“A great experience”
Review of Calypso Adventures - CLOSED

Calypso Adventures
Reviewed November 29, 2013

This was our first snorkelling trip out to the Great Barrier Reef and chose Calypso Adventure because it was a small boat only catering for up to 12 guests. It turned out to be a good choice because the two locations where we stopped to swim were superb and of course uncrowded. For our trip we had Chrissy and Seán crew the boat and both were great fun to be with. Chrissy came across as a very competent instructor, and Seán had plenty of experiences to share. The whole day was relaxed with lots of time to snorkell and explore the reef. We even got lucky and saw a whitetip reef shark (harmless). I would definitely go back.

2  Thank trevorjb

Reviewed November 16, 2013

We booked this while in Port Douglas in October. We are keen snorkelers and the fact that there was a maximum group of twelve really appealed to us. It wasn't the cheapest at $250pp but we felt sure it would be worth it. We arrived at 9.15am prompt as instructed and Andy did a briefing before we left port. We were told it may be a bit rough initially but once we were within the lagoon we would have a fabulous experience. It was indeed a rough crossing, being a small boat you certainly feel it!! The table and chairs on deck were getting thrown from one side to another and that's while we were sat in them! A computer screen was flung off the worktop within the cabin and the fridge door was flung open, while later as lunch was served plates went crashing to the floor!
We certainly couldn't wait to get to the calm waters of the lagoon we had been promised. When the boat anchored we couldn't believe it. The swell was just as bad with the boat going up and down as well as sideways we were told to get in and enjoy. One poor girl had already started being sick on the crossing over and my friend was sick while in the water. My husband and I were ok at this point even though we were getting thrown around and concerned about being able to stay near the boat because of the swell. What we could see of the reef was beautiful, but because of the conditions it wasn't very clear even the fish were getting pulled to and fro.Getting back on the boat was hard and quite scary. My friend and the other guest were really quite poorly at this stage, my friend has been snorkeling for years and never been sea sick. we were told it was high tide and it would only get better at the next stop. They then decided to put a fishing line out to see if we could catch dinner?? Indeed a tuna was hooked quickly but as they were bringing it in Andy had to shoot off to take control of the boat as it was all over the place the tuna was thrown in a cool box still attached to the hook and line and while Andy got the boat under control we had to sit there listening to it thrashing around until it died in a blood bath...very humane! This didn't help any one who was feeling queasy.
Lunch consisted of wraps, cheese and fruit not very adventurous. The next stop was even worse and I feel very dangerous. It was like a seen from a movie with bodies bobbing up and down and being thrown around in the swell, I got out pretty quickly, it really wasn't safe and you couldn't see a thing it was that churned up. People were really starting to be sick now and the decision to head back to port was made. It was awful, so so rough.
I have written a fair few reviews for TA and have always said it as it was and this review is the same, an honest review of the day. I feel the trip should have been cancelled on safety grounds, there is enough technology available to help forecast these conditions and Andy and Chrissy made a BIG mistake that day when they decided to go out. They should thank their lucky stars no one was lost overboard. I am sure they will respond with some sort of excuse.....that seems to be the case with other reviews.

15  Thank uptowngirl1
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Calypso Adventure provided the perfect first experience of the wonders of the barrier reef. The snorkling/dive instructor Chrissey was fantastic in provided a safe and supportive environment for novices. Small number of people on a small boat ensured personalised attention and maximum time in the water. Andy's knowledge and stories kept us well entertained.

1  Thank Jim A
Reviewed August 5, 2013

We have been out to the reef from Port Douglas several times with different operators but had a GREAT day out with Calypso Adventures. The overall experience was a personal one (they take no more than 12 guests on board) we enjoyed the cruise out to the reef in a very comfortable boat, snorkelled at two different and interesting locations and had a lovely lunch along with a glass of champagne to enjoy while watching the reef. Andy and Chrissy were both very professional and great fun to spend the day with. Highly reccomend!

Reviewed August 2, 2013

I've been out on the reef before but was still scared this time around, Chrissy my dive instructor held my hand the whole time and made me feel very comfortable. It was a wonderful experience and I got to see things I didn't get to see on my other trip because small groups give them the possibility to spend extra time with you individually. Will definitely be going out with calypso adventures again next time!