“Room OK - rest of it bad news”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Canon City
McKinney, Texas
“Room OK - rest of it bad news”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2009

First the good news - the room was OK. Not great, but acceptable. the hotel has a good location - right across the street from the train station. If you're taking that excursion train thru the Royal Gorge, call ithe hotel in advance and tell them you have a train reservation, and they'll give you a special "Train Rate."

Now the bad news - the place really looks old and run down. Most unappealing lobby we've ever seen. The comp. breakfast was very meager and the room was overcrowded - they ran out of things and had little interest in replenishing. On our second morning, we went elsewhere for breakfast.

Next visit to Canon City, we'll stay somewhere else.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TexasZuggie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2009

Stayed two nights here, no complaints.

The women at the front desk were very very friendly. Great with check in and answering any questions we had about the area.

This is an older hotel. But it was clean. The only thing was the pool area, could have been a bit more clean but was not horrible. Also, the water in the pool was a darker color, not sure if it's dirty or chemicals. My son swam as did many other people and had fun. The pool itself is fairly small. There is a hot tub.

Our hotel room was great. It was clean. There were some black scuff marks on a couple of walls. The wall above the shower could use a swipe of cleaner. I'm not remembering the carpet but it must have been ok.
They have coffee in the rooms. The TV had a lot of channels.
The beds were fairly comfortable, firmer than I like but ok.

The breakfast was good, waffles, donuts, bagels, toast, hard boiled eggs and yogurt. I never saw any fresh fruit though. The breakfast area was kept clean, small room.

They do not have an elevator, we were on the first floor so was not an issue for us.

One of the best things, there is a Baskin Robbins right next door.

The location is great.
I would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2009

We stayed for 2 nights and the hotel was alright. Definetly nothing fancy, but it was overall pretty clean even though it's a little older of a hotel. The room was very basic. The free breakfast was decent: waffles, bagels, cereal, yogurt, etc. The staff was nice and kept some food in the kitchen fridge for us when we asked since there was not a fridge in the room.
The best part is the location. It's right across the street from the Royal Gorge Railroad and the Dinosaur Depot. One block the other way is Main Street- the part of town with many old buildings, antique shops, restaurants, an old one screen movie theater, etc. We could walk from the hotel to any of these so that was very convenient.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2008

I always do research on places to stay before we travel especially if we're staying more than one night. That's what I did this time too and have never been so wrong. We booked four nights at Comfort Inn and only stayed one. I wouldn't have done that if there was any other solution. It was dirty, the toilet had problems, the room which was supposed to be non smoking had a bad smoking odor, the hot tub had green "stuff" in it and on the sides, the pool was filthy and when our grandson got out he had a wad of hair clinging to his leg. Had the health department known would they would have closed it down. Our whole experience was disgusting. I felt sorry for the employees working there especially the young lady who tried to deal with the hot tub when another guest reported the green yuck. When we checked out and canceled our other nights I was asked if there was anything wrong. There was no point in going into detail if the management couldn't see the obvious. Don't stay here until you see better reviews.

• Stayed July 2008
1 Thank GabbaIllinois

Travelers are raving about these Canon City hotels

Chicago
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2008

Dirty hotel...very old and not well maintained. Dirty pool water...couldn't see the bottom of the pool. Note in the hotel room that if you "stained the towels" by removing your makeup with them they would charge you for them (what a joke!).
Skip this hotel and look for another when staying in Canon City, CO.

• Liked — checking out
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank bmersh
Arlington, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2008

I was in Canon City to move my mother to an assisted living facility so, needless to say, this was a stressful time. I had spent the previous week in the Canon City Holiday Inn Express but could not bear the thought of staying there again. On the recommendation of my mother's friend who works at Dinosaur Depot (across the street from Comfort Inn) I reserved a double room for my sister and me.

What a relief! The woman at the front desk was so kind and helpful. The room was clean and everyone was extremely responsive to our needs.

The first night of my stay I reported a noisy bathroom fan. The next morning it was repaired.

Each night I returned to my clean room, which had great TV reception and excellent wi-fi. Never ever had a problem with cell phone reception either.

Although we did not have time to use the pool, it did look clean and inviting.

I would recommend the Comfort Inn Canon City to anyone planning a visit there.

• Liked — The people working there
  • Disliked — Parking lot noise, though was not really an issue
  • Stayed April 2008
1 Thank Nemain
raysleslie, manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, June 9, 2008
This sweet lady was a joy to have stay with us. She had some problem that she didn't elaborate on with the hotel where she had stayed when she was here before, but she seemed very pleased with us, and we with her. Thank you!
Hardy, Arkansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2008

My family from Missouri, Michigan , Florida, Kentucky, and Minnesota stayed here for my neices wedding. We basically took over 1 wing of the hotel. We were all accomodated with everything we asked for and services more than expected by the staff. The staff was friendly and helpful with our needs. Our requested room accomodations and personal requests were all attended to without hesitation. Our rooms were clean and if we needed anything more, the staff was right there to help. Breakfast foods were a bit more than some hotels I stayed and were replenished as needed. We declined the use of air fresheners in our rooms, as we all have allergies. We didn't need them anyway as the hotel had no unpleaseant odor as was noted in other reviews. With our busy schedule, we didn't use the pool but we saw othere guest enjoying it. I would stay here again and so would the family. Cheri

• Stayed January 2008, traveled with family