“Delicious food in a comfortable, family oriented atmosphere!”
Review of Konnyaku

Konnyaku
Ranked #4 of 53 Restaurants in Carbondale
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed May 10, 2012

The best Asian style restaurant I've had the chance to experience. Great food and a friendly waitstaff that go the extra mile were the cornerstones of this dining out experience. If you're not a fan of Asian cuisine, you will be once you leave. This mom and pop shop definitely leaves you wanting more.

1  Thank kinomehsyz

Reviewed April 22, 2012

My partner and I have been meaning to sample Konnyaku's cuisine for some time, and we were certainly not disappointed! Everything we ordered was beautifully prepared of the freshest ingredients, nicely presented, and delicious to eat. The menu features poke, prepared fresh daily, and we had the mixed ahi and salmon, which was delicious, absolutely fresh cubes of fish served with ponzu sauce, wasabi soy, and sesame oil. We had the atomic shrimp next, another signature dish, which is a shrimp tempura and asparagus dish with seven sauces blending sweet and spicy tastes, which seems to be a featured taste combination of Konnyaku. The salmon and vegetable fried rice was next, and was also delicious. Our entree was a dish of Volcano Lava Prawns, which are fried jumbo shrimp served with a spicy Asian garlic chipotle sauce (once again blending chili-hot with a touch of sweetness). There are thirty six different sakes at Konnyaku, and we had a sampler of three of them, very reasonably priced at $9. In fact our entire meal was quite inexpensive, including all the food and drinks I've already mentioned, plus a Sapporo beer, a sinfully decadent chocolate fondant with 4 scoops of ice cream, and green tea - all for about $85, before tip. Our servers were friendly and reasonably efficient, and the entire experience was lovely. With the exception of Matsuhisa in Vail and Aspen, Konnyaku in my opinion is the best restaurant of its type in the Valley. You have to look for it, as it is located on the road leading into Carbondale, not in the downtown area where all of the other good restaurants are, but it's well worth a visit!

1  Thank JulesLandsman
Reviewed April 12, 2012

I've been to this restaurant a number of times and the way I rate a restaurant is by the quality of the food and most important the consistancy of the quality. I must say that I have never had a meal in this restaurant that wasn't great. At least as good as the last time that I ate there. I find it hard to change what I order when I eat out, especially when I find a dish that I like. I changed that attitude when eating at Konnyaku because out of the 5 different entrees that I have tried everyone was excellent. And I might add that each one had such a different taste than the others. And I honestly can't say that I have a favorite. They were all outstanding. Also Konnyaku has some of the most unusual signature appetizers that I have ever tasted. Flavors devine. I must tell everyone, if your are traveling and vacationing up or down this valley, Aspen to Glenwood Springs, this restaurant is a must stop as one of your dining experiences. You might want to go back a second and third time during your vacation, that's how good this food is. By the way the owners I found out work every night, 7 nights a week. They are on the floor and do an amazing job. Kudo's to Susan, Willie, and Luis, (who is very rarely seen because he prepares the amazing dishes coming out of the kitchen). This restaurant is a diamond in the rough and it is just a matter of time until there will be a line out of the door. I hope that I don't have to be one of those people that have to wait in that line. I guess the reward would be worth the wait. Try it you'll love it.

1  Thank michael s
Reviewed April 9, 2012

My dinner partner and I were recommended to this restaurant by a local friend. We chose to dine on Monday evening near 7pm. When we arrived the place was empty but one table. Hmm!? Not good sign...but give it a chance. This was my first visit to a sushi restaurant and my experience was wonderful. Unknown to me upon arrival, Willie was behind the bar preparing a meal serving while wearing a well worn straw cowboy hat. Unusual to say the least. But his food creations were great, very tasty!! The wait person, I think was Susan, was very personal and attentive but not too much so. She gave us first class service. As our meal was served Willie came to our table to ask of our impressions. As we spoke and introduced ourselves he explained the menu, make recommendations which we followed to our satisfaction. Willie also kindly gave instructions for chop sticks, much appreciated. Desert tray was too good!! The deserts are I believe locally made and all nearing sinfully good. As you see, we sere impressed and look forward to our return visit. For us there is no other sushi restaurant better in the mid valley. These people welcomed us into their place and made us feel at home. Local down home folk who know how to make comfortable, lasting, favorable memories. Well done Willie and Susan. Thanks for our great dinner and evening. We enjoyed getting acquainted!!

Reviewed February 22, 2012

I'm used to plenty of Sushi restaurants and I'd have to say I was disappointed with Konnyaku. It's not as if they weren't trying. The service was excellent. They owners made sure you were taken care of. Atmosphere was good.

What disappointed me though was these were the smallest portions I've yet experienced in a Sushi restaurant. Can you say "half size rolls"? When I looked at the bill I felt like we should have dined at 689 or Russetts or Tempranillo in Basalt. Premium prices (expensive) and small portions may work in Aspen but not in Carbondale Colorado.

I'm disappointed.