“Great and not great”

Ranked #12 of 13 Hotels in Canon City
Phoenix, Arizona
“Great and not great”
Reviewed July 10, 2012

When I arrived, my front desk experience was the most professional I've ever encountered. A young man named Bren helped me with every aspect of checking in and even offered to help with my luggage. My request for a quiet room was met with a discussion of the fact that there were neighbors behind the property with loud dogs and that they had been warned. If I had any problem, I should let them know. Thankfully, the dogs were never a concern and the a/c kept any outside noise to a minimum. The room was comfortable, no complaints there although the tub drained very slowly. In the evening when I went out to dinner, the front desk was abandoned and when I checked out the next morning, it was still abandoned. I had questions about whether there was any breakfast provided, but no one showed up and I went elsewhere for food. Altogether, a great beginning but I was left feeling abandoned as a guest after checking in.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank mhouse2001

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed July 9, 2012

A very clean, very economical stopover. We stayed here a couple of nights during a much longer Colorado trip mixing a little business and a lot of pleasure. This motel looks like your average motor lodge, but the proprietors here work hard to keep the place clean and in good repair. Make no mistake, this is not a luxury vacation resort. It is a motor lodge, motel, whatever you choose to call it; but when we stayed, it was obvious that it got far better attention and upkeep than other such places. It is basic, but clean - and the people at the desk were very nice folks.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank TJB19
Canon City, Colorado
Reviewed February 20, 2011

When arriving after booking through Expedia, the clerk was extremely rude. After this experience, we decided not to stay there. After calling back to speak with management, she hung up on me and refused to connect me to management.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Janet2364

Travelers are raving about these Canon City hotels

Germany
Reviewed September 28, 2010

We stayed at the Royal Gorge Budget Inn based on the posted reviews. I can safely say we will never stay there again. You couldn't adjust the water temp in the bath, the wi fi didn't work though the manager. who is hard to find, insisted that it did, the "breakfast was only a muffin, and left over muffins came back the next morning. There is a paranoid atmosphere with the staff hiding behind a one way mirror in the lobby. The managers communication skills are limited (she is korean) and she doesn't try to resolve issues. There were no cars in the parking lot when we arrived and we should have taken our cue from that. You can easily do better in Canon City.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
4 Thank Katmandukid
The Woodlands, TX
Reviewed July 31, 2009

Best staff ever!! Really made you feel at home and welcome. Sam was AWESOME!! He came to check on us in the pool and see that everyhting was okay. When I mentioned that the Hot Tub was too hot, he not only turned it down, he also added cool water with the hose. Skip the breakfast buffet, it is just a few muffins and some juice and coffee but the hotel is right behind the Burger King so we just ate there. The room was nice but the beds were a little harder than I like and also, there were not enough pillows. I'm sure if I would have called Sam, he would have brought me some but it was too late to bother by the time we got out of the pool and got to bed. They also have an awesome sauna in the pool area.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank LibbyKinder
LasAnimas
Reviewed July 24, 2009

wife nad i had the time of our life staff and owners treated us like royalty
i have never stayed at ahotel that would take you in like family
i cant praise their efforts to make us feel at home
we only intended to stay over night and ended up there for a week
thanks mom dave trevor and sam
im sure we will be back soon
you guys stay safe n till next time
Scott n Dana P.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LasAnimasScott
Colorado Springs
Reviewed July 20, 2009

The room was ok for $70 a night. We went to the pool...... It was hot and the water looked like it was not cleaned for months. We did not go in...
The room lost it AC at about 2:30am and the room was HOT....
Got up in the morning to take a shower and it was like taking a bath at the same time. The tub did not drain.
Were told they have muffins and coffee, and juice in the morning from 7am - 9am. Went down at 7am and there were no muffins and the juice was a gallon of fruit punch. When asked about the muffins were told they were all gone.... We got there at 7am.....
We just left. I guess all I can say is "you get what you pay for"....

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple