods. Fresh. Good beer selection. Killer margaritas. I like the fish tacos and veggie burrito and chile rellenos and their salsa.

Visited September 2011
1 Thank BCowner55
Carbondale, Colorado
“Authentic and delicious!”
Reviewed October 6, 2011

Local family restaurant that serves yummy El Salvadorian and Mexican food. The food is excellent but don't expect to get in and out in a timely manner.

• Visited September 2011