“Must see! Came all the way from Florida to see this! Totally Awesome!”

Museum of Lead Mining
More attraction details
Owner description: Museum of Lead Mining, is situated in Wanlockhead Village, which is the highest village in Scotland, we are 1531 feet above sea level. At the museum we have our Visitor Centre, Tour of Scotland's only real underground Lead Mine, 3 Period Cottages 1750,1850 and 1910. We also have the 2nd Oldest Subscription Library with the original collection of almost 3,000 books, which is the original Miners' collection. This is a Recognised Collection. If you would like to sample Gold Panning you can try one of our taster sessions. After your tour you can sit and relax in our Tearoom and sample the delightful homemade treats on offer, then finally you can visit our Gift Shop which hosts Local Crafts, Minerals, and lots more. Wanlockhead is known as a SSSI Site of Special Scientific Interest.
Reviewed August 13, 2013

I wish I could have brought my friend, Audrey, to see this wonderful place. She works at a state park in Florida. This lead mining museum in Wanlockhead has a little bit of everything for everyone. You can do as much or as little of it as you like. Tours include, a real lead mine, no longer in use, gold panning for real gold, the miners library with books dating back to the 15th century. Hand written original first editions, the cottages with examples of how the miners and their families lived through the years, the tea room with the greatest scones I have ever tasted.

The staff was absolutely outstanding. Tony gave the mine tour. He was animated about the whole subject of the mine. He gave the whole history of it as if he had been there himself. He also had a great sense of humor which really made me enjoy the story even more. Wonderful man. Anne, gave the tour in the cottages. She also was very well spoken, insightful, and was careful to make sure everyone had a good view and could hear well. Her compassion for the families and what their lives were like came through. Also, very enjoyable to listen to. David, gave the tour of the library. He also was very passionate about the history of the library and people who lived there during that time. He played for us a recording of what a conversation between the librarian and a miner of the time obtaining his library card for the first time. It was not what it was today. It was also very interesting.

There is a nice gift shop there with all kinds gifts from very affordable to something very special if that's what you were looking for.

The surrounding village and scenery amazing. Black faced sheep dotted the area. You can bring your dog there if you like. It is a dog friendly place.

I did really enjoy it and would recommend it again and again. Too much to see and do just in one day. Also very affordable.

Reviewed August 7, 2013

This is an excellent museum which should be more widely known than it is. The trip down the lead mine is very interesting and evocative. The miners' subscription library was a surprise - a superb collection, originally owned and run by the miners themselves. The Museum displays of how the miners lived over the centuries, their conditions of work and their chosen pursuits, add up to a fascinating insight into social history from the point of view of the workers. Dedicated staff made this a friendly, informative visit. We were lucky to stay in a super B&B in Wanlockhead itself. It's a pity the hostel has closed as the village is such an interesting place to be. We came by the Southern Upland Way so had no transport - a good way to experience how it felt to be here before motor transport.

My only caveat: what a pity Health and Safety made the Museum seal up the entrance to the lower mine. One of us remembered what it was like on a previous visit - really interesting, atmospheric and perfectly safe. Maybe we'll be allowed to have it open again one day when sanity rules again.

I'm almost sure the museum has all the access in place as detailed below. I haven't checked every box because I didn't actually look. The cafe is great, and friendly to people with boots and rucksacks (and everyone else too I have no doubt.)

Reviewed August 3, 2013

What a fantastic visitor attraction. We spent over 3 hours visiting the mine, the cottages, the library and the tearoom. All were excellent with pleasant, welcoming and knowledgable staff and guides.
We've often passed the road end to Leadhills/Wanlockhead but never actually taken the trouble to visit the villages. I would urge you to make the detour - it's great

Reviewed August 2, 2013

The Wanlockhead Museum of Lead Mining is an excellent museum in itself with various other elements attached. I arrived fairly late in the afternoon and only had time for a very quick look round the museum followed by the guided tour of the drift (lead) mine and the restored miners' cottages. I tend to like looking round museums in depth and reading all the stuff there is (much to the annoyance of my children and grandchildren if they are with me!) so as they closed at 4.30 the lady of reception gave ,me a voucher to come back and resume my tour within a couple of days. I was then able to go back and spend a decent amount of time going round the museum and looking round the nearby subscription library (fascinating). I did not try their 'Gold Panning Experience' but if my wife will agree to taking the grandsons north to the area I'm certain this is something they would really enjoy. I noticed the museum had a very nice 'tearoom' but as I'm trying hard to watch my weight (and was already eating too much on this trip) I gave it a miss. The Museum calls itself 'Hidden Treasures' referring to the treasure in the mines but in reality it is the museum itself that is the 'hidden treasure'.

Reviewed August 1, 2013

we had thoroughly enjoyable day T ony the guide was witty and informative gave us an excellent tour. the village is pretty and the day was capped off with one of the best bowls of leek and potato soup i have ever tried