“Was probably a Gem, but now tired and not well run”

Quality Inn & Suites
Ranked #10 of 13 Hotels in Canon City
Reviewed July 19, 2012

Two Story with no Elevator. See my experience below (I knew this when I reserved) Stayed in Goldie Hawn room, Rooms tired and worn, bathrooms dated, poor lighting. My Story: I had read other reviews about no elevator and since I was only gong to stay one night and leave early I reserved a AAA "Pool Side" room to ensure I got a bottom floor for a quick get away without having lug luggage up/down stairs. When I arrived and stated my reservation the desk person was polite and gave me a 2nd floor room at a different rate than I had reserved. When I replied where are the elevators, they responded with there are no elevators but we can have someone help you if you would like... To which I responded I had reserved a "Pool side room and would they like to see my reservation details (that I had in the car). The desk person then turned to the (I assume Manager) and without even asking her what to do... the Manager replied "switch it". I was then given the "Pool Side" room that was "obviously" available. WONDER WHY I WAS NOT GIVEN WHAT I HAD RESERVED IN THE FIRST PLACE??? Could it have been they wanted to get full price for the room and just thought I would not catch it?? My guess... YES. Beware,,,, the rooms are "tired and overpriced", at least make sure you get what you requested.

Room Tip: Make sure they don't switch rooms on you, get what you reserved...
1  Thank RVNut63

Reviewed July 17, 2012

We stayed here for one night before a rafting trip, and the experience was average. This is an older hotel that has seen better days. As others have noted, the lighting is poor, the wallpaper is peeling, and the carpet is threadbare. But, it was clean, the room was large, breakfast was adequate, and it was quiet. The people at the front desk were very friendly and helpful, and other than a somewhat temperamental heating/cooling unit, we had no major complaints.

1  Thank Arlo89
Reviewed July 15, 2012

I'm always curious about burned out light bulbs in hotel rooms. Don't the housekeepers need to turn on all the lights to make sure they adequately clean the room? Wouldn't they change the burned out bulbs so they can see the room? Apparently not at the Quality in Canon City. Two burned out lights upon entering our room. But we lucked out, because when the bulbs got replaced, the room was clean- thankfully. Those bulbs must have burned out as the housekeeper slammed the door on the way out. Then in the morning, there was no water pressure - the desk clerk said that happens when they start washing the linens too early in the morning. So they turned off the washing machine so we could flush - what a relief (in several ways). Finally, the A/C unit was more like a bad alarm clock - it was loud enough to wake me up every 30 minutes throughout the night. We paid about $100 a night, which was about what I expected for summer in C.C. Where the Quality Inn failed was that it just didn't live up to its name, or the reputation of the brand. If you find a better stay, let us know.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
Reviewed July 13, 2012 via mobile

The staff was great, but the rooms were not good at all. Very old & worn down. The toilet hardly flushed, the sink sprayed water out the sides of faucet, the screen on the sliding door was ripped from frame, the bedspread smelled dirty & musty. We paid $100 for the room & it was maybe worth $50. Maybe.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed July 10, 2012

This is not a bad hotel, just overpriced for what's offered. That's the only reason I rated it "poor". They added an interesting touch by putting plaques on some of the doors to the rooms that said John Wayne, Sam Elliot, Goldie Hawn, Jack Elam etc stayed here. We stayed in the "John Belushi" room. It was O.K., comfortable, clean... But this hotel is OLD and looks old. John Wayne DIED 33 years ago and didn't work allot the last few years of his life so think how old this hotel is--probably built in the 60's. Back then, it was probably the ONLY hotel in town when these people were here making movies. The rooms are not well equipped--no refrigerator, no microwave, no in-room internet... I'm told some rooms have some of these things but for the $108 per night we paid, we thought it was high for what you get. There is a bar/grill at the hotel that serves food. The steak dinner is good and reasonable, the fish plate was like eating fish stix. There are two pool tables which would be nice for those who like billiards. It also has an outdoor swimming pool with a glassed-in sun room with hot tubs facing the pool area. The pool is located in the middle of the complex so no outsiders can get in or around any kids swimming in the pool. That was a nice idea. The security is also very good--better than most hotels we've stayed at. Housekeeping was very nice and considerate of guests. The hotel bent a few rules for us since about 20 of us came in for a wedding and would meet for breakfast or in the sun room area to visit in the evenings. The rooms are poorly lighted. We had a ground floor room (I think ALL ground floor rooms have sliding glass doors). Our room faced the street/parking/entrance area so we couldn't open the curtains if we wanted any privacy--which made the room really gloomy during the day. The in-room heat and air had one setting--on and off. Not much in between. If we left the air on at night, it was really cold. If we cooled the room, then turned it off for bedtime, it got too warm by morning. The continental breakfast left allot to be desired. I don't think this hotel has elevators either--all we saw were stairs. The business center/internet access is at a desk in a main hallway. If there's a fitness center i didn't see it. We travel allot and have stayed at allot of hotels. $108 per night is NO BARGAIN for this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a refrigerator and microwave on the second floor so you can open the curtains...
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Older hotel. Still clean and upkept. Would stay again.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed July 7, 2012

First the pros: The staff was very friendly, helpful and accomodating. The room, and property in general was very clean, a nice size room (2 queen) with room to spare, a beautiful courtyard with a heated inground pool (they say is open year round!), and the bathroom was clean with good water pressure. The price per night was affordable

The cons: Poor hallway lighting, the laundry room washing machine didn't work (they did reimburse me) and the maintenance man said it hadn't been working for some time...but no sign saying out of order. There seemed to be some guests who were "residents" and kind of stalked around the grounds...a little spookey to me?

Overall, for the general area this is one of the nicer hotels...but don't expect the Ritz.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family